Speculation: Sound Tigers angling to move out of Bridgeport

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
If you hadn't heard, the ballpark next to the Sound Tigers' arena (from the Ducks' league) is being redeveloped into an amphitheater by former Sound Tigers exec Howard Saffan and LiveNation....

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Sound-Tigers-oppose-Ganim-s-amphitheater-11746123.php

"In a letter sent to City Hall Wednesday, Sound Tigers co-owner Jon Ledecky wrote that the change in uses at Harbor Yard — from baseball to entertainment — “will be a material breach†of the Tigers’ operating agreement with Bridgeport."

"“I therefore urge you to reconsider this course of action,†Ledecky wrote. “For if the city accepts the proposal, the Sound Tigers will be forced to exercise all of their rights under the operating agreement.â€"

======================

Perhaps the owners are looking to bring the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is a strange story. First time I've heard Ledecky take such a strong stance on something and to protect a minor league ballpark? I'm not seeing how a musical amphitheater would have an adverse effect on the Sound Tigers - Especially since all the concerts would happen during the summer (not hockey season).

Oh and I might add - Making an enemy of Live Nation would be a very bad move.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This is a strange story. First time I've heard Ledecky take such a strong stance on something and to protect a minor league ballpark? I'm not seeing how a musical amphitheater would have an adverse effect on the Sound Tigers - Especially since all the concerts would happen during the summer (not hockey season).

Oh and I might add - Making an enemy of Live Nation would be a very bad move.

Unless you want to bring the STs to your new arena and do similar to what SJ has done with both its NHL and AHL team playing at the same arena...

LN already works wth Oak View...

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
This is a strange story. First time I've heard Ledecky take such a strong stance on something and to protect a minor league ballpark?

That's what makes me think this is the team looking at it as a chance to break their lease and run. It feels like they saw a technicality and decided to hammer on it.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Unless you want to bring the STs to your new arena and do similar to what SJ has done with both its NHL and AHL team playing at the same arena...

I was thinking more along the lines of a deal that says let us stay in Barclays til our stuff is settled and we'll move the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's not even a minor league ball park, the Bluefish are in the Independent League.

And that stadium is a poorly maintained dump, and am embarrasment.

Source: I played there many times.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Anyway, it is odd.

Lots going on behind the scenes in Islanderland.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I can see it now:

Sound Tigers move to the Coliseum to help give Barclays group a bigger name tenant in their "new" building, and in return, Barclays elects to keep the Islanders in Brooklyn on terms that are very favorable to the Islanders (although perhaps not quite as lucrative as the ones they currently have). :laugh:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was thinking more along the lines of a deal that says let us stay in Barclays til our stuff is settled and we'll move the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum.

That part doesn't really make sense. Breaking away from being BSE tenants for the Islanders and having the Sound Tigers become NSE tenants at the Coliseum?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's not even a minor league ball park, the Bluefish are in the Independent League.

And that stadium is a poorly maintained dump, and am embarrasment.

Source: I played there many times.

Truth. I've been there a few times for Bluefish games over the years. The last time was last September. The place is most definitely suffering from a lack of care. Seems like the landlord just stopped taking care of the place.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
How many Concerts does the Webster Bank Arena do? I can understand how having an Amphitheater on the same grounds would drain revenue and cause confusion when a show is scheduled to play there for people who may get confused. It's like owning a pizza place and having your landlord allow another owner to put another pizza place right next door. If their contract prohibits the use of the Ballpark for such uses, Ledecky may prevail if it goes to Court.

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
Does ledecky own the arena or just the team? if he owns the arena i can understand not wanting a competing concert venue next door. if he only owns the team then who cares? an outdoor concert venue would not operate during hockey season.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Does ledecky own the arena or just the team? if he owns the arena i can understand not wanting a competing concert venue next door. if he only owns the team then who cares? an outdoor concert venue would not operate during hockey season.

Ledecky is a co-owner of Harbor Yards Sports and Entertainment, which manages the facility and books the events, while the city of Bridgeport owns the arena. Very similar to SMG's old agreement with Nassau County to run the Coliseum.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
As someone who worked for the Sound Tigers and has been to many games there, it would be in their best interest to leave. What a dump of a town. The arena is solid, but poorly managed.

I mean if they hired you I'd imagine it was poorly managed :laugh: ;)

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
Putting them In the NVMC is a really really dumb idea. The Isles probably want absolutely nothing to do with Barclays or the NVMC. Let them play with the Isles at Belmont or put them in another middlesized city.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Putting them In the NVMC is a really really dumb idea. The Isles probably want absolutely nothing to do with Barclays or the NVMC. Let them play with the Isles at Belmont or put them in another middlesized city.

The Sound Tigers won't be going to Nassau if Belmont happens. But if the Isles stay at Barclays, it's kind of the perfect arrangement.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
I cant see the Islanders staying at Barclay's unless at minimum the freezer coils are fixed.

The Barclays people where on Boomer and Carton a few months ago. They were open and willing to make changes to the coils to improve the ice conditions. Sound Tigers at Nassau would be great. Dolan can move the Rangers team to his Belmont Arena. Would make for a good minor league rivalry in Nassau county.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
With regards to the Soundtigers moving to NVMC... may not really matter what the status of the Isles and Barclays partnership is at.

If rumor of Porhkov(sp.) selling Barclays and/or the Nets... could very well mean that NVMC will no longer be under their auspices.

Just ruminating... I have no sources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad