Rumor: Sparks On The Block

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That is Gretzky level reading of the game.

Move out of the goal and the senator player will think "oh no there is a penalty been called on us, and stop playing"

smart-kvnsfc.jpg
I'll never forget that play!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'll never buy the "gamble" or "bet" stuff to rationalize when you had a known quantity in net. Why gamble when you didn't have to? Is there anyone here who actually though Sparkles amounted to anything more than McBackup at best? Backup goalie is a tough gig, when you have a workhorse starter, Leafs finally found one and instead some misplaced loyalty ends up putting risk where none existed. Why bet in the first place? It only blew up in our faces because it really was a self inflicted wound.

Wasn't one bit surprised it turned out that way, whatever plan we had should have been revised when Sparks **** the bed in training camp. Goaltending is mostly mental, Sparks never had the temperament, no matter. It was error then, an error now, and Dubas is cutting bait, which bodes well.

The "bet" was self created. If it ain't broke....particularly when the alternative is what you had at best anyways, at worst, well.

I doubt we get anything for him, all the talk I heard around the league is this guy is fundamentally flawed.

Trading/waiving your graduating goalie prospect to keep a 36 year old journeyman backup is a gamble.

Honestly, I know you're smarter than this. You know you don't give up on a prospect who you develop successfully for half a decade, because he had a couple bad games in training camp. Johnsson had a bad camp too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'll never buy the "gamble" or "bet" stuff to rationalize when you had a known quantity in net. Why gamble when you didn't have to? Is there anyone here who actually though Sparkles amounted to anything more than McBackup at best? Backup goalie is a tough gig, when you have a workhorse starter, Leafs finally found one and instead some misplaced loyalty ends up putting risk where none existed. Why bet in the first place? It only blew up in our faces because it really was a self inflicted wound.

Wasn't one bit surprised it turned out that way, whatever plan we had should have been revised when Sparks **** the bed in training camp. Goaltending is mostly mental, Sparks never had the temperament, no matter. It was error then, an error now, and Dubas is cutting bait, which bodes well.

The "bet" was self created. If it ain't broke....particularly when the alternative is what you had at best anyways, at worst, well.

I doubt we get anything for him, all the talk I heard around the league is this guy is fundamentally flawed.

His preseason play was absolutely abysmal.

Reactions: DarkKnight

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Trading/waiving your graduating goalie prospect to keep a 36 year old journeyman backup is a gamble.

I guess in that sense, they are both gambles.

You don't know what you have in a graduating prospect in any position, but it is much harder to hide a goaltender that is overwhelmed vs. a 4th liner that is.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I guess in that sense, they are both gambles.

You don't know what you have in a graduating prospect in any position, but it is much harder to hide a goaltender that is overwhelmed vs. a 4th liner that is.

Such is the reality of goalies. Fortunately you can find a replacement if necessary, as they did with Hutchinson.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Such is the reality of goalies. Fortunately you can find a replacement if necessary, as they did with Hutchinson.

Hutchinson is a good #3 goaltender that you want in your organization, but really couldn't trust to have that many starts unless someone gets hurt.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We finna get our dorkios traded treal hard son! For real baby1 ! Y'all get it! right!! Right!! We finna make room for the marner!! he ours for life son! 10 years! Sentence! Never out! Believe DAT DERE!!!!!!!! :fire: :pump: :fist: :fisting: :tough: :nails: We TRADING EVERYBODY WE DON*T LOVE!!!

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't even think he screwed up honestly. Giving Sparks a chance was the right call. Things don't always work out. Time to move on.

Imagine the message it would send to FA signings if you do everything right down on the Marlies. Goalie of the year, win a championship, and you get waived before you get any chance with the big club.

Absolutely the right move. If prospects work hard and improve and win with the Marlies, you’ll get a shot on the Leafs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would seem the Sparks era is coming to an end :laugh:

I still think the decision to keep him was the correct one, it didn't work out but it was still the correct decision to make with the information we had at the time

I think he's going to be traded for somebody else's #3G looking for a change of scenery, a waiver fodder swap if you will

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Imagine the message it would send to FA signings if you do everything right down on the Marlies. Goalie of the year, win a championship, and you get waived before you get any chance with the big club.

Absolutely the right move. If prospects work hard and improve and win with the Marlies, you’ll get a shot on the Leafs.

I agree, the mistake was not keeping the 3rd goalie. Could have sent Marincin off to greener pastures and kept McBackup or even Pickard who I thought was going to work out too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sparks badly needs to go somewhere else. I think he's more talented than people give him credit for, but I don't think he's mentally strong enough to play for Toronto

I think he's fed up with the lack of intensity more than anything. Some guys just don't fit.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a toss in or we'll get a late round pick so we can sign a guy like Kinkaid.

Dubas made the right choice giving him a chance, and I would still give him another chance based on his performance, but if he doesn't fit anymore, that is irrelevant.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I agree, the mistake was not keeping the 3rd goalie. Could have sent Marincin off to greener pastures and kept McBackup or even Pickard who I thought was going to work out too.

I suspect the plan actually was to keep one of them, and they didn't think both would be claimed. Scott Darling was injured literally hours after they went on waivers, which is what caused the Hurricanes to need McBackup.

Every aspect of the situation ended up as the worst case scenario.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't even think he screwed up honestly. Giving Sparks a chance was the right call. Things don't always work out. Time to move on.

But he did screw up because it didn't work, it's only the right call if it works that's what makes it the right call.

A wrong call is a wrong call because they don't work.

This didn't work therefore it was the wrong call thankfully it looks like Dubas is going to fix it.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But he did screw up because it didn't work, it's only the right call if it works that's what makes it the right call.

A wrong call is a wrong call because they don't work.

This didn't work therefore it was the wrong call thankfully it looks like Dubas is going to fix it.
this isn't a great way to look at it, honestly. All you can expect is someone looks at all the information available and makes an informed and logical decision. You can't expect him to be able to predict the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad