[Speculation] UNLV to D-I?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
UNLV to D-I? The Blueprint is There

It Still May Be A Ways Away, But For the Rebels, It's Grown to More than Just a Pipe Dream

by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor ...

On the list of schools often referred to as eventual new NCAA Division I teams, Nevada-Las Vegas — i.e. UNLV — is one that has risen in prominence the last few years. That's because, as a club program, it has gotten better and better, and while doing so, it has built a loyal following, and made noise itself about looking for a chance to become a D-I program.

The latest signal flare to go up was scheduling this past weekend's exhibition game against Denver. Last year, Denver played Lindenwood in an exhibition, and now here's Lindenwood, playing its first pair of D-I games this weekend, very competitively against Minnesota.

Now, playing Denver doesn't mean UNLV is any closer to become a D-I program today than it was last week. And the Rebels were a bit of a sacrificial lamb to a Denver team that is defending NCAA champions and has 12 NHL Draft picks, as evidenced by the 10-0 final score.

But it does mean the school is at least open to the idea, and has discussed it. Which is a lot more than can be said about other programs whose name is bandied about. In November, UNLV is hosting Alaska-Anchorage in a four-team tournament, which also includes Liberty, another college whose name has been rumored for joining D-I. ...

Read more at: CHN-Wodon: UNLV to D-I? The Blueprint is There

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The summary for UNLV is the same as before, they need money, but compared to previous AD's at least the new one hasn't shut them down on their aspirations entirely. And there's some loose attempts to try and woo a donor.

Overall I don't believe anything is imminent with the Rebels. Even though they have taken some steps with scheduling their exhibition games this season against Denver and x3 vs UAA, I don't believe that is indicative of any actual move since there is no official effort or declaration by the athletic department, or any funds raised. Every so often their team makes a statement or some article like this one comes out talking about potential for a move. I know some in the ACHA who have the opinion they've used false promises of NCAA hockey to further recruiting in the past. In my opinion it's less about that and more of a marketing tool to attract fans.

To repeat myself a bit in conclusion, the big difference now is that it sounds like the current AD is at least open to it if a donor funds it, where as previously the team was outright told there was no shot whether money was there or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad