Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think you likely need to at least start the season flipping chytil and strome. I agree with most of this though.
Makes no sense ruining chemistry. Chytil and Panarin I can’t see playing too well together.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
See, I'm not sure I agree.

Our people here have said that NYR were sniffing around Gauthier for a while before finally sending Keane to Carolina for him. Drury would have been highly involved in that deal.

Has the bloom fallen of the rose that fast for Drury Re: Goat?

I think he gets 1 more kick at the can here.
I hope so. I actually think his next proper chance here would be his first. I know there’s probably more to it. But until I see more, that’s what I’m believing :)

Reactions: TheDirtyH

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I've despised nearly everything Drury's done this offseason, but this Olbermann dude sounds like an absolute wacko

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There was an attitude of complacency the last two seasons that I wasn't comfortable with given the unexpected level of talent we had on the roster.

The team absolutely lacked the 'depth' and more importantly the experience to be a great roster, but we certainly had the talent to at least be a good roster. The NYR teams that made the playoffs from 2005-2009 were not leaps and bounds better than what we had the last two years, albeit with more consistent star goaltending.

So Drury's moves will be evaluated on how they change the culture of this team towards the expectation of success- the playoffs should no longer be a pie in the sky goal, they should be the minimum expectation.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers have Will Cuylle dilemma because of arbitrary rule

Been inundated with the Giants season about to spiral out of control.

What to do Ranger fans? Thoughts?

It's probably more hand wringing about the oddity of the situation than something that is really important to his development, another year in Windsor is probably just fine for him. He didn't dominate the CHL, he didn't dominate the AHL. It'd be nice if he could take another crack at the AHL in a more normal seasons but it's not the end of the world

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm gonna post the same exact thing I posted last time that dipshit Olberman was mentioned here. Also, anyone buying into anything he says is dumb as hell and you deserve to be judged for it.

Keith Olbermann has been one of biggest douchebag losers to cover sports in the last half century.

He is a terrible person, has no credibility, and should not be used as a reference for anything. You'd be just as well off posting Alex Jones.

Olbermann has been railing on Rangers fans for decades saying about what crap fans they are. Just an old asshole.

Olbermann went randomly off his rocker targeting Drury and the Rangers specifically under the Nemeth signing of all things.

Anyone who remembers his bullshit grabbing headlines during the Rangers most recent cup run should know all that they need to know about this guy.

McDonagh played through a broken foot in 2015 through his own volition and under approval by the doctors. Olbermann decided to ridicule a playing hurt captain. Great character reference this guy is.

“And until he missed practice on the morning of Game 7, nobody even had a clue that it was any worse than ‘he suddenly stunk and was playing so badly he should have been benched,’’ Olbermann says. “McDonagh was playing through it, getting it iced or shot up with painkillers or otherwise metaphorically frozen and not revealing it publicly in part because every hockey player thinks he’s Bobby damned Baun.”
Olbermann goes on to describe it as “Bobby damned Baun syndrome.”
Baun, as most Canadian hockey fans would know — and certainly all Leafs fans — was the player who scored the winning goal in Game 6 of the 1964 Stanley Cup final while playing on a broken leg.
Playing hurt might be noble, Olbermann argues, but it is not always practical: “Congrats on your grit, which helped cost your team a trip to the Stanley Cup final.”

Keith Olbermann critical of New York Rangers playing injured during playoffs: 'Congrats on your grit, which helped cost your team' | National Post

Olbermann got suspended multiple times by NBC for violating political donation rules and regulations. He was then unceremoniously fired in 2011 while being one the most watched hosts on all of their programming. Dude is a clown.

When the Penn State scandal came out 6 years ago, 2015, there were obviously many many people that wanted to do nothing but show support for the victims and make an effort to change. Olbermann took time out of his day to get into fights with those that worked to raise 13 million for child care and cancer research. He was subsequently suspended by ESPN.

Last month the "Olbermann" host went on a tirade against the settlement between Penn State and the NCAA that restored the football wins that had been stripped from the program in the aftermath of the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.
Possibly in response to those remarks, a woman tweeted Olbermann a link to a news story about a Penn State charity event that raised more than $13 million to help support children and their families fighting pediatric cancer.
She also included the first two words of the school's signature chant, "We are Penn State!" To which Olbermann replied in a tweet, "....Pitiful."
Many Penn State supporters took Olbermann's response to mean he was calling the charitable effort pitiful. He responded directly to those people, calling them names and hurling insults at them while claiming that his tweet reflected his belief that Penn State students are the ones who are pitiful.

If you want to use someone as a source for such vitriol nonsense, then there should be no problem showing what kind of credibility that person actually has.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
When a very experienced reporter with 1m followers post a tweet like that accusing Drury to be a “paranoid conspiracy theorist”, it makes you wonder what it is about. Could be some mix up about the TDA debacle, but if that’s the case it’s beyond bad…
He is experienced at getting suspended and fired from major relations including ESPN and NBC for being a terrible reporter and a terrible person. Do your best to not go out of your way to give credence and validity to such a scumbag.

Reactions: Ola

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I’ve been questioning this “rule” for a couple weeks. It was an arbitrary number and sending a guy back to the CHL who’s ready for the AHL is in no one’s interest.
I’m not saying Cuylle is ready or that going back to the CHL is a bad idea. I’m just saying the rule is at least questionable.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I’ve been questioning this “rule” for a couple weeks. It was an arbitrary number and sending a guy back to the CHL who’s ready for the AHL is in no one’s interest.
I’m not saying Cuylle is ready or that going back to the CHL is a bad idea. I’m just saying the rule is at least questionable.
It’s a dumb rule to appease the Canadian junior hockey market fearing a talent drain, like the NHL should care. If he can’t play in Hartford because we weren’t smart enough to get him 2 more games then loan him to an NLA team or something.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It’s a dumb rule to appease the Canadian junior hockey market fearing a talent drain, like the NHL should care. If he can’t play in Hartford because we weren’t smart enough to get him 2 more games then loan him to an NLA team or something.
While I’d rather him play in the AHL, I think it’d be good to let Cuylle dominate the OHL. He hasn’t put up over a PPG yet or even close in that league. Let him get some offensive confidence and focus on being more than a Nick Ritchie. That’s still a great outcome, but it doesn’t hurt to have him lead a team on and off the scoresheet. NLA he’ll only play middle 6. AHL I doubt he gets legit top 6 time and I’m unsure if he’s ready for that despite his great showing in the prospect tourney

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There was an attitude of complacency the last two seasons that I wasn't comfortable with given the unexpected level of talent we had on the roster.

The team absolutely lacked the 'depth' and more importantly the experience to be a great roster, but we certainly had the talent to at least be a good roster. The NYR teams that made the playoffs from 2005-2009 were not leaps and bounds better than what we had the last two years, albeit with more consistent star goaltending.

So Drury's moves will be evaluated on how they change the culture of this team towards the expectation of success- the playoffs should no longer be a pie in the sky goal, they should be the minimum expectation.
I don’t know if it was a crisis of leadership or a major divide in the room, but that complete lack of hustle/urgency was never on display like it was last season.
If the fault lies with Quinn, roster construction, or just being to young and green in general. Don’t get me wrong, we had other problems but that was my biggest gripe.
In any sport, I just can stand when any team comes out stale and basically doesn’t have the balls to look at themselves in the mirror and fix it.
We had a real danger of that kind of Aw shucks Throw up your hands effort really a danger of effecting our kids.
Say what you will about Drurys offseason moves, but he at least recognized this with lack of toughness and it was addressed by bringing in solid character competitor players.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I personally believe that both Sather AND Drury helped the process along with getting both Gorton and JD fired.

Its one thing to have outsiders chirping. If you trust the guys in charge, all that is is white noise.

I have no doubt that both Glenn and Chris were chirping from the inside and THAT would carry greater weight when added to the outside noise.

Olbermann is still a POS, not gonna dispute that, but I do share the same opinion regarding how the management change took place

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don’t know if it was a crisis of leadership or a major divide in the room, but that complete lack of hustle/urgency was never on display like it was last season.
If the fault lies with Quinn, roster construction, or just being to young and green in general. Don’t get me wrong, we had other problems but that was my biggest gripe.
In any sport, I just can stand when any team comes out stale and basically doesn’t have the balls to look at themselves in the mirror and fix it.
We had a real danger of that kind of Aw shucks Throw up your hands effort really a danger of effecting our kids.
Say what you will about Drurys offseason moves, but he at least recognized this with lack of toughness and it was addressed by bringing in solid character competitor players.

I think my fear was/is that it was actually FAR worse then we as "hardcore" fans could even imagine.

It WAS a mess but IF it was even worse than we knew, the firings of Gorts/JD and Quinn make complete sense. Quinn being an almost afterthought since he was probably gone regardless.

(The offseason moves Drury made were coming, more or less, with Gorton making them IMO)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Brooksie always needs something to complain about. Last year it was Lundkvist going to free agency instead of signing with the Rangers. Cuylle needs to play and he will get major minutes in the OHL. He barely played last season. How many minutes is Knoblauch giving to a 19 year old player? Larry needs to relax, Life is short for frivolous shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad