SPC Length

BlackOmen

Mar 5, 2006
Longford
If SPC were limited in length to 3 years maximum wouldn't that help lower player salaries? Sure teams with amazing players would be frustrated to see those top players leave after three years but there would always be the possiability of signing a new player.

I am having second thoughts but I still want to see what other people have to think about this.

Kostolany

Apr 26, 2006
Vienna, AUSTRIA
What does SPC mean?

Just want to add an other question.

Why does franchises prefer to offer only one year contracts instead of multi-year

contracts as it is usual in Europe. e.g. football clubs

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
What does SPC mean?

Just want to add an other question.

Why does franchises prefer to offer only one year contracts instead of multi-year

contracts as it is usual in Europe. e.g. football clubs

Because you are not tied down if the player does not work out which happens in many cases (ex:Pronger) and it will be easier to trade the player to another team like at the trading deadline if they only have to pick up that one year contract. Also, with older players you don't want to be tied down- like JR in Phoenix- no way he would get more than a year to see how he does. With the new CBA you are going to see shorter not longer contracts as the norm.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
My thought:

Shorter term = smaller window of opportunity to build a team and make a run. If 30 teams are all trying to make a playoff run, they are going to bid up the price of players they want to help them make that run ... meaning salaries will go higher in the short-term.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
My thought:

Shorter term = smaller window of opportunity to build a team and make a run. If 30 teams are all trying to make a playoff run, they are going to bid up the price of players they want to help them make that run ... meaning salaries will go higher in the short-term.

Well said. I would add that the wise GMs will likely try to stagger contract expirations on key players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad