Sports Illustrated's 100 Greatest Moments in Sports History

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
they actually beat them twice, in the group stage and in the final lols

easily one of the biggest Cinderella stories in sports history

Yep. What little there is was prettymuch World Cup centric (which is to be expected from SI)

Hell, I'd have the 05 UEFA Champions League final well ****ing ahead of the Chastain goal, and I'm not even a Liverpool fan. :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I like how something that's essentially been proven to not have happened (Babe calling his shot) made the list.

I mean, it's one thing when there was no real evidence one way or the other (though the pitcher, Charlie Root, would've taken Ruth's head off with the next pitch if he had done that), but after the discovery of the lost film it really did kill the idea.

Cool story, but just a myth.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yep. What little there is was prettymuch World Cup centric (which is to be expected from SI)

Hell, I'd have the 05 UEFA Champions League final well ****ing ahead of the Chastain goal, and I'm not even a Liverpool fan. :laugh:

heck, now that you mention the Champions League, the year before Liverpool won was just as amazing.

Porto vs Monaco final! lol and Porto won, that's where Jose Mourinho's legend started.

Also that same season the biggest comeback in the CL happened.

AC Milan who had won the year before (03), beat Deportivo La Coruna 4-1 in the first leg in San Siro.

Deportivo beat them 4-0 in the 2nd leg :amazed: That Milan team had Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Kaka, Seedorf, Gattuso, Shevchenko...lol

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I like how something that's essentially been proven to not have happened (Babe calling his shot) made the list.

I mean, it's one thing when there was no real evidence one way or the other (though the pitcher, Charlie Root, would've taken Ruth's head off with the next pitch if he had done that), but after the discovery of the lost film it really did kill the idea.

Cool story, but just a myth.

Didn't know that Ruth calling his shot was a farce. They sure sell it good though.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is crazy. In watching that moment I viewed the video.... And in the last game of the season with Maris at 60 to break Ruth's all-time record... Maybe the biggest "number" in baseball history, at home, with both players Yankees there were way over ten thousand empty seats! Can not believe that wasn't a sell out! Lots of fans there though. Huge stadium... But such a big moment. A very predicable one. Either he hits 61 or not. And no sell out.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Auburn beating Alabama in 2013 is ahead of the Summit Series?...yeesh

Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier and Jesse Owens at 2 and 3 behind the miracle on ice? A great upset but I dont know about that.

Also Tommie Smith and John Carlos at 44?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad