GDT: Spring’s Revenge - WSH @ SEA - 3 AM UTC - December 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Looks like Burakovsky is now a more consistent offensive contributor. A solid top six forward.

I would be mad but as you know, it never would have happened here. Nope. It's impossible to develop these guys. You have to get rid of them for pennies. It's the law. It's not a failure of the coaching or the management or the entire organization that young players leave this team and find their groove elsewhere.

We simply didn't have the room for him. Hagelin needed that ice time to do his thing.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
So the ex-Caps are doing allright:
Bura: 22 GP - 9G, 14A
Sprong: 15GP - 5G, 8A

Sprong's numbers really stand out. On average he is playing around 10 mins a game but is almost at point per game. Oh and he's a +8 for the year so far.

Edit:
Wow I missed Shultz's numbers - 16 points in 22 games. o_O

Jun 15, 2007

Sprong's numbers really stand out. On average he is playing around 10 mins a game but is almost at point per game. Oh and he's a +8 for the year so far.
Dang. This is pure hindsight though. No one thought Sprong was good. Everyone wanted to dump him so we could play Hagelin more. Oh well.

Reactions: HTFN and um

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dang. This is pure hindsight though. No one thought Sprong was good. Everyone wanted to dump him so we could play Hagelin more. Oh well.
Not sure if this is sarcasm but that’s not completely true, at least not the first part. I was a big Sprong supporter (as were others) and thought he provided exactly what this team needed: speed and goal scoring ability. But of course he wasn’t a plugger and grinder so he didn’t fit here because why would you want to play players who are good at doing the hardest thing I’m the sport (scoring goals) when you can play players who are bad at it but good at other yet less important stuff?

Been saying for years now that Washington changed its identity too much from an attacking team with game breakers up and down the lineup to plodders who were only effective in a specific system. I understand wanting to balance the roster but the pendulum swung way too far and you could see it in their drafting as well taking guys like Kody Clark, Riley Sutter, Lucas Johansen, Beck Malenstyn, etc with premium picks.

Sprong, Burakovsky, Vrana, Stephenson. Could almost come up with a top six of forwards we gave away since the pendulum swung away from drafting and developing guys who could score to prioritizing guys who could forecheck and block shots, even though those guys are a dime a dozen and can be found anywhere.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like Burakovsky is now a more consistent offensive contributor. A solid top six forward.

I would be mad but as you know, it never would have happened here. Nope. It's impossible to develop these guys. You have to get rid of them for pennies. It's the law. It's not a failure of the coaching or the management or the entire organization that young players leave this team and find their groove elsewhere.

We simply didn't have the room for him. Hagelin needed that ice time to do his thing.
Bura needed a big dose of grow the F up. He got it with the move and he’s flourished as a secondary offensive player now getting primary time on an expansion team. Had nothing to do with the nonsense you’re suggesting lol….😂

Bad morning lol?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
3 am UTC

wynonna-earp-nicole-haught.gif

math-confuse.gif

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Edit:
Wow I missed Shultz's numbers - 16 points in 22 games. o_O

Yeah but look how bad Seattle is doing in the standings.... oh wait :(

All that stuff said, I refuse to miss Shultz but I'd love to have Burt and Spronger back.

Reactions: Hivemind

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Come on, Sprong refused to actually play in the system, held onto the puck too long, and his shooting percentage seemed to plummet last year.

I agree that we are in desperate need of players with that skill set - but his attitude seemed to stink last year. Maybe a bit of that is on Lavi and his staff, I don’t know.

Plus - wide open, defense and back checking optional hockey seems to work fine in the Pacific. So it may just be a better fit for him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not as bad as the job Brian Mac has done as the GM of this team!
What short memories we have

4 PST, for those playing at home

Oh sh*t. Sprong is definitely scoring tonight.

The fact that Ovi era might finish with one cup seems criminal which falls on both McPhee and Mac. Happy we won one but should have had at least one more.
One had what, 12 of Ovy’s years? (Plus the ones where he had youth on his side). 0/12 is a lot worse than 1/6.

By the odds, we should have 3.

f*** McPhee

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Periodic reminder that Daniel Sprong gave up a full goal less per 60 minute than TJ Oshie last year (he had the 4th best GA/60 among Capitals forwards with 40+ GP), and his composite metrics had him in line with basically every other scoring forward on the Caps. The whole "backchecking optional" and "defensive liability" stuff is a myth made up to justify why he was benched and shipped off.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

You’re overlooking many factors.

His competition for ice time was never Hagelin. He was competing with Vrana for the #2LW spot.
With his lack of progress and our cap situation at that time, we couldn’t afford to keep him. From his point of view, he wanted a top 6 role, which was never going to happen in Washington.

We dealt Burakovsky to make room for Vrana who was deemed to have more upside. We even had to cut costs on the blue line by trading Niskanen for Gudas.

Unfortunately, Vrana was driven out of the organization for Mantha, who’s been a complete bust for this team.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Periodic reminder that Daniel Sprong gave up a full goal less per 60 minute than TJ Oshie last year (he had the 4th best GA/60 among Capitals forwards with 40+ GP), and his composite metrics had him in line with basically every other scoring forward on the Caps. The whole "backchecking optional" and "defensive liability" stuff is a myth made up to justify why he was benched and shipped off.
He didn't "fit" the system also known as, we grind our opponents to death :rolleyes:. Offensive forwards are not allowed here unless your salary starts with 6mil. McMichael is next, he following the same steps.

Reactions: Hivemind

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Hope the Caps win this and start a hot streak. Bura and Sprong are fast as we all know and can burn us. Beniers is having a good season too.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Watching the Seattle feed. They're praising Sprong's one timer and he said he improved it by practicing / playing with Ovie last season.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Gustafsson had the shot and instead he curls and drags to the middle to shoot it into the defender…

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Interesting stat presented there, when the Caps score 3 or more we're 10-1-1, when scoring 2 or less we're 0-10-1. So we're a fairly good defensive team i gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad