Sportsnet: NHL includes stiff luxury tax in latest proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Kritter471 said:
Good boys.

Now meet in the middle at $42.5-$45 million for the top of the ceiling and we're really getting going.

Its between 42.5 and 49 ansd 45 is the middle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
cw7 said:
In the NFL it is. The NHL is a totally different animal.

Contract structures (non-guaranteed vs. guaranteed just to start in that category), vastly different national TV revenues, less revenue streams overall, etc, etc, etc. I could keep putting typing "etc" until the cows come home, there's a myriad of differences between the leagues.

Not to mention we don't know what the cap number/linkage number will be, what if any provisions will come along with that number to move up or down in the coming years, what the outcome will be to issues like arbitration and qualifying offers and so forth and so on.

Basically, we've only got about 50 pieces of a 500-piece puzzle (important ones definitely missing) and we don't have the box to tell us what it should look like. Right now, we're just going on pure speculation and/or assumption. Nothing more, that's the unfortunate reality (for all of us).
I know ..etc etc etc .. but it not stopping Bettman and the NHL Owners from wanting a Hard Cap system just like the NFL .. No big TV contract to divide up via revenue sharing for smaller market teams in a HUGE DISADVANTAGE to the NHL not advantage. The only place left to get Revenue Sharing money from is Big Market team fans to give to the poorer ones .. Forcing all teams to play by the same Hard Cap and then force fans in large markets to pay 2 and 3 times the amount for a ticket is the greatest injustice the NHL can do towards fans, so that it can keep the weak alive via Revenue Sharing ..

Non guaranteed contracts bite both ways .. If an NHL GM gives out a bad contract (defined as too much money for player return) he is stuck with that mistake and his team on the ice suffers. With Buyouts counting towards the Cap .. You are stuck. NO IR in the NHL as the NFL has so you can replace a player .. Injuries count towards a Cap .. No replacing injured players with another Star player available, call on you farm team to fill the spot.

Regardless of all that .. The topic here is that individual Salaries with in a Hard Cap are not restricted by a Hard Cap .. Just the total amount you can spend overall. Any contract given out in the NEW NHL can and will be used for comparison purposes and higher contracts will increase player costs ..,

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think the best the PA could realisticly hope for is somewhere in the 40-42 range at this point.. with a stipualtion that it will rise to 45ish if revenues stay around the 2.1 billion mark after a few years..

Damage has been done to the league with the season canned... and while I think 45 was possible on Dooms Day... it is a reach now..

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
I think the best the PA could realisticly hope for is somewhere in the 40-42 range at this point.. with a stipualtion that it will rise to 45ish if revenues stay around the 2.1 billion mark after a few years..

Damage has been done to the league with the season canned... and while I think 45 was possible on Dooms Day... it is a reach now..

I personaly think the deal will be beter than the one last given.
Otherwise I don't think anyone will see hockey this year also.
Two years without seeing hockey is too much.

NYIsles1*

The Messenger said:
Forcing all teams to play by the same Hard Cap and then force fans in large markets to pay 2 and 3 times the amount for a ticket is the greatest injustice the NHL can do towards fans, so that it can keep the weak alive via Revenue Sharing ..
Big markets? No such thing in a small market sport like hockey.

Almost all the so-called big market fans paying top dollar still had their teams reportedly lose money. This is the greatest injustice because that system failed with no cap on salary or revenue sharing. Owners could not charge fans enough to keep up with salary any longer and began to take bigger losses, many in new buildings.

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nhl_03-04.cfm

The Leafs charge the third highest ticket prices in the league. According to Forbes Toronto made only 14.1m profit and that's going to the second round of the playoffs.

The Wings have the highest avg ticket price and reportedly lost almost 20m last year. How do you blame co-called smaller markets for this?

Toronto as far back as 97-98-99 only made a small operating profit:
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$reven_e.htm

Why do you think there is so much resistance with regard to revenue sharing? There
is very litte profit to share the the first place, even in Toronto who have as much impact on hockey in the US as the Blue Jays have on baseball.

Last edited by a moderator:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
NYIsles1 said:
Big markets? No such thing in a small market sport like hockey.

But of course there are big markets. Toronto, LA, Chi, NY, these are all still big markets, but in the NHL right now, their big marketness isn't translating into an advantage. Detroit seems only referred to as big market in hockey. Colorado suffered the indignity of the Sakic offer sheet, because they were considered a small market expansion franchise that wouldnt be able to afford to match. Every time Colorado is called big market, the case is made that winning provides the advantage, not market size. This is a remarkably fair outcome

NYIsles1 said:
Almost all the so-called big market fans paying top dollar still had their teams reportedly lose money. This is the greatest injustice because that system failed with no cap on salary or revenue sharing. Owners could not charge fans enough to keep up with salary any longer and began to take bigger losses, many in new buildings.

Couldnt charge enough to keep up? I guess thats a fair way of saying they overspent. It is interesting as you say that it seems that big money losers were predominantly large markets. StL, Det, NYR, Wash were all accused of having crazy rich owners overspending, but they are the ones now suffering all the losses. It seems the incentives are in place. What more do you need? Other teams losing money were NYI, NJ, and Pit, all teams awaiting new subsidized arenas. Together these 2 groups account for the majority of the losses. Seems to me the system is working. If the Rangers are spending $40mil over average, and are losing $40mil, hardly seems fair to call it a systemic problem.

Nonetheless, the players have accepted capping far lower than was previously allowed.

Last edited:

FlyersFan10*

WC Handy said:
The 49ers are the only team in the NFL that have managed their team as badly as you seem to think that every NHL team will manage theirs.

The problem with the 49ers is Denise DeBartolo's husband. The man has no football acumen, he's strictly a bottom line kind of person. He's ruined the legacy of the 49ers.

mooseOAK*

FlyersFan10 said:
The problem with the 49ers is Denise DeBartolo's husband. The man has no football acumen, he's strictly a bottom line kind of person. He's ruined the legacy of the 49ers.
It didn't help that he inherited the salary cap problems created by the previous regime.

NYIsles1*

thinkwild said:
But of course there are big markets. Toronto, LA, Chi, NY, these are all still big markets, but in the NHL right now, their big marketness isn't translating into an advantage.
That's because hockey is far off the radar and a niche sport. Hockey is what it's ratings are which equal arena football. Do we consider the New York, Chicago or Los Angeles entry in arena football a big market sport teams. Hockey fans do not like reading that but this is how far the game has fallen in terms of perception.

Look at what Russ Conway wrote about Boston this week, who finished first in 2003-04:
http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/04/s/sstory-archive.pl?tue+fn-russnhl.0510
Even the Boston Bruins, one of the NHL's original six teams, is in a precarious position.

A healthy season-ticket base of about 14,800 in the late 1990s, including luxury suite and premium seats, is now under 5,000.

"I know we've taken a hit," admitted Bruins president Harry Sinden, though he wouldn't confirm the figure. "Last year was the first year we didn't take in enough to cover the losses."

Player costs for the Bruins during the 2003-2004 season were a club record $45 million, the 12th highest payroll in the 30-team NHL. Average home attendance per game actually increased over the previous season, to 15,377, with 13 sellouts including playoffs.

thinkwild said:
Detroit seems only referred to as big market in hockey. Colorado suffered the indignity of the Sakic offer sheet, because they were considered a small market expansion franchise that wouldnt be able to afford to match. Every time Colorado is called big market, the case is made that winning provides the advantage, not market size. This is a remarkably fair outcome
Actually the case can easily be made both Detroit and Colorado markets have been a by-product spending vs on-ice success. We have seen the Wings and Colorado Rockies struggle badly at the gate when they iced bad teams. What should not be forgotten is even with some success both teams now reportedly are losing money going to the playoffs.

thinkwild said:
It is interesting as you say that it seems that big money losers were predominantly large markets. StL, Det, NYR, Wash were all accused of having crazy rich owners overspending, but they are the ones now suffering all the losses. It seems the incentives are in place. What more do you need? Other teams losing money were NYI, NJ, and Pit, all teams awaiting new subsidized arenas. Together these 2 groups account for the majority of the losses.
Isles are financing their own renovation, like many teams want the land for development to generate profits they currently receive.

As for these numbers I'm writing nothing. These are the reported numbers in various publications.

Also it's not accurate to write only a select group of teams were responcible for all the losses. Nineteen teams reportedly lost money and many who are barely breaking even or losing money to operate cannot invest any more in their products like Edmonton, who simply hang on and trade away star players. A team like Calgary or Tampa finally made a modest profit or just broke even after years of losing significant revenue.

thinkwild said:
Seems to me the system is working. If the Rangers are spending $40mil over average, and are losing $40mil, hardly seems fair to call it a systemic problem.
The Ranger spend close to 80m and reported 40.9m. in losses. The Isles spend 40m and reportedly lose 20m. Detroit spend 80m and lose 20m. St Louis spends 50m and loses 30-40m. Florida with a low payroll claims 30m in losses. Washington is losing huge amounts of money in a new building. The Kings reportedly lost 40m a few years ago which led to the fan audit.

The only thing systematic about this is teams like Minnesota with a modest payroll produce a modest profit, so does Vancouver and Chicago and if I'm correct Columbus.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
NYIsles1 said:
That's because hockey is far off the radar and a niche sport. Hockey is what it's ratings are which equal arena football. Do we consider the New York, Chicago or Los Angeles entry in arena football a big market sport teams. Hockey fans do not like reading that but this is how far the game has fallen in terms of perception.
So the big markets in the NHL dont have an advantage unless they develop a team properly just like a small market? Big markets dont have guaranteed success by spending? Then draw when losing allowing them to still spend more than every other team? Sounds good to me. So the problem is then that some teams win, get lots of playoff revenue?

NYIsles1 said:
Look at what Russ Conway wrote about Boston this week, who finished first in 2003-04:
http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/04/s/sstory-archive.pl?tue+fn-russnhl.0510
Even the Boston Bruins, one of the NHL's original six teams, is in a precarious position.

A healthy season-ticket base of about 14,800 in the late 1990s, including luxury suite and premium seats, is now under 5,000.

"I know we've taken a hit," admitted Bruins president Harry Sinden, though he wouldn't confirm the figure. "Last year was the first year we didn't take in enough to cover the losses."

Yeah, if only ther ewas a salary cap, they could of told the fans look we cant sign Allison and Guerin and stay under the cap and still screw Illitch with the Lapointe offer. And fans would say, oh, ok, we'll still come then. Its not your fault.

Actually the case can easily be made both Detroit and Colorado markets have been a by-product spending vs on-ice success. We have seen the Wings and Colorado Rockies struggle badly at the gate when they iced bad teams.

What should not be forgotten is even with some success both teams now reportedly are losing money going to the playoffs.
I dont think you can make that case. The revenue to spend is obviously largely a product of the success they patiently developed. If Colorado was like Ottawa now, they would have signed 4 of their players to $10mil contracts? hard to believe.

But this is the point. Even teams you are trying to call large market, you admit have to win first to spend. Otherwise they lose money like now when they are still spending as if they are making the finals every year but are losing out on up to $20mil in revenue when they lose in the first round. Maybe if they could just afford to spend on some UFAs they would get missing piece. Too bad they arent big market anymore now that they are losing.

Also it's not accurate to write only a select group of teams were responcible for all the losses. Nineteen teams reportedly lost money and many who are barely breaking even or losing money to operate cannot invest any more in their products like Edmonton, who simply hang on and trade away star players. A team like Calgary or Tampa finally made a modest profit or just broke even after years of losing significant revenue.

According to the PA, 6 teams were responsible or 75% of the losses. Teams either awaiting new arena's, or were big spenders without winning. There's no proof Calgary spent years losing significant money. If 11 teams made money, and 6 of the 19 losing money accounted for 75% of the losses, and non-cba salary related losses but management decision making losses, and the players reset salaries 25% lower and offered a cap, why no deal yet?

The Ranger spend close to 80m and reported 40.9m. in losses. The Isles spend 40m and reportedly lose 20m. Detroit spend 80m and lose 20m. St Louis spends 50m and loses 30-40m. Florida with a low payroll claims 30m in losses. Washington is losing huge amounts of money in a new building. The Kings reportedly lost 40m a few years ago which led to the fan audit.

The only thing systematic about this is teams like Minnesota with a modest payroll produce a modest profit, so does Vancouver and Chicago and if I'm correct Columbus.

The Rangers spent $80mil and lost $40mil. Well that sound sright to me. I would expect in a well functioning system, this should be the case. They should of lost that money with their payroll and success. Good. The system is working. IF the only consequence of spending is foolishly is that they lose money, ther eis no incentive not to lose money?

The Isles are losing $20mil because oif salaries? In their new arena, will those salaries cause the same losses?

Detroit spent $80mil and lost $20mil? Good. The system is working. I can think of some good advice for the Wings. Were they losing that money in their cup winning years? Or is it because they are no longer a championship team although they continue to spend like one.

Florida is losing $30mil? Are they an NHL market or not. I think they could be. They have a great opportunity to develop a championship team. They are doing it the right way. They dont need money, they need time and development. And perhaps revenue sharing assistance until they develop their market. They obviously dont get help from a cap, but revenue sharing would help until they do generate average revenues. Or will they never be able to do that? If not, seems a differnt type of problem that salary related CBA.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
DR said:
1) UFA are not elegible as comparisons in arbitration ... so Kasperitus has no effect
2) any GM who can be swayed by an agent saying "Kasper or Yashin" make this much so my player should be paid relative ... . deserves to pay the contract.

seriously, you think anyone would take an agent seriously comparing his player to Yashin in contract talks ?

dr

How can you honestly think that what players around the league make doesn't have an effect on a certain team when its time to sign their player? The summer of 2000, the Kings are working on a contract extension with Rob Blake. Blake was asking for about $7.5-8 million a season. The Kings were offering in the $6.5-7 mil range. Chris Pronger wins the Norris and the Hart Trophy and the Blues reward him with his deal for I believe it was $9.5 mil a season, setting the market for a Norris Trophy winning defenseman. Blake and his agent see what Pronger is getting and now come back to the Kings asking for $9 million a season. Where before they were reasonably close on an offer, they are now at least $2 million apart on a contract and this eventually leads to LA trading Blake because they decide they can't afford to pay him what he's asking for. Blake got his $9 mil + from the Avs because that's what the market was for defensemen of Blake's caliber. Then Lidstrom looks at what Blake and Pronger are making and says, I want that much as well.

The Kasparaitis signing set the market for what defensive defensemen get. He got his $5 mil a season, so Foote got that from the Avs, the Kings had to offer Norstrom $4 mil to keep him from deciding to become a UFA, so then Aaron Miller went to them and said that if you offered Norstrom 4 years and $14.5 mil, I want something similar.

If each contract signing didn't have an effect on other signings around the league, why was everyone upset about the PA internal site where agents and players can compare stats and salaries? Maybe its because signings of players with similar stats do actually have an effect on the market.

Brent Burns Beard