Blue Jays Discussion: Spring Training is over. The season begins today

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I didn't know Martinez was struggling at 2B defensively. That makes things a little more complicated in the short term with Vlad and Turner on the same swinging side at 1b/dh.

I’m just scouting the stat line. He wasn’t good at 3B and in 14 games he has 5 errors already. Moving to 3 different spots in less than 3 years is concerning. But no problem if the bat is for real.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It's bizarre because as a younger prospect he was projected to be an Adrian Beltre caliber defender. With his arm slot, I'm not even sure if the outfield is an ideal option. Then again Alex Rios had a low 3/4 release as well and he could still gun down runners.

It is. Disappointing he isn’t putting in the work. To be a player in your early 20s and fail at 3 positions so poorly isn’t a great indicator of his work ethic.

That being said, I take it if the bat is for real.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It is. Disappointing he isn’t putting in the work. To be a player in your early 20s and fail at 3 positions so poorly isn’t a great indicator of his work ethic.

Might as well just throw him in left and put KK on the bench, or he eventually replaces Vladdy at first.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Honestly, I've been one of the most vocal IKF detractors, but if I'm grading based on performance to this point, it's an easy A+. A 114 wRC+ with his defense and versatility is ridiculously valuable.
So far so good with IKF. He's pacing 4+ WAR, so I can get on board with an A if it's only based on the present. I think he's a better fit than Chapman, but given his career numbers, a correction is likely coming.

I’m just scouting the stat line. He wasn’t good at 3B and in 14 games he has 5 errors already. Moving to 3 different spots in less than 3 years is concerning. But no problem if the bat is for real.
If he could somehow figure it out at 2B or LF that would be huge. Looks like 3B is out of the cards now.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
  1. Springer - .634
  2. Vladdy - .745
  3. Bichette - .622
  4. Turner. -- .938
  5. Varsho — .828
  6. Jansen — .946
  7. Biggio —— .762
  8. IKF ------ .714
  9. Schneider — .704
I'm pretty happy with the production from 4-9 in the lineup so far, especially when Jansen (short sample size) and Schneider play. KK hitting 9 has been a little bit better of late with good defence. Vlad also had a good game yesterday. We just need to get Springer and Bichette going.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Martinez works his ass off all the time.

Always out on the field for early work.

His bat is what has gotten him this far, and I guess the hope is he can have a Jeter like transition to the big leagues.

Jeter was atrocious in the minors at SS. But he could hit. Came up, was vastly over-rated as a SS but was still better than most.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
  1. Springer - .634
  2. Vladdy - .745
  3. Bichette - .622
  4. Turner. -- .938
  5. Varsho — .828
  6. Jansen — .946
  7. Biggio —— .762
  8. IKF ------ .714
  9. Schneider — .704
I'm pretty happy with the production from 4-9 in the lineup so far, especially when Jansen (short sample size) and Schneider play. KK hitting 9 has been a little bit better of late with good defence. Vlad also had a good game yesterday. We just need to get Springer and Bichette going.

Worst 5-9 in baseball though.

Reactions: canucksfan

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
He is out of options. When did he start pitching well?
When they sent him down to AAA last year he seemed to turn a corner then had a great spring and started the season well from what I recall. I see his era was a little higher so he must have had a bad outing. I know he didn’t have options left but he seemed worth a bit more of a look

1. Springer - .634
  2. Vladdy - .745
  3. Bichette - .622
  4. Turner. -- .938
  5. Varsho — .828
  6. Jansen — .946
  7. Biggio —— .762
  8. IKF ------ .714
  9. Schneider — .704
I keep saying it but they need to find a new leadoff man. Springer is not it. I think he’ll have Keirmaiers spot next year. If they don’t just pander to him

Reactions: Puckstuff

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
When they sent him down to AAA last year he seemed to turn a corner then had a great spring and started the season well from what I recall. I see his era was a little higher so he must have had a bad outing. I know he didn’t have options left but he seemed worth a bit more of a look

I keep saying it but they need to find a new leadoff man. Springer is not it. I think he’ll have Keirmaiers spot next year. If they don’t just pander to him
He started the season with a strong outing (3 shutout innings) and has been awful since (6 runs in 7 innings). It wasn't one bad outing that threw off the numbers... he's been bad in 3 of 4 appearances.

There were signs of potential in the spring, but even then his numbers weren't very good: 4.50 ERA with 11 BB and 14 K in 18 IP. That's bad. I think we probably saw him end the spring with a strong start and extrapolated that.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Would you look at that the Jays offense is top 10 in WAR and wRC+;

Again, Jays are in a playoff spot and their best hitter is ok and the next 3 are pretty awful;

Guerrero: 125 wRC+
Springer: 94
Bichette: 83
Kirk: 48

Jays pitching is ranked 27th in fWAR with 0.9 with their ace having a 8 ERA and some of their best relievers pitching poorly or only getting back now in Romano, Swanson, Mayza, and Cabrera.

Your top hitters will get better but the lower guys carrying them now which will level off too. You pen will settle in and your starters like Bassitt and Gausman should improve. Not to mention the Jays have the best defense in the league by a long shot;

Jays are in a playoff spot, currently on pace for 93 wins and are 2 GB of the division (they win game 3 vs the Yankees and they are tied for 1st). FG has them for 86 wins which is 7th in baseball and 4th in the AL;

Yankees: 91
Baltimore: 89
Rays: 87
Jays: 86

10 of your next 13 games are against the Royals and Nationals.

Stay healthy with a regression to the mean, this team is where it should be. Playoff team in the hunt for the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad