Speedshank's Top 10 - 2007 Draft

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
Here's my prediction for the Top 10.

Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane

It's a tough choice between Turris and Kane but Kane can make an immediate impact hopefully in the next couple of years where Turris will be a few more. Kane is a Robbie Shremp with wheels. Whats not to like. Maybe Kane can be the next Dennis Savard.

Philadelphia Flyers - James vanRiemsdyk

There's a lot of debate over the order of the top 6 but to me JVR is an obvious choice by Philly. They've been keeping an eye on JVR for awhile, even before he turned it on at the World U18. Philly can't ignore his size and speed. It's the Flyers way.

Phoenix Coyotes - Kyle Turris

Out of the Top 5 teams selecting, the Yotes are in the least rush to see their picks develop. That's what makes Turris a perfect selection, let him develop through the NCAA and wait and see in 3 or 4 years. Don Maloney has been quoting that the Yotes are going the Youth route.

Los Angeles Kings - Alexei Cherepanov

L.A have proven to be gamblers and this year will be no different with Cherepanov. I know he has a bad rap but the potential is off the charts. You simply can't ignore his rookie record in beating Bure's old mark. The Kings are probably in the best position to take the risk with the team they have. The Kings historically rely on signing and trading players than developing them.

Washington Capitals - Sam Gagner

Perhaps a little bit of shocker but the Caps will choose the player with the most character. The Caps are solid with prospects in D with Green and Schultz. It comes down to the best forwards left between Gagner and Voracek. Most of you will never agree that Voracek doesn't go in the top 3 but I'm predicting he's going to drop. Gagner has the skills and speed but most importantly he has proven leadership.

Edmonton Oilers - Jakub Voracek

The Oilers are going need time with this pick with Voracek available. The Oil will be tempted to draft the top defenseman available but Edmonton is going to continue with drafting forwards as oppose to defenseman. It's been a long time since the Oilers have drafted a defenseman with their No. 1. Why start now! Voracek is somewhat a safe bet and has the potential to be a top 6 forward.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Angelo Esposito

Despite the criticisms of Esposito, he still goes in the top 10. Again Columbus drafts what they need as oppose to picking the best defenseman in the draft. Columbus is deep on the blue line with Methot and Tollefsen playing well last year and of course Kris Russell not far behind. Columbus has drafted well over the last few years which is why they can take a chance on Esposito. You just can't ignore what he's capable of.

Boston Bruins - Karl Alzner

Finally Alzner gets selected 8th overall. Boston simply selects the best player available and believe me their ecstatic that Alzner was still there.

St. Louis Blues - Nick Petrecki

The Blues simply love his size and intensity. He may not be the next best defenseman available but he's probably the next best safe pick. The Blues have some depth on the blue line but I have a feeling their going to be moving some prospects this summer in order to get some immediate help up front. Petricki brings a physical presence that Blues couldn't ignore.

Florida Panthers - Zach Hamill

The Panthers go after the next best forward available in Hamil. It's really a crap shoot with the next 10 picks where there is very little to distinguish between players. The big surprise is where does Ellerby finish in the draft.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
a couple comments

espo is way too high in my opinion

alzner is too low

and cherepanov only has a bad rap on hf boards

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I really like that list. I think Cherepanov has gotten a bad rap around here and that he could be picked that high based on his supreme talent. Also, I could definitely see Petrecki going that high (he's the #2 Dman on my board). I know some will disagree, but I like what you did, good work. :handclap:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The first 5 are pretty much what I have...the next 5, not so much.

IMO, there is no chance of Edmonton not taking Alzner or Ellerby if they're available. I doubt Esposito would be picked up by Columbus, as I'm under the impression they want to shore up their defense as well. Also I think you're overrating Hamill. BTW, Logan Couture anyone?

Still, decent list.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Here's my prediction for the Top 10.

Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane

It's a tough choice between Turris and Kane but Kane can make an immediate impact hopefully in the next couple of years where Turris will be a few more. Kane is a Robbie Shremp with wheels. Whats not to like. Maybe Kane can be the next Dennis Savard.

Philadelphia Flyers - James vanRiemsdyk

There's a lot of debate over the order of the top 6 but to me JVR is an obvious choice by Philly. They've been keeping an eye on JVR for awhile, even before he turned it on at the World U18. Philly can't ignore his size and speed. It's the Flyers way.

Phoenix Coyotes - Kyle Turris

Out of the Top 5 teams selecting, the Yotes are in the least rush to see their picks develop. That's what makes Turris a perfect selection, let him develop through the NCAA and wait and see in 3 or 4 years. Don Maloney has been quoting that the Yotes are going the Youth route.

Los Angeles Kings - Alexei Cherepanov

L.A have proven to be gamblers and this year will be no different with Cherepanov. I know he has a bad rap but the potential is off the charts. You simply can't ignore his rookie record in beating Bure's old mark. The Kings are probably in the best position to take the risk with the team they have. The Kings historically rely on signing and trading players than developing them.

Washington Capitals - Sam Gagner

Perhaps a little bit of shocker but the Caps will choose the player with the most character. The Caps are solid with prospects in D with Green and Schultz. It comes down to the best forwards left between Gagner and Voracek. Most of you will never agree that Voracek doesn't go in the top 3 but I'm predicting he's going to drop. Gagner has the skills and speed but most importantly he has proven leadership.

Edmonton Oilers - Jakub Voracek

The Oilers are going need time with this pick with Voracek available. The Oil will be tempted to draft the top defenseman available but Edmonton is going to continue with drafting forwards as oppose to defenseman. It's been a long time since the Oilers have drafted a defenseman with their No. 1. Why start now! Voracek is somewhat a safe bet and has the potential to be a top 6 forward.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Angelo Esposito

Despite the criticisms of Esposito, he still goes in the top 10. Again Columbus drafts what they need as oppose to picking the best defenseman in the draft. Columbus is deep on the blue line with Methot and Tollefsen playing well last year and of course Kris Russell not far behind. Columbus has drafted well over the last few years which is why they can take a chance on Esposito. You just can't ignore what he's capable of.

Boston Bruins - Karl Alzner

Finally Alzner gets selected 8th overall. Boston simply selects the best player available and believe me their ecstatic that Alzner was still there.

St. Louis Blues - Nick Petrecki

The Blues simply love his size and intensity. He may not be the next best defenseman available but he's probably the next best safe pick. The Blues have some depth on the blue line but I have a feeling their going to be moving some prospects this summer in order to get some immediate help up front. Petricki brings a physical presence that Blues couldn't ignore.

Florida Panthers - Zach Hamill

The Panthers go after the next best forward available in Hamil. It's really a crap shoot with the next 10 picks where there is very little to distinguish between players. The big surprise is where does Ellerby finish in the draft.

You would think they would learn :shakehead

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I seriously doubt the Kings will waste their only pick in the first two rounds of this draft on Cherepanov...

The ones most talked about the Kings getting are...in no particular order...Alzner...Turris...Voracek...or Van Riemsdyk... Especially when rumores spread that Turris got a LOT of attention during this season by the Kings...

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think the Kings will draft Cherepanov. The whole transfer situation could scare off the Kings, who need help right now. Alzner is the guy I think they pick. JJ and Alzner will anchor the blueline for the next 6 years at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps drafted Voracek. He is a solid all round player who may be able to step as soon as this season.

Espo won't get drafted by the Jackets. They already have Brule and Brassard in the system to play down the middle. The Jackets need dmen and Ellerby may be their guy if Alzner is taken. The Jackets may also trade down knowing that they can have Ellerby a few picks later.

I also feel Petrecki and Hamill may be too high. The Blues will go with a forward and Esposito could be that forward. He has the potential to be a great player and the Blues may take that chance.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think the Kings will draft Cherepanov. The whole transfer situation could scare off the Kings, who need help right now. Alzner is the guy I think they pick. JJ and Alzner will anchor the blueline for the next 6 years at least.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps drafted Voracek. He is a solid all round player who may be able to step as soon as this season.

Espo won't get drafted by the Jackets. They already have Brule and Brassard in the system to play down the middle. The Jackets need dmen and Ellerby may be their guy if Alzner is taken. The Jackets may also trade down knowing that they can have Ellerby a few picks later.

I also feel Petrecki and Hamill may be too high. The Blues will go with a forward and Esposito could be that forward. He has the potential to be a great player and the Blues may take that chance.
Yes, we do need more defenseman. That's where we're weak. Nevertheless, I have a feeling most people in Jacketland (including our new GM) wouldn't touch Ellerby with a twenty foot poll. I've been wrong before. Besides, aren't there a good number of talented defenseman in the top end of next year's draft?

Don't count Columbus out of trying to trade up and get what we really want. *coughvoracekcough*

I can see us trading down a few picks if we know Esposito will drop that far. Or we'll just take Gagner/Espo/Alzner at 7. The damned Canadian scouts have been tearing him apart all year. There really doesn't seem to be much wrong with him. Whoever ends up taking him will have the steal of the draft. On that same thought, who else is in th camp that Tavares will take a very similar fall as Esposito's been taking? "The longer you're in the spotlight, the longer they have to pick you apart."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad