Sports Illustrated's 100 Greatest Moments in Sports History

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Don't have time to check it out right now, but how American-central is it? Let me guess Miracle on Ice is #1?

It is most definitely the #1 American event in sports history, not sure it should qualify as world-wide #1 though, then again not sure what would.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Don't have time to check it out right now, but how American-central is it? Let me guess Miracle on Ice is #1?

It is most definitely the #1 American event in sports history, not sure it should qualify as world-wide #1 though, then again not sure what would.

It is pretty American-centric, especially the top half, and Miracle on Ice is ranked first. But a good representation of sports, even if a lot of the moments do involve American athletes there as well.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No Orr seems odd. It wasn't like they were that shy about putting hockey on there.

member 51464

Has it been done since?

Well his then world record is now 25th all-time worldwide and 9th all-time on the American only list. So, yes, it has been done many times sense. Again, what makes it more impressive than the Miracle on Ice?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not sure what's worse, football getting two entries (and women's football inexplicably making top 25) or Usain Bolt getting one that came in the 60s.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm not sure what's worse, football getting two entries (and women's football inexplicably making top 25) or Usain Bolt getting one that came in the 60s.

USA, USA, USA!!!!!!!

I don't get why someone would bother to make a list lik that. What's the point in faux objectivity if you're going to ridiculously favor one country? Make it all about the US and be done with it.

I've seen two bigger upsets than the Miracle on Ice in this past year alone.

Blainer14

Mar 15, 2016
Toronto, ON
don't really pay attention to that stuff from si seeing how theyre are bias toward americans... canada > us in 2002 and 2010 over anything a team usa hockey team has ever done

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
while SI is biased, the miracle on ice isn't just about an upset. hbo's doc some years ago puts it in pretty good perspective. i'm not saying it's #1 worldwide, obv there are plenty of things that could compete and surpass it (my father would even argue Ali should be #1 on any list), but to act like it was only memorable cause of a game is naive.

Anyway, the only good thing about these is to see how they change from years to years. SI has done this before. Some years ago you could barely find anything but B&W photos for the top 10 and I think they chose Babe Ruth's HR as #1.

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
don't really pay attention to that stuff from si seeing how theyre are bias toward americans... canada > us in 2002 and 2010 over anything a team usa hockey team has ever done

Well, considering you're Canadian and you said the two times Canada beat the U.S. were better moments, your bias is no better.

Call a spade a spade and move on.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Brandi Chastain's sports bra is the greatest moment in soccer history? FFS ...

Just off the top of my head, Maradona's hand of god goal (1986), the legitimate goal he scored just a few minutes later in the same game and Brazil's 4th goal in the 1970 WC final (first World Cup that was broadcast in color worldwide) are all 100 miles ahead of Brandi Chastain. Ranking women's soccer "moments" ahead of mens' is simply silly.
No NHL'ers vs NHL'ers game can compare to MOI. Summit Series should probably be ahead of MOI, but I'm not sure which "moment" is the most iconic: Clarke attacking Kharlamov, Henderson's goal or Esposito's postgame speech in Vancouver. 1 game vs 8 games skews toward the 1 game.

Also, horse racing shouldn't have more entries than auto racing. Formula 1 or Le Mans aren't in the top 100 at all? :shakehead

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Kharlamov's goal in Game One was the moment we realized the series might not be the cakewalk we were all expecting. The jaws of a nation dropped in amazement at that one.

I vaguely remember SI doing something like this in the 70s, maybe their 20th or 25th anniversary issue, and Hillary and Norgay climbing Everest was at or near the top. There was a time when mountain climbing was considered a sport (or at least something papers reported in their sports pages). (I guess after you climb Everest there's nowhere else to go.)

I get that Jesse Owens at Berlin had political overtones that transcended sports (Joe Louis' defeat of Max Schmeling serves that purpose equally well) but don't forget also that in one 1935 meet Owens broke three world records and tied a fourth, all within an hour. :amazed:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I won't debate the list, but thanks for posting the link. it was great fun re-watching some of those moments this afternoon to pass some time at work!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad