Special Teams

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Yeah, not a fan of Brunner on the point. He's right handed, I get why they want him there, but he's too weak along the boards and his shot is better from lower down.

He's proven that he's not known as the Swiss MacInnis in his homeland, that's for sure. His slapper ends up looking like a Wakefield knuckler most of the time. Put him down low where he can pull the trigger with his wrister, which is pretty solid.

Plus, he's scary defensively on the point. Might help to decrease the shorties given up by moving him off the point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's proven that he's not known as the Swiss MacInnis in his homeland, that's for sure. His slapper ends up looking like a Wakefield knuckler most of the time. Put him down low where he can pull the trigger with his wrister, which is pretty solid.

Plus, he's scary defensively on the point. Might help to decrease the shorties given up by moving him off the point.

Yeah, watching Perron plough through him last game to set up that shortie...it looked like something that should have been a nothing play, but Brunner just couldn't jam it up at the line.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What about this when healthy:
Mule, Dats, Z, White, Kronwall.
Brunner, Fil, Bert, Sammy, Smith.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What about this when healthy:
Mule, Dats, Z, White, Kronwall.
Brunner, Fil, Bert, Sammy, Smith.

I'd like to see Fil on the point just because he'll never shoot the puck, he's a good set up guy and can hold onto the puck, and he's great defensively. I guess I'd like to see us put all our eggs in one good PP unit and let the second basically struggle to gain the zone, much less register a shot on goal. So something like:

Z-Pavs-Brunner
Kronwall-Fil

That should be a pretty solid PP unit and it gets Brunner in close where his shot is most effective.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
PP-SHOOT THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!! Nothing irks me more then watching a 2:00 power play consisting of 1:00+ of passing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth..., 2-3 turnovers resulting in dumped pucks, and only 1 or 2 shots. We have the snipers and playmakers. Set the play up put it on net and crash the rebound. When something isn't working in hockey the smartest thing you can do is play KISS hockey. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Keep it simple, don't go for the pretty play, go for the percentage play.;)

Aug 6, 2012
If everyone's healthy (lol):

1st unit PP:
Brunner - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Zetterberg - Smith

2nd unit PP:
Tatar - Filppula - Franzen
Kronwall - White

I know its a bit off-the-board but I don't want Kronwall on the 1st unit, I think Smith and White are better PP players. Hank can QB the 1st unit. And the second unit would actually be able to produce.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia

Babcock has shown an apparently unquenchable desire to have a mediocre forward without a big shot on the right point, no matter how ineffective or vulnerable defensively. It's been a constant for years.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'd like to see Tatar worked into the PP somehow. I think he's earned a shot there. Over Bert.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I want to see an umbrella system but with the two low guys one (Franzen) being in front of the net. Franzen (front net)- Datsyuk (right side low)
Brunner (left top circle)- Kronwall (middle point)- Zetterberg (right top circle)

Then PP2

Samuelsson- Filppula- Tatar
White- Smith

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
90% of our energy is spent trying to get a perfect shot from the point. We could be standing right next to the net and still try to thread a pass through 2 defenders back to the point.

That and no one will pull the trigger until they think they can score on the shot. It drives me nuts. Get the puck into the crease. You don't need to score on the shot, you just need to get it to the crease. Or not even all the way there. Just get the puck headed that way. Stop waiting for the perfect setup.

Aug 6, 2012
All they have to do is play the puck down low a little more often. Give Datsyuk the puck down low and have him look for a cross-crease setup. If the D collapses, which they will, it opens up the point way more than what it is right now.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
All they have to do is play the puck down low a little more often. Give Datsyuk the puck down low and have him look for a cross-crease setup. If the D collapses, which they will, it opens up the point way more than what it is right now.

Whether it's down low or at the point, it looks to me like the power play blows because the guys without the puck don't move, and when they do move they're not moving in ways that open up passing or shooting lanes. They never have anyone skating through the PKers, they're always skating around the outside. And the guys at the point can't make a pass or put a shot toward the net without hitting shinpads.

Other teams, when the Wings' PK gets overly aggressive challenging the points, they take advantage by moving their guys into that open space that opens up between the D and the guys checking the point.

The Wings don't do that - the guy with the puck at the point just stands there and eats it and either throws it around the boards (turnover) or coughs it up directly to the guy that's pressuring him. The latter results in either a breakaway, a 2 on 1, or a 2 on 0. This happens all. The. Time.

Part of it's because they have lousy point men on the PP that don't know what to do with the puck, and part of it is because the other PPers aren't putting themselves into open spaces where they could take a pass and relieve the pressure.

What I can't figure out is why the PP has been getting worse, not better. They have coaches. They have video. They should be able to see what's going on. Ok, so they have **** for defensemen and PP point talent. You should still be able to coach them up a little. And yet, they look absolutely dreadful. Kindl and Tatar were their only effective PPers against the Ducks. Wtf.

If Renney's supposed to be a PP guru, he seems like he's coaching his way into an ECHL assistant coach's job at this point.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Sammy is going to replace Brunner on the 1st unit. Normally I would not be happy to hear this, but at this point in time I'm actually looking forward to it. Any change that might spark something on the road works for me. He can and will shoot it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Sammy is going to replace Brunner on the 1st unit. Normally I would not be happy to hear this, but at this point in time I'm actually looking forward to it. Any change that might spark something on the road works for me. He can and will shoot it.

Sammy can't shoot without hitting the goalie in the crest or putting it in the 15th row, though. I highly doubt it will make a positive difference.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Sammy can't shoot without hitting the goalie in the crest or putting it in the 15th row, though. I highly doubt it will make a positive difference.

Well it can't possibly make a negative difference, so at this point in time I don't think standing pat is an option.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Silver lining:

Our penalty kill has gone two games without a conceded goal, 7 penalties in-a-row, if counted also the last ones from the Blues game after Tarasenko PP goal.

Hopefully that continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad