Pre-Game Talk: Southern Conference Finals

Who wins?

• Total voters

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
uhh, what? eye test is that our 3rd pair this year is notably better than last year. I'm not great with advanced stats but a quick look at xG% and actual goal% supports that.

xG%:

Cole-Smith
Regular season: 60.3%
Playoffs: 45.7%

Ghost-Chat
Regular season: 67.5%
Playoffs: 50.5%

actual goal%:

Cole-Smith
Regular season: 55%
Playoffs: 40%

Ghost-Chat
Regular season: 57.1%
Playoffs: 44.4%

And that doesn't even take into account the significant amount of boneheaded penalties Cole and Smith took...

Lets look at. Boston and Ranger were a lot better than Isles and Devils.

C-S had a better goals against / 60 by a .65 goal.
Ghost-Chat- had a better xGA by .37 / 60
C-S had a better HDCF / 60 by 4.4 and a lower HDCA / 60 by 3.91
C-S played harder matchups and had half the O zone starts per 60, and almost twice the D zone starts per 60.
Chat and Ghost have a 73.8 % o zone start percentage in 5v5 play.
C-S was 48%.

The difference in the 2 pairs in xG%/60 is only 2.55 percentage points. in Ghost/Chat's favor. Not as big of a number as the count data suggests.

Despite Chat and Ghost being heavily protected against weaker competition, Cole and Smith still allowed less HD chances per 60 and allowed less goals per 60. Probably add in Raanta had a lower save percentage last playoffs than Andersen does now which would help boost Ghost's and Chat's on ice numbers too.

Chat and Ghost have been Hankappa/Bean or Gardiner/Fluery levels of meh looking at the rates, starting positions, and level of competition.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Lets look at. Boston and Ranger were a ton better than Isles and Devils.

C-S had a better goals against / 60 by a .65 goal.
Ghost-Chat- had a better xGA by .37 / 60
C-S had a better HDCF / 60 by 4.4 and a lower HDCA / 60 by 3.91
C-S played harder matchups and had half the O zone starts per 60, and almost twice the D zone starts per 60.
Chat and Ghost have a 73.8 % o zone start percentage in 5v5 play.
C-S was 48%.

The difference in the 2 pairs in xG%/60 is only 2.55 percentage points. in Ghost/Chat's favor. Not as big of a number as the count data suggests.

Despite Chat and Ghost being heavily protected against weaker competition, Cole and Smith still allowed less HD chances per 60 and allowed less goals per 60. Probably add in Raanta had a lower save percentage last playoffs than Andersen does now which would help boost Ghost's and Chat's on ice numbers too.

Chat and Ghost have been Hankappa/Bean or Gardiner/Fluery levels of meh looking at the rates, starting positions, and level of competition.
Interesting. Any numbers on zone exits for the two pairings? My memory/eye test says Chat and Ghost get the puck back out fairly quickly, thus less D-zone time, while Cole and Smith were often hemmed in and had more icings per 60, so a rise in D zone starts would be expected.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Cole and smith both kinda sucked
Stats aside, Chatfield's speed has bailed the Canes out time and again over the course of the season + in the playoffs against the Devils. I like this pair much more than LY's Smith-Cole group.

My only worry this series is whether Ghost will be muscled out by the aggressive Panther forecheck.

Last edited:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I've heard from people smarter than I that practicing gratitude is a key to happiness. So here's one for today.

Normally by this time of the season, we'd be pages deep into a draft thread. Remember when the draft lottery was a big deal for us? It's a strange feeling to know that whoever we pick at 32 will have no impact for several years. But this is what it's like to be successful and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I've heard from people smarter than I that practicing gratitude is a key to happiness. So here's one for today.

Normally by this time of the season, we'd be pages deep into a draft thread. Remember when the draft lottery was a big deal for us? It's a strange feeling to know that whoever we pick at 32 will have no impact for several years. But this is what it's like to be successful and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I was thinking about how lucky we are to have a team that competes literally every single playoffs.

I was looking through Capitals playoff history and forgot they only made the ECF once in the Ovechkin era in like 15 tries. We’ve never had an epic implosion like 2019 Tampa or 2022 Bruins either.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That is not a serious opinion held by serious people. Bojangles is the best fried chicken here, period. Popeyes is fine, Church's is gross, Zaxby's isn't chicken.

Stefan Johnson knows what's up.

Best fast food fried chicken. For those in Cary or Greensboro, hit up Lucky 32 sometime. Absolute best chicken I've ever had. Not the same price point, however.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
At least they were fighting in the right place... Bojangles parking lot is the place to "settle" all disputes
So where would arbitration take place? The drive-thru?
I was thinking about how lucky we are to have a team that competes literally every single playoffs.

I was looking through Capitals playoff history and forgot they only made the ECF once in the Ovechkin era in like 15 tries. We’ve never had an epic implosion like 2019 Tampa or 2022 Bruins either.
Hush yo mouf!!!!

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Best fast food fried chicken. For those in Cary or Greensboro, hit up Lucky 32 sometime. Absolute best chicken I've ever had. Not the same price point, however.
Absolutely! And for those in Charlotte now that the coupe is closed, Cajun Yard Dog has some of the best fried chicken around, or at least they did a few years ago the last time I ate there.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Truth. Very good everything else as well
Any restaurant Dennis Quaintance runs, really. Green Valley Grill and the resturant at the Proximity are also stupidly good. Don't know if he's got anything in the Raleigh area other than that second Lucky 32 in Cary, but if you're in Greensboro do give the others a try!

Reactions: Summer Rose

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Any restaurant Dennis Quaintance runs, really. Green Valley Grill and the resturant at the Proximity are also stupidly good. Don't know if he's got anything in the Raleigh area other than that second Lucky 32 in Cary, but if you're in Greensboro do give the others a try!
Ty will do. L32 has been a go to place for us since it opened . I thought the Cary store was the original?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad