Spring 2016 Prospect Poll: #2

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect critera are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Spring '16 Top 20
1. Hudson Fasching, RW: 82 of 101 votes, 81.19% (runner up: Justin Bailey, 13 votes)

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED
G: Jonas Johansson, Jason Kasdorf, Nathan Lieuwen, Andrey Makarov

D: Brady Austin, Ivan Chukarov, Anthony Florentino, Devante Stephens

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Dan Catenacci, Jerry D'Amigo, Jean Dupuy, Giorgio Estephan, Alex Guptill, Connor Hurley, Colin Jacobs, Justin Kea, Sean Malone, Jack Nevins, Victor Olofsson, Judd Peterson, Gustav Possler, Evan Rodrigues, Tim Schaller, Maxwell Willman

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ullmark, though it's a weird conflation of situations that have landed him 2nd on my board (and Peterson third). My highest rated skater is Bailey.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This isn't a knock on Hudson Fasching as I think he is a good prospect but it is not a good sign if he is your #1 prospect.

I vote Guhle. Hopefully between Guhle,Martin,Borgen and Stephens I hope one of them is a top 4 dman and another is at least a third pairing guy.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
This isn't a knock on Hudson Fasching as I think he is a good prospect but it is not a good sign if he is your #1 prospect.

I vote Guhle. Hopefully between Guhle,Martin,Borgen and Stephens I hope one of them is a top 4 dman and another is at least a third pairing guy.

Eh, it's a snapshot. They graduated the top three from the preseason list this year, and they'll have a top 10 pick to supersede Fasching over the summer. Though I certainly don't disagree that this group doesn't have an elite level guy to choose from. That's because they're all on the Sabres.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo

It's a good sign if you have a 21-year old, 20-year old, and 19-year old producing at the NHL level

I couldn't care less about having a "weak" prospect pool

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

If Eichel and Reinhart were still developing outside the NHL and were considered the teams top 2 prospects would it make you feel better?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Well what do you expect when our first round picks from the previous 5 seasons are all graduated into the NHL (Girgensons, Risto, Reinhart, Eichel) or traded (Armia, Grigorenko, Zadorov)? Those are the guys that normally top off your pool. So Fasching has surpassed our recent second round picks (Guhle, Cornell, Karabacek, Compher, Hurley, Bailey) - I'd call that a good thing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They have a deep group but not a flashy group. Seven of them have already played at the NHL level in some capacity, which is encouraging. The loss of guys like Compher and Lemeiux also cuts in on this sort of poll, as both of them would be in my top five given this current group. It's time to restock the pipeline.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It's not a good sign for the quality of the prospect pool but prospect pools are what they are. They don't give a good picture of a team's future, especially once you have your young core pieces in place. This unimpressive list of prospects exists in a context, mostly, of guys we need to plug depth spots to flesh out the roster. Further down the line it'll be guys we'll need to step in and replace cap casualties with their ELCs.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Tough call for me between Bailey, Ullmark and Guhle. Went for Ullmark - I see his ceiling as vezina-winning skill.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Add Estephan.

Why is Cornel getting votes over him? Estephan's first post-draft season is far better than Cornel's.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Add Estephan.

Why is Cornel getting votes over him? Estephan's first post-draft season is far better than Cornel's.

I have them both a 7 on 'ceiling' (Second Line Forward/Shutdown Center/Second Pairing Dman/Average #1 G). I give Cornel the slight edge (4 versus 3) in floor, and Cornell beats him 6-5 in development (by being a year older and looking like he will get a contract). The big difference is I just have more faith in Cornel, I have him projected a 6 (3rd line forward/3rd pairing dman/high end backup G) but Estephan a 4.5 (basically a borderline NHL player). If Estephan has a season next year that builds on this year I imagine he would shoot up my rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad