Sportscenters video on The Michigan

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Neat. Never knew the background behind it (aka didn't know it was the NCAA tournament where it started)

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Android incorrectly doing an autocorrect for the &$#*($# millionth time altering the spelling when I type his last name is not the same as Legg getting his first name completely wrong in an interview about the first nhl player to copy his signature move…. As you can plainly see I catch as many of them as I can even if I have to re type it 2,3,4 or more times before it stops trying to autocorrect it…. Or I just say screw it and let it type what it wants… to avoid it I tend to type Svech most of the time as it doesn’t autocorrect that when I type it anymore…. The AI seems to have learned to leave that one alone after some truly crazy autocorrects for a while…… however, Legg should probably know the right first name of the player…. Just like the producer and editor of this video should have caught that and fixed it by doing a voice over or overdub at bare minimum…. Not that we should expect anything less given the content creators….

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m glad they made this. The Michigan changed grass roots level hockey. It’s mind blowing to me that people still refer to them as this but don’t actually know the goal. That’s why I get a little annoyed when people call the Svech the “Michigan”. It’s not. The way he pressed down on the puck was the whole trick, it barely existed to the regular fan/player. I had seen a guy do it in the NHL to give the ref the puck once and had never seen it again…I thought it was magic. I played all my life and had decent hands and had no concept of that, none of the guys I played with or knew had any concept of it. The general hockey loving public had no idea you could do that with a puck.

Once it’s on the blade it’s no big deal, but the push down scoop up defied the laws of gravity. Every time anyone was on the rink for YEARS after that, someone was trying to do it in warm ups. I could do it after a LOT of practice, probably took a year.

The new way of just bumping it on the blade is very inconsistent which is why so many guys fumble their attempts, but it’s how you can do it on the fly. Hoglander is the only one I’ve seen that scored a beaut the true Michigan way while in motion, it’s a lot easier to do from a stand still. They should all just be called lacrosse goals unless you scoop it up the way he did it, it was a phenomenon he created and the way he did it was the magic. If you played back then you’d understand why there’s a big difference. Anyone could bump it onto the blade or scoop a puck up that’s on edge…..the Michigan way was mind bending in 96.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m glad they made this. The Michigan changed grass roots level hockey. It’s mind blowing to me that people still refer to them as this but don’t actually know the goal. That’s why I get a little annoyed when people call the Svech the “Michigan”. It’s not. The way he pressed down on the puck was the whole trick, it barely existed to the regular fan/player. I had seen a guy do it in the NHL to give the ref the puck once and had never seen it again…I thought it was magic. I played all my life and had decent hands and had no concept of that, none of the guys I played with or knew had any concept of it. The general hockey loving public had no idea you could do that with a puck.

Once it’s on the blade it’s no big deal, but the push down scoop up defied the laws of gravity. Every time anyone was on the rink for YEARS after that, someone was trying to do it in warm ups. I could do it after a LOT of practice, probably took a year.

The new way of just bumping it on the blade is very inconsistent which is why so many guys fumble their attempts, but it’s how you can do it on the fly. Hoglander is the only one I’ve seen that scored a beaut the true Michigan way while in motion, it’s a lot easier to do from a stand still. They should all just be called lacrosse goals unless you scoop it up the way he did it, it was a phenomenon he created and the way he did it was the magic. If you played back then you’d understand why there’s a big difference. Anyone could bump it onto the blade or scoop a puck up that’s on edge…..the Michigan way was mind bending in 96.
If Mike Legg stated that Sergei Svetchnickoff did the Michigan, that's good enough for me.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

I'm curious if that's the reason Forslund only referenced the two Svech goals as lacrosse goals and never (that I recall) as the Michigan.

Reactions: geehaad

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm curious if that's the reason Forslund only referenced the two Svech goals as lacrosse goals and never (that I recall) as the Michigan.
He’s one of the most particular for detail guys in the game, I’m sure it’s at least part of the reason.

I’m sure it’s also more of a being a player thing. If you didn’t spend serious time in your life goofing around with pucks you might actually not think there’s a difference or that it doesn’t matter. Having a significant amount of my life doing that for fun, and having it be during that time makes a huge difference. I’m part of that generation. If you weren’t around for it as a player maybe you think it’s silly to feel that way. I get it, though I don’t understand being dismissive about it when it’s talked about.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I just love that I was sitting in 122 right next to the net when Svech scored that first one. I saw him do it for the first time in the NHL and my mind immediately went "holy f***, did he just do what I think he did?". Everyone around me had no idea what happened and I'm losing my mind going 'holy f*** he did the goal that everyone claimed was impossible in the NHL'

My wife was with me at the time, and while she's not the biggest sports fan, she still finds it cool she was there for a league first.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just love that I was sitting in 122 right next to the net when Svech scored that first one. I saw him do it for the first time in the NHL and my mind immediately went "holy f***, did he just do what I think he did?". Everyone around me had no idea what happened and I'm losing my mind going 'holy f*** he did the goal that everyone claimed was impossible in the NHL'

My wife was with me at the time, and while she's not the biggest sports fan, she still finds it cool she was there for a league first.

You weren't right on the glass wearing khakis were you?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Man literally got airborne :laugh:

1713188900642.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hah nah, I was 3/4 the way up the lower bowl on the goal line on the side the cameras were.

Place went ape shit, but the best part was that it took until the replay for everyone to realize what happened at which point it went even nuttier. One of those moments where everyone in the building knew they had just witnessed something special without needing to be told so.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

When asked, Svech said that he calls it the Michigan. Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad