Spezza/Ryan

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
I just want to talk a little bit about the Spezza/Ryan combo. I totally get and understand why some of youz dont want to split up the Turris line, I know thats the only line thats been consistent and really good but I have this feeling that we're really missing out on the nice chemistry between Spezza and Ryan on the top line together, our coach like never plays them together at all and when we do see them together on the pp you really see that glimpse of talent.

I think if Spezza and Ryan are together you have so many more options on that second line with Turris in the middle.

Whay do you guys think?

And am I the only one who feels that the coach is keeping Spezza and Ryan a way from each other.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Spetsa should be playing on the 3rd line until he learns to stop making blind passes to no one. Tonight's game is not enough - he needs to show more consistency.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
I disagree they both got a rocket of a shot as well and Turris moves the puck as well.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
Spetsa should be playing on the 3rd line until he learns to stop making blind passes to no one. Tonight's game is not enough - he needs to show more consistency.

I agree but hes always done those back passes tbh

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think they should try Smith - Spezza - Ryan and Mac - Turris - Zibanejad

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
I dont even notice Michalek on the ice lol its been like that for me for 15 games now, its pretty embarrassing.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Their styles don't mesh. Both are puck movers.

I'm not buying it. I think they'll eventually find some serious chemistry. Elite playmaker with an elite sniper. It's going to work out but as long as the Turris line is playing so well there's no need to rush it.

The way MacLean coaches everyone eventually plays with everyone else.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
Bobby Ryan is obviously better right now than "prime" Heatley and Spezza with Heatley worked so well. I only see offense if they play together.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'd consider giving MacArthur some reps with spezza but not Ryan. We've already seen that they dont mesh.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bobby Ryan is obviously better right now than "prime" Heatley and Spezza with Heatley worked so well. I only see offense if they play together.

I certainly dont know if I'd agree that Ryan is better right now than a prime Heatley. Heatley was a back to back 50 goal guy, and the pizza line will be remembered for years to come mainly because he and Spezza (and Alfie) were in god mode those years.

That being said I definitely prefer his complete game when compared to prime Heatley and his marquee move of sitting in the slot, motionless, with his stick in the air.

He's a physical force, and the type of player we've always lacked. And so far his defensive game is top notch in my books, which is something he's mentioned a few times that he prides himself on.

And with that being said, I would not even consider messing with the Turris line right now. Its just too dominant. And as others have said, he and Spezza are both puck distributors.

Although I wouldnt call either him or Spezza slow, I think they both need linemates with speed to best make use of their vision and creativity with the space that opens up.

And lastly, it feels freaking awesome to have 2 lines that can score (well one line and Spezza, but whatever).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So is Michalek, so is Turris, so is MacArthur.

In what dimension is Michalek a puck-mover.

Also, the proper term would be puck-possession player. Spezza loves to protect the puck and pass it when he feels comfortable. Ryan is the type of guy to pass and go like Turris and MacArthur which is why they make beauty passing plays sometimes.

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
I'd consider giving MacArthur some reps with spezza but not Ryan. We've already seen that they dont mesh.

They've played like 3 games together at the start of the season when Spezza was clearly injured and they never played an NHL game together in their career, how could anyone possible take any credit away from them or say they dont have chemistry smh players need time playing together before they go on fire, its bound to happen the coach needs to play them together.... Oh and may I add that Michaleks garbage play made the line look even worse.

SenatorArmy*

i think right now Turris is a better center than Spezza, period. Turris is going to do just fine no matter who his linemates are. Spezza on the other hand is some kind of delicate anomaly who needs such specific complimentary players that finding them has become impossible. As far as I'm concerned it's up to Jason Spezza to re-earn that #1 center title, but I would give him a bit of a break coming back from surgery & all. But at this point I wouldn't be opposed to putting Ryan on the Spezza's line & maybe Michalek with Turris

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
@samsquanch you are basically agreeing with me lol I wasn't comparing line vs line.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
They've played like 3 games together at the start of the season when Spezza was clearly injured and they never played an NHL game together in their career, how could anyone possible take any credit away from them or say they dont have chemistry smh players need time playing together before they go on fire, its bound to happen the coach needs to play them together.... Oh and may I add that Michaleks garbage play made the line look even worse.

They played all preseason and training camp together although spezza missed a few games. imo ryan isnt what spezza needs .Spezza is getting the points but defensively has been near the bottom of the league. Maybe a player who consistently brings a high compete level(mac) would help him. Most of us would agree that overall Turris has outplayed Spezza anyways. Might as well add that turris is usually ahead of spezza in ice time now so it would mean either turris gets less ice time or ryan gets less ice time.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Mac-Turris-Ryan is our best line right now...why on earth would we mess with that chemistry...haven't had consistency like that since 15-19-11 were playing together

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
Turris definitely has outplayed Spezza this season but I dont see Turris playing this well all season, he's over achieving imo

bigray19

Nov 21, 2013
Mac-Turris-Ryan is our best line right now...why on earth would we mess with that chemistry...haven't had consistency like that since 15-19-11 were playing together

Sounds legit.

Spezza was 4th in scoring and played some of his best hockey that season with no 11 or 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad