Marlies Discussion: Spotts secret to development...

Ace88*

To be honest i thought it was gonna be 'play the oldest scrubs first, screw the young, uber skilled players'

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Interested in how he works with all the first time pro guys coming to the Marlies this year. Heard somewhere like a possible 17 new pro's in the lineup to start the season?

Could anyone guess what the lineup could be? I'm out of touch with the possible Marlies this year.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Say what you will about Spott on an international tournament basis. His development of young players for the Rangers is without question very highly regarded.

Skinner
Landeskog
Murphy
Rieder
D'Amigo
and
Faksa

have all been under his coaching and are extremely good nhl players/prospects.

Is he as good as, say, Dale Hunter? No. Is he good in his own right? Without question.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
Say what you will about Spott on an international tournament basis. His development of young players for the Rangers is without question very highly regarded.

Skinner
Landeskog
Murphy
Rieder
D'Amigo
and
Faksa

have all been under his coaching and are extremely good nhl players/prospects.

Is he as good as, say, Dale Hunter? No. Is he good in his own right? Without question.

So those players wouldn't have developed the same or better elsewhere?

Maybe Spott just had the good fortune of coaching a big market junior franchise that has the good fortune of being able to attract highly skilled European and American players?

SteveV*

So those players wouldn't have developed the same or better elsewhere?

Maybe Spott just had the good fortune of coaching a big market junior franchise that has the good fortune of being able to attract highly skilled European and American players?

Also a stretch to say he developed Jerry D.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I'm willing to give him a chance because I was fed up with Eakins by the end and was happy he moved on but I was not impressed with Spott's coaching at WJC and it seems like the Rangers fans have had negative things to say about him.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm willing to give him a chance because I was fed up with Eakins by the end and was happy he moved on but I was not impressed with Spott's coaching at WJC and it seems like the Rangers fans have had negative things to say about him.

The WJC's aren't for development purposes, they're for winning. This is entirely different.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Players choosing to play for the Kitchener Rangers from overseas speaks volume to the quality of the coaching staff.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

The WJC's aren't for development purposes, they're for winning. This is entirely different.

Yes, I get that part. But I thought his decision making at WJC was very questionable and I'm concerned that this might extend into coaching elsewhere. Also, it says something the Rangers fans were happy to see him go.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I felt his priority was getting a job in the NHL and he started coaching the Marlies to win to improve his chances rather than prioritizing the development of the most important players. I think you could see that in some of his coaching decisions. He was good and everything though. I just hope Spott will focus most on development of our prospects.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
"...Tyler Biggs although only Biggs can stay with the Marlies should there not be enough room with the Maple Leafs."

Is this a hint that Biggs is expected to take the open wing spot over Colburne or Ashton? Or does he still have OHL eligibility? Or I am I just so starved for Leafs that I am imagining this?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no, just pointing out that he won't get a chance to coach Rielly this year.

Ace88*

I felt his priority was getting a job in the NHL and he started coaching the Marlies to win to improve his chances rather than prioritizing the development of the most important players. I think you could see that in some of his coaching decisions. He was good and everything though. I just hope Spott will focus most on development of our prospects.

i understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this is 100% baseless garbage. Eakins was nothing short of a phenomenal development coach. Obviously he wanted to be an NHL coach, but the guys stayed on with the marlies longer than he had to. He developed some really good young players for us. To make this sort of post is, frankly, somewhat offensively narrow-minded.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
"...Tyler Biggs although only Biggs can stay with the Marlies should there not be enough room with the Maple Leafs."

Is this a hint that Biggs is expected to take the open wing spot over Colburne or Ashton? Or does he still have OHL eligibility? Or I am I just so starved for Leafs that I am imagining this?

You are imagining it. Look at the whole quote:

Spott had Josh Leivo and D’Amigo in Kitchener. As head coach of last year’s Canadian World Junior team, Spott is familiar with Morgan Rielly and Team USA winger Tyler Biggs although only Biggs can stay with the Marlies should there not be enough room with the Maple Leafs.

He is clearly contrasting Biggs with Rielly, who unlike Biggs, must return to junior if there is no room on the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad