SPHL to expand to Athens, GA

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA

It looks like the SPHL will be expanding to Athens for the 24-25 season. Their Instagram is followed by Spire, the same owners as Greenville and Rapid City in the ECHL. I think the SPHL has a better chance of working out than putting an ECHL team in the city. I’ve been told that, despite construction delays, the arena should be ready in time for the fall. At this point it’s just waiting for the announcement.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It has potential, but I see it being a Coralville situation. They will be competing against the already established UGA Ice Dawgs D1 AAU team as well as their new D3 and Women's teams. And that's just in their building. There are also dozens of other cheap sports at UGA. I think they can maybe pull 2k a game, but we will see. I do think the branding will not be similar to UGA in the slightest, but I don't know how much that will help. Only time will tell.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looks like The JMCs' Deep South road trip was one season premature. :confused:

ETA: What're the odds that Athens will be the latest relocation of the current Macon Mayhem franchise?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looks like The JMCs' Deep South road trip was one season premature. :confused:

ETA: What're the odds that Athens will be the latest relocation of the current Macon Mayhem franchise?
From everything I’ve heard it’s an expansion. I know the fed was sniffing the market too so it may be the SPHLs attempt to fight them off. I’d be surprised if Macon relocated

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From everything I’ve heard it’s an expansion. I know the fed was sniffing the market too so it may be the SPHLs attempt to fight them off. I’d be surprised if Macon relocated
Time to start the rumor: SPHL has plans to expand to 32 teams. Keeping up with the Hockey Joneses. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Is this right? Athens will be a member of the FPHL instead of the SPHL? ...
Nothing announced by the Fed (that I could find), but Athens has been sliding down the minor pro hockey scale since the May 2022 report of an ECHL capture. I'd recommend waiting for the puck to actually drop before declaring any affiliation for a pro hockey team in Athens.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
At this point, I don't even know I'll believe what league they're in until October. There's a ton to point to the SP, there's hints it might be the Fed, and I know someone who called the SPHL office and asked about Athens and they transferred him to their office. Seems an odd thing to do for a team in a different league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad