Sportsnet: NHL includes stiff luxury tax in latest proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
norrisnick said:
Originally Posted by kdb209
No it's more like the league putting out a big "Speed Zone Ahead" sign that Philly, Detroit, Dallas, etc ignored and blew past (by signing contracts that went past the expiration of the current CBA) and now suddenly are getting their speeding tickets for violating the speed limits they were told were coming.

No, they needed to to both. Play to win, but keep in mind the impact of signing contracts that extended past the last CBA and into a likely salary cap period. They could have signed shorter contracts or front-loaded them. It's not like they didn't know it was coming. I have no sympathy for them, just like I have no symapthy for teams like the 49ers who abused the salary cap and got what they had coming (in terms of dead cap space, etc).

It is better to penalize them than the responsible teams who knew what was coming and prepared for it.
Oh? When did the early announcement of a hard cap at $35M come out? I and a couple of GMs must have missed it.

It's been pretty obvious for at least two years going into the lockout that GB and the league was looking at a Salary Cap - they're were many public statements by GB and other owners.

Don't give us the BS that the owners didn't know what was coming. It's not like GB surprised them with the leagues salary cap offers - unlike BG's WTF surprises over the 24% rollback and cap acceptances.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
Well if Detroit does continue to MARKET THE HELL out of its hockey team, it will pay off even more - to the tune of an extra $30M a year profit into Illich's pocket. When salries drop from $75M to $45M do you really expect them to lower ticket prices for the "hottest tickets in town" - ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.
Who cares? I'm not an Ilitch's bank statement fan.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Weary said:
Well if Detroit does continue to MARKET THE HELL out of its hockey team, it will pay off even more - to the tune of an extra $30M a year profit into Illich's pocket. When salries drop from $75M to $45M do you really expect them to lower ticket prices for the "hottest tickets in town" - ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.
So when Bettman said lower ticket prices was one of the goals of this agreement, he was full of it?

Unless he thinks he has very stupid owners, yes he was - although I've never seen him make that claim. I've seen pro-owner posters make that claim, but not GB or any owner.

High player salaries do not cause high ticket prices. Actually its the opposite - it's high ticket prices (and fan's willingness to pay them) that give the expected revenue to allow a team to pay more in salary.

Ticket prices are pretty much set by supply and demand - just like any other commodity. If an owner knows that fans are willing to pay X dollars for a ticket, why the hell would he ever charge less.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
norrisnick said:
:clap:

Maybe if they can't get back to playing hockey, the owners can try to make a sport of dueling bank accounts.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
It's been pretty obvious for at least two years going into the lockout that GB and the league was looking at a Salary Cap - they're were many public statements by GB and other owners.

Don't give us the BS that the owners didn't know what was coming. It's not like GB surprised them with the leagues salary cap offers - unlike BG's WTF surprises over the 24% rollback and cap acceptances.
Cost certainty not a low to mid 30's hard cap.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
norrisnick said:

But it goes to the point that many try to make, that the big market teams oppose the cap, when they are actually it's biggest beneficiaries, and to the PA's justifiable claim that without revenue sharing a salary cap is just a liscence for Detroit and Toronto to print money - all at their expense.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Newsguyone said:
The People VS. Pro-owner hockey "fans"
The Charge: Fraud

The people contend the pro-owner hockey fans have misrepresented their position that a salary cap will improve the game. In fact, we will demonstrate that these fans, pathetic and miserable after years of supporting horsepuckey teams like Boston, Chicago, and Carolina, have no interest in bettering the game. They only seek to take a pound out of the hide of the successful teams and their fans.

:handclap:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
But it goes to the point that many try to make, that the big market teams oppose the cap, when they are actually it's biggest beneficiaries, and to the PA's justifiable claim that without revenue sharing a salary cap is just a liscence for Detroit and Toronto to print money - all at their expense.
Like I said earlier. Most of these guys aren't Wirtz or Jacobs. Or Karmanos, Leonsis, or one of the other guys who thought they bought a toy and then it got too expensive for them.

The big boys of Toronto, Detroit, Philly, Colorado, Rangers are in it to win. Sure they make more money, but really they want to win which is why they've gambled with huge payrolls during the past CBA.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
norrisnick said:

Cost certainty not a low to mid 30's hard cap.

Actually, the leagues intial offers were a low to mid 30's hard cap. The Leagues Dec 14th offer increased the cap to a range of $34.6M-$38.6M total compensation ($32.4M-$36.4M salary).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
Actually, the leagues intial offers were a low to mid 30's hard cap. The Leagues Dec 14th offer increased the cap to a range of $34.6M-$38.6M total compensation ($32.4M-$36.4M salary).
They've had a bunch of different ideas floating around. A hard cap wasn't the be all end all until the players decided to accept one.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
mackdogs said:
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that some of these free spending teams having to cough up some of their players is the same as when they were stealing players away from other teams by out spending them. It's getting a dose of your own medicine.

Ottawa was not mentioned in the discussion, not sure why you are bringing them up.
when has anyone ever stolen a player ? is it not that players human right to choose where he wants to play once he has fulfilled his contractual obligations ?

dr

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
norrisnick said:
They've had a bunch of different ideas floating around. A hard cap wasn't the be all end all until the players decided to accept one.
A hard cap by any other name, ...

Three of the six "concepts" presented back in the July 21 meeting were effectively hard caps and none of the others allowed for open ended salaries.

The leagues demand for a 54% linkage (Dec 14 - an increase from initial offers) gives you a $34M average team payroll.

Back in June (and the previous October), Bettman was talking about a $31M hard cap (or a $31M average payroll, depending upon whether you beleive the league or PA).

Hard caps in the $40M's came very late to the negotiating scene.

It's inconceivable that the big market teams did not know what Bettman's (and the league's) goals and expectations were going into the lockout.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
It's inconceivable that the big market teams did not know what Bettman's (and the league's) goals and expectations were going into the lockout.

As it is inconceivable that an owner/GM would knowingly cripple his team for the future. I'm not talking about Jagr, Yashin, Guerin, Holik here, those are bad at any point. I'm talking about the contracts signed in the last year and half (the '03 and '04 FA seasons). There is no way GMs give out those contracts if they knew they'd destroy their teams' futures.

Wetcoaster

DR said:
when has anyone ever stolen a player ? is it not that players human right to choose where he wants to play once he has fulfilled his contractual obligations ?

dr
No, not until he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
norrisnick said:
As it is inconceivable that an owner/GM would knowingly cripple his team for the future. I'm not talking about Jagr, Yashin, Guerin, Holik here, those are bad at any point. I'm talking about the contracts signed in the last year and half (the '03 and '04 FA seasons). There is no way GMs give out those contracts if they knew they'd destroy their teams' futures.
It's not as inconceivable as you think. There have been several examples in the NFL (the 9ers being the most egregious) where it was quite obvious that an owner/GM was doing things that would cripple his team in the future in order to satisfy the demands of winning now.

Many teams had blanket policies (with a few exceptions - San Jose and Owen Nolan) of not signing any contracts that extended into the lockout.

The big team owners knew all that, and that 16 of their lower spending bretheren could force a CBA on them that they didn't like, and they still went out and spent like drunken sailors up to the edge of oblivion. They deserve what they get.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kdb209 said:
It's not as inconceivable as you think. There have been several examples in the NFL (the 9ers being the most egregious) where it was quite obvious that an owner/GM was doing things that would cripple his team in the future in order to satisfy the demands of winning now.

Many teams had blanket policies (with a few exceptions - San Jose and Owen Nolan) of not signing any contracts that extended into the lockout.

The big team owners knew all that, and that 16 of their lower spending bretheren could force a CBA on them that they didn't like, and they still went out and spent like drunken sailors up to the edge of oblivion. They deserve what they get.
Is that why every team has several contracts that extend into the lockout?

Is that why 20 teams had payrolls of incomplete rosters at $30M+ for the '04-'05 season?

Is that why 7-8 teams had even more incomplete rosters at $30M+ for the '05-'06 season?

With complete rosters the number of teams, particularly for the '05-'06 season, go up. This wasn't a couple of reckless teams unprepared for a low 30's cap. It's over half the league.

A reasonable rollback makes this whole issue go away. Without it, there is mayhem for both teams and players. The 'PA is going to throw a fit when half of highend UFAs don't get what they want.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Thunderstruck said:
Peca's point was that some teams failed to prepare for the lockout and signed contracts before the last CBA expired. They should not be rewarded for that behavior.

This is not ment to be there to forgive teams for mistakes....

It is ment to be a bone to the players.. and a method by which the rest of the NHL can get the big markets to give into better revenue sharing...

Players make a gain by not giving a rollback... but the same effect of that rollback is felt in arbitration and other such areas...

Yes, the bigger markets might gain.... but you cannot let the Leafs be crippled for the next 2-3 seasons... its bad for hockey..if you hurt the big markets... its bad for hockey...... And it really does not give those clubs a leg up much past a season or two..I mean.. Colorado's big contracts end in a season or two anyways... ALL of them... so after that, they do not have any advantage over the other teams.. it works into the system...?

Seriously.. How much does Colorado, Toronto, Detroit, and company have locked up past 2 years? If there is a worry that it will be exploited for long term, make it a 2 year adjustment period.. and that after 2 seasons all those contracts left from the Pre-Lockout era will count once again at 100%...

If the NHL wants a negotiated cap at a level they like.. they will HAVE to give something to the players... this could be a mesure that makes both the players AND the big market owners happy in one move..

You cannot go to a new CBA without making some kind of adjustment..

Brent Burns Beard