Spezza/Ryan

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
You guys are making it sound like 2 world class players won't connect together even though in the op it says that I know that line is playing well and I understand why some are opposed to spilting them up. Conacher had chemistry with MacArthur and Turris....maybe Michalek or Hoffman would work on that line.

Another obvious issue is we have no money to spend and I also think that the rumors of Havlat and Hemsky is completly Pejorative Slured.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Sounds legit.

Spezza was 4th in scoring and played some of his best hockey that season with no 11 or 15.

I agree, that was Spezza in beast mode that year...but right now 3 of our top 4 scorers are Ryan, Turris, Macarthur..enough said.

edit. Forwards

melnyk budget*

Mac-Turris-Ryan is our best line right now...why on earth would we mess with that chemistry...haven't had consistency like that since 15-19-11 were playing together

This. And more this. with a side order of THIS.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
i think right now Turris is a better center than Spezza, period. Turris is going to do just fine no matter who his linemates are. Spezza on the other hand is some kind of delicate anomaly who needs such specific complimentary players that finding them has become impossible. As far as I'm concerned it's up to Jason Spezza to re-earn that #1 center title, but I would give him a bit of a break coming back from surgery & all. But at this point I wouldn't be opposed to putting Ryan on the Spezza's line & maybe Michalek with Turris

Turris isn't a #1 center without his wingers. Spezza is. Spezza is still getting his points playing with 2nd and 3rd line talent. What would happen if Turris was playing with Michalek and Greening? Would he be a point a game player?

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
From beginning of season, Ryan and Spezza didnt really have much chemistry.

I fail to how this would help the Turris line. I'd argue Ryan has as much chemistry with MacArthur now as he does Turris.

Spezza has proven to be a dynamic enough player to get the most out of lesser linemates. This team needs to win games, and with that line intact it seems to produce more.

If i was the coach, keeping that line together is a no brainer right now. Without that production, we are in competition with Florida and Buffalo. Dont have much time to experiment and hope Spezza/Ryan will score 50 each.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like the idea of splitting the high end scoring talent on 2 lines. Makes it harder for opponents to check them and allows more guys to get in on the scoring. A lot of guys in this league may look like they have stone hands, but most of these guys have put up solid numbers in junior/college/Europe. Get a good opportunity and anyone can score. Well, almost anyone.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Call up Hoffman or Pageau and play him on the wing. Both speedy players who can score. With Pags hockey iq im sure he could make the transition. Hoffman definentely deserves it after his stint last year and the absolute tear hes been on in the AHL.

Maybe even get Stone back up here in a week or two when he has more time to get back into game shape. post injury

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Turris isn't a #1 center without his wingers. Spezza is. Spezza is still getting his points playing with 2nd and 3rd line talent. What would happen if Turris was playing with Michalek and Greening? Would he be a point a game player?

I think a lot of people don't realize this. They are quick to point out Turris' success but don't give nearly enough credit to his wingers. They are carrying the line offensively especially Ryan.

Meanwhile Spezza pretty much has to score on the PP or generate all of his offence by himself.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Spezza is an elite playmaker but isn't a possession player. Ryan is a sniper but isn't the guy to carry the puck. So put them together and you get alot of giveaways and less time in the O-zone. I also blame Michalek- he does nothing for this team.

PS
People saying Spezza was a beast when he wasn't with Heatley and Alfie in 2008, sure.

But did you not watch them from 2004-2007? Best line in hockey.
If Spezza wasn't injured in 2005-2007 he would be getting 100+ points 2 seasons in a row (68gp 90 pts, 67gp 87 pts etc etc).

When they all were healthy and motivated it was a beauty to watch.

sensfandan

Aug 21, 2004
Ottawa
The best teams have 2 equally dangerous scoring lines, with high end talent spread out.

LA:
1: Kopitar + Brown
2: Richards + Carter

Chicago:
1: Toews + Kane
2: Sharp + Hossa

Boston:
1: Lucic, Krejci + Iginla
2: Eriksson, Bergeron + Marchand

Pittsburgh:
1: Crosby + Kunitz
2: Malkin + Neal

And so on and so forth. There's only one puck, and when Ryan and Spezza are on the ice at the same time, the puck will only be on one of their sticks half as much. I want the puck on my skilled players' sticks as often as possible.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Heatley is a left handed shot, Ryan is a right handed shot. Heatley worked so well with Spezza because Spezza loves to play along the half wall on left side, and Heatley would just float around the high slot finding the soft spots for one timer's and Spezza would just find him every time.

Putting Ryan with Spezza forces them both to play a different game from what they're accustomed to. It's not too surprising it was kind of tough for them to find chemistry together.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
No, our top 4 scores actually are Spezza, Karlsson, Ryan and Turris.

To bad Spezza is one of the worst players in the nhl defensively. 690 some in the league in plus/minus.. And pads his stats on the pp with lots of secondary assits. Just saying. There is a reason the Turris- Mac-Ryan line is the first line. Great 200 foot game from all three players. And they all give 100%.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Geez, when I said this at the beginning of the yr that Ottawa needs to spread the scoring around & that Ryan is better suited with Turris because Turris plays a north/south 200' game & Spezza is more an east/west player who floats back on defence I got flamed for it, now everyone is saying it, unbelievable. :shakehead

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
To bad Spezza is one of the worst players in the nhl defensively. 690 some in the league in plus/minus.. And pads his stats on the pp with lots of secondary assits. Just saying. There is a reason the Turris- Mac-Ryan line is the first line. Great 200 foot game from all three players. And they all give 100%.

Lol you post the same nonsense over and over again.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Bobby Ryan is obviously better right now than "prime" Heatley and Spezza with Heatley worked so well. I only see offense if they play together.

Right, just like how Heatley was going to put up greater numbers in San Jose than he ever did in Ottawa because he was going to play alongside Thornton.

Two great players alongside each-other won't just randomly create chemistry. Let's work on building that chemistry when we're either deep in the playoff pack, or so far out it won't matter.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Call up Hoffman or Pageau and play him on the wing. Both speedy players who can score. With Pags hockey iq im sure he could make the transition. Hoffman definentely deserves it after his stint last year and the absolute tear hes been on in the AHL.

Maybe even get Stone back up here in a week or two when he has more time to get back into game shape. post injury

I thought Spezza and Zbad were starting to mesh fairly well, so I was thinking keep them together and try Hoffman or stone with them, demote Michalek to smiths line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad