OT: South Florida Visitors - post travel related questions here

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Looking forward to next trip to Florida for some fishing and hockey. Just a question to you folks. Is it hard to get tickets now after the increase in interest in following the team. It would be a serious disappointment if I only could catch a marlin or two...and not see Panthers live.

Tickets aren't hard to get, unless maybe vs the top teams. The whole difference is the team doesn't give out many free tickets now, so not many below face value tickets on second handed sites. I'd recommend buying tix ahead of time just so you can get the seats you want just in case tho

patekilla

Jun 24, 2012
Florida
Looking for the best hotel

Hey guys wings fan coming in peace!

I'm traveling from Bradenton tomorrow to go to the game, was hoping one of you guys could point me in the direction of a good decently priced place to stay!
Good luck tomorrow we need the win bad, but The cats are my second favorite team!

Tranq

Dec 13, 2008
Im going to game tomorrow. What are the food options at the BB&T center aside from hot dogs and nachos? I remember only the concession places. Any recommedations?

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Im going to game tomorrow. What are the food options at the BB&T center aside from hot dogs and nachos? I remember only the concession places. Any recommedations?

Shrimp stir fry and big turkey sandwiches in the bar above Pantherland - they make it fresh for you. Pasta on the main level around section 108-110.

Club level, if you have access, has pasta as well and a lot of other choices.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL

The food courts have your standard chicken fingers, burgers, hot dogs, etc. If you go to the club level though, they have more options with prime rib carving stations, pasta bowls, pizza, etc. I almost never eat at the arena because of their ridiculous prices, so there I know there are other options around the arena. Even a restaurant I believe on the Club/Suite Level.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida

If you go to the food court, get crab fries. I loooooove them.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
How to Enjoy Attending a Panthers Game

I am flying down to see games 1 and 2 with my son and my in-laws who live near Sunrise. I am looking for advice and insight from Panthers fans about how to do this right.

1. What is going on before the games? Is anything planned for the big area outside the arena or anywhere else?

2. What color will everyone be wearing? Red?

3. Where do we get rats and what is the protocol for throwing/holding them?

4. Are there any other in-game fan behaviors that we should watch for as Panther fans?

5. What is the best food in the arena?

6. We were there earlier this year and saw a lot of women with large purses being told they had to leave their purse in their cars. Any other entry restrictions we should know about.

7. What radio station has the most/best Panthers coverage?

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I am flying down to see games 1 and 2 with my son and my in-laws who live near Sunrise. I am looking for advice and insight from Panthers fans about how to do this right.

1. What is going on before the games? Is anything planned for the big area outside the arena or anywhere else?

4. Are there any other in-game fan behaviors that we should watch for as Panther fans?

6. We were there earlier this year and saw a lot of women with large purses being told they had to leave their purse in their cars. Any other entry restrictions we should know about.

There's always something outside before the game, mostly stuff for kids. Im guessing red is the color. Rats can be bought from the store (at the arena) or you could just find plastic rats at a dollar store or something. Don't throw them until the game is over. We would rather not get penalized for the fans being *******s and throwing rats even though being warned. I don't really know what to answer for number 4 :laugh:. 5. I don't have club tickets so I just usually go get something from the food court (that something is crab fries because they're the best). Yea they don't allow "normal" sized bags/purses inside. I'd recommend to go without any bags. Also, I believe you're not allowed to bring cameras. I don't listen to radio so can't say anything for number 7.
Have fun and hopefully you'll enjoy your stay down here!

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Women's bags can't be larger than 12x12. They have a few employees holding up cardboard cutouts that size so you can check.

560 or 640 am have the games on the radio.

There is a HUGE mall directly across from the arena. Lots of restaurants including Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Rainforest Cafe, etc.

You can park at the mall, close to the movie theater, and walk across the street to the game. It's $20 to park so that'll save you some money. Cops help you cross so you're not dodging cars!

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

1. What is going on before the games? Is anything planned for the big area outside the arena or anywhere else? Usually kids activites/music on the plaza before game time. Doors open 90 mins before puck drop. Practice is approx 35 mins before puck drop (You can go directly to the glass to watch them practice. This is a REALLY neat experience. Get there earlier than 35 mins to get a good spot.

2. What color will everyone be wearing? Red? Red. Free Red T-shirts handed out to everyone in attendance tomorrow.

3. Where do we get rats and what is the protocol for throwing/holding them? You can buy them at team store but they are expensive $5-10 iirc. Better bet is stopping by party city where you can pick up like 20 for $10. DO NOT THROW during game. Only time to throw is after game assuming positive result.

4. Are there any other in-game fan behaviors that we should watch for as Panther fans? After we score a goal. The announcer will yell out PANTHERS. You should respond by saying GOAL!

5. What is the best food in the arena? Club level has the best gourmet food. If you want snack bottomless popcorn is $7 and souvenir soda with free refills is $11.

6. We were there earlier this year and saw a lot of women with large purses being told they had to leave their purse in their cars. Any other entry restrictions we should know about. No big bags allowed.

7. What radio station has the most/best Panthers coverage? 640 AM or 560 AM depending on which station is covering marlins/panthers.

See above red comments.

Last edited:

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com

They have a Subway too. Few dollars more than a regular Subway store, but IMO the best bang for your buck.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Events on the JetBlue Tarmac which is what they call the big area start around 530. Usually they have giveaways, the Panther's ice skaters are there (used to have more eye candy but they got rid of the ice dancers), they have a DJ, a few giveaways, radio stations etc. Since it's the playoffs they may have a few more planned

Most all fans wear red for normal games. In 2011, most all fans wore red

Pantherland sells them. Party City and like retailers do not. Trust me I have checked. Protocol is after the game only. Please do not throw them before that. A couple games ago thete was a rat giveaway inside the arena that led to 2 Panther penalties for delay of game because morons did not know the tradition and did not follow directions. There will be a notification before the game about throwing items as well

Panthers superhero will undoubtedly be there. Awesome guy to sit around and talk to aND a great fan. Always gets a big ovation. Other than that just cheer your ass off. There will undoubtedly be a group of Islanders fans since it's still season and even when it isn't NY is always well repped. So drown them out. Also on "the rockets red glare" line during the anthem the entire crowd screams the "RED".

The best food is outside the arena. Bahama Breeze is my ritualistic spot before games. I park in between there and the arena in the Sawgrass lot, hit up their happy hour which is from 4-6 and includes drinks of all sorts and apps. Get there early though as on busy game nights they fill up quick. My plan is to be there by 430.

12x12 and it is well enforced.

560 or 640. Tomorrow's game will be televised on CNBC

See bold.

Last edited:

Jani8

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm coming over to Florida with the mrs and the kids for 3 weeks in June. I still have few open questions.

1. Sunpass

How does this work? I read somewhere that it is cheapers to buy the transponder than to rent it with the car. Or do rental cars have sunpass by default? If you recommend buying it, is there somethere in Miami International a place where you can buy it?

2. Car rental

Any rental companys one should avoid? Any rental companys suggested to use, as in good price and no BS?

3. Local recommendations

We're staying in Lantana but will be driving to the Keys, Kennedy space center, Disney World, Siesta Key in Sarasota, Everglades etc. Anything you as a local would suggest a 1st time FL visitor to see? 2 teenagers and one 5year.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I hope I can answer your questions well enough here!

1. Sunpass does save a lot of money on toll roads and since you're going to be driving all over the state, it might be a good idea to use one. Otherwise, they charge you by license plate and I'd assume that you'd have to pay the tolls when returning the car. Each toll can be 50 cents to $1 cheaper. I don't believe I've ever seen a rental car that included one. They may sell them in the airport, but I know you can purchase them at any Publix store too.

2. I'd suggest sticking with the big rental car chains such as Hertz, Enterprise, Alamo, National, etc. There will be no-names out there, but their policies could be a bit sketchy.

3. Those are all great places to take families. Disney is great for all ages and I'd recommend going to as many of the parks as you can. If you have more time in Orlando, check out Universal's parks as well. Your kids should enjoy the white sandy beaches of the West Coast when you're in Siesta Key. I personally like the West Coast's beaches better than the East Coast's. Definitely take an airboat ride while in the Everglades and make sure to put on tons of bug spray. I haven't been to Kennedy Space Center in over twenty years, but I'd imagine that could be entertaining. The only other place I'd maybe bring up is a trip to Sawgrass Mills if your teens like to shop. The place can be chaotic at times as it's always crowded and over a mile long.

Enjoy the Sunshine State as there's no shortage of things to do. Just remember, it's brutally hot down here in the summer, so wear lots of sunscreen and drink a lot of fluids.

TheWitcher

May 22, 2016
Hi all,

I'm coming over to Florida with the mrs and the kids for 3 weeks in June. I still have few open questions.

1. Sunpass

How does this work? I read somewhere that it is cheapers to buy the transponder than to rent it with the car. Or do rental cars have sunpass by default? If you recommend buying it, is there somethere in Miami International a place where you can buy it?

2. Car rental

Any rental companys one should avoid? Any rental companys suggested to use, as in good price and no BS?

3. Local recommendations

We're staying in Lantana but will be driving to the Keys, Kennedy space center, Disney World, Siesta Key in Sarasota, Everglades etc. Anything you as a local would suggest a 1st time FL visitor to see? 2 teenagers and one 5year.

I usually recommend Pompano Beach. It's an area with really nice beaches and restaurants. As a foreigner I also liked the condos (these) in the area, since they look amazing from outside, as well as inside, so they are probably also worth seeing. Otherwise there is a pretty active fishing scene there, if you are into that and the nightlife is also not bad. Might be interesting for the teens, if they like stuff like that.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Hi all,

1. Sunpass

You'd have to create an account with Sunpass (www.sunpass.com), buy a transponder (Publix, Walgreens etc). I think you can use cash to pay your tolls nowadays (instead of using credit card). I'm sure that rental car companies have an option to pay tolls (more expensive).
Another driving advice, when it's dark, don't use left lane of expressways (specially in Turnpike, service plazas in middle of lanes), you never know, you might have some oncoming traffic, some drunk driving in wrong lanes. It happens but luckily not so often.

JOL

missing teef

Jul 25, 2007
hello south florida! sharks fans here coming in for the game in november. we're staying in south beach with a car for 4 days and were hoping for some suggestions on what to do to gain appreciation for the local culture. we'd rather avoid the typical tourist traps and eat/drink/play where the locals do.

there's plenty of time for sitting on the beach, an everglade air boat tour, and biking up and down ocean drive. but what would your suggestions be to really see the local culture? we're not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, but dropping a few hundred on something well worth it is definitely in the budget.

thanks in advance for your hospitality!

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
hello south florida! sharks fans here coming in for the game in november. we're staying in south beach with a car for 4 days and were hoping for some suggestions on what to do to gain appreciation for the local culture. we'd rather avoid the typical tourist traps and eat/drink/play where the locals do.

there's plenty of time for sitting on the beach, an everglade air boat tour, and biking up and down ocean drive. but what would your suggestions be to really see the local culture? we're not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, but dropping a few hundred on something well worth it is definitely in the budget.

Check out Miami New Times for suggestions on spots to eat and events and nightlife. You may want to check out the Wynwood area which is not far from south beach near downtown.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Go to a Heat game also. Tickets should be cheap, since they wont be that good. Its a pretty nice building though.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
On my quest to hit all 30 arenas, I'm going to BB&T on Saturday for the COL vs FLA game. What should I see around the arena? Any statues, or trophy/banner walls outside or in the concourse? BB&T will be arena #28 out of 30.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
On my quest to hit all 30 arenas, I'm going to BB&T on Saturday for the COL vs FLA game. What should I see around the arena? Any statues, or trophy/banner walls outside or in the concourse? BB&T will be arena #28 out of 30.

The den of honor qualifies for that. It's on the lower level concourse around section 120. Full of old memorabilia and trophies for the team. Other than that the clubs are nice if you can manage to get in there. Club Lexus is pretty ridiculous but all inclusive so pretty expensive.

TheEkbombIsReal

Paaaaaanthers
Aug 19, 2011
Gothenburg
Hey guys!

Will be visiting Miami for 2 weeks and just wanted to check if anyone knows a good sports bar in South Beach to watch Panthers games?

Only got tickets for the Sharks game, but would love to see the other games from a good sports bar. Any recommendations?!

Thanks!

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Hey guys!

Will be visiting Miami for 2 weeks and just wanted to check if anyone knows a good sports bar in South Beach to watch Panthers games?

Only got tickets for the Sharks game, but would love to see the other games from a good sports bar. Any recommendations?!

Thanks!
South Beach sports bars? At least Yard House in Lenox Avenue (between Lincoln Road and 17th Street) has lots of tv screens, they might show Panthers' games.

JOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad