Value of: Sorokin to New Jersey

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It’s beyond doubtful Lou would ever trade him to a division rival. No idea what it would take, but obviously this year’s 1st would have to be included.
well he is 81 years old. he could lose his mind at any moment

What would it take for Devils to land Sorokin?

I doubt Sorokin wants to stick around with Roy
ALOT but Im down to see it happen

10th overall + Daws ++?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hard to see Lou moving on from him after giving him that contract. My guess is NJ would ask for retention which is where it would break down. These long deals that cover UFA years with commensurate AAVs are very tough to move early on.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Islanders are going to remain in "win now" mode for the foreseeable future, so it's doubtful Lou would trade him for futures (or trade him at all).

What happened with Sorokin this season? Thought it was odd that Varlamov was starting in the playoffs, but saw that he finished the season strong and had better overall numbers for the year. Sorokin did not look good last night either. Is there friction with him and Roy?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know how the Isles could possibly justify trading him to a rival so close in proximity. Not much different than these teams trading their most valuable assets to the Rangers. Shouldn’t matter that Isles and Devils don’t have as much animosity. You can’t trade in division and down the road like that and escape it being more heightened than trading with other teams.

Reactions: HabsQC

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don’t know how the Isles could possibly justify trading him to a rival so close in proximity. Not much different than these teams trading their most valuable assets to the Rangers. Shouldn’t matter that Isles and Devils don’t have as much animosity. You can’t trade in division and down the road like that and escape it being more heightened than trading with other teams.

You go where you get the best deal

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You go where you get the best deal
Generally, yes, but trading a guy in division is tough to accept. You are potentially making the difference for a team you need to beat to make the playoffs and in the playoffs.

It also is very bad from a PR standpoint. Not that there’s a lot of media attention in this region compared to Canada, but you cannot escape how much of a bad storyline it’ll be. Much easier to have to deal with it twice a year if he’s playing in Seattle or somewhere like that.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Hard to see Lou moving on from him after giving him that contract. My guess is NJ would ask for retention which is where it would break down. These long deals that cover UFA years with commensurate AAVs are very tough to move early on.
I don't think NJ asks for retention. I think this deal is just a non-starter. Lou rarely deals with geographical rivals.

Personally, I don't see Lou trading Sorokin. Lou believes in building from the net out. Maybe Lou looks at Sorokin for Wallstedt, Cossa or something like that. But, I don't see Lou trading Sorokin without the Isles having some high end solution in goal.

Reactions: My3Sons

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
What would it take for Devils to land Sorokin?

I doubt Sorokin wants to stick around with Roy

Why wouldnt he want to stick with roy? Because he is not playing him? I'm huge Sorokin fan and was proud fantasy owner while he was still in Russia. Reality is he has had a bad year, has been outplayed by Varlamov significantly, did not bring to team to a playoff spot. I would assume that he understands the team is more important at the moment. He'll have the chance to regain his spot next year, and he is clearly not being traded (even less to a division rival).

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Generally, yes, but trading a guy in division is tough to accept. You are potentially making the difference for a team you need to beat to make the playoffs and in the playoffs.

It also is very bad from a PR standpoint. Not that there’s a lot of media attention in this region compared to Canada, but you cannot escape how much of a bad storyline it’ll be. Much easier to have to deal with it twice a year if he’s playing in Seattle or somewhere like that.

I mean I don't disagree it's not ideal.. but again I do best deal everytime. Jersey has more attractive pieces than Seattle

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why wouldnt he want to stick with roy? Because he is not playing him? I'm huge Sorokin fan and was proud fantasy owner while he was still in Russia. Reality is he has had a bad year, has been outplayed by Varlamov significantly, did not bring to team to a playoff spot. I would assume that he understands the team is more important at the moment. He'll have the chance to regain his spot next year, and he is clearly not being traded (even less to a division rival).

Could be the case. Or he could not like what has transpired.

Doesn't take much to set a goalie off and demand a trade.. just ask Roy 😆

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'd be very happy parting with the 10th overall for Sorokin without retention. He's worth that deal. I'd be fine including one of Daws/Schmid as well.

Lou has no interest in trading Sorokin I imagine however and his coach would have almost no influence on his decision making there I'd guess. Patrick Roy could be fired literally any day and I wouldn't be surprised, Lou wouldn't let him make that call.

Reactions: My3Sons

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What happened with Sorokin this season? Thought it was odd that Varlamov was starting in the playoffs, but saw that he finished the season strong and had better overall numbers for the year. Sorokin did not look good last night either. Is there friction with him and Roy?

Sorokin sort of had an "off year". He still seems amazing up close but it's like he needs contact lenses because alot of long shots from the point seem to go in.

zones.jpg

As for Varlamov. Roy went With Sorokin for the most part but when we lost 6 games and went from Wild Card spot 1 to 5th out of 5 teams, Roy decided to play the hot hand the final 10 games which was Varlamov. I guess stick with what is working.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sorokin sort of had an "off year". He still seems amazing up close but it's like he needs contact lenses because alot of long shots from the point seem to go in.

View attachment 859890

As for Varlamov. Roy went With Sorokin for the most part but when we lost 6 games and went from Wild Card spot 1 to 5th out of 5 teams, Roy decided to play the hot hand the final 10 games which was Varlamov. I guess stick with what is working.
Is that on the goalies or the system? Reason I ask is both Sorokin and Varlamov both had an average goal distance of 22 feet.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is that on the goalies or the system? Reason I ask is both Sorokin and Varlamov both had an average goal distance of 22 feet.

I would have never guessed that. It's honestly hard to compare because we comparing 1 goalie who played 55 games to one that played 28. All I know is even if you discount the screens or weird bounces it seems like Sorokin had a decent amount of point shots from around the area i circled where you think he should have had it, go in.

Just out of curiosity do you have the league average or maybe do some comparison with other goalies?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With Varly being 55+yo, I imagine the cost to a division rival would be pretty insane. I'd ask for Holtz+Mercer+their best goalie prospect. Stupid insane price but it is what it is.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the asking price for Saros was the 2024 1st + Mercer + Casey + +, then Sorokin, who's signed longterm would command even more, especially given the division tax.

Not that Lou is the type to throw in the towel anyway. And Fitz being an incompetent cheapskate means he'll never pay up for goaltending.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
With Varly being 55+yo, I imagine the cost to a division rival would be pretty insane. I'd ask for Holtz+Mercer+their best goalie prospect. Stupid insane price but it is what it is.
Yeah at 8x$8.25 with 4 @ NMC, last 4@MNMC takes him to 39, I'm not so sure i want in on that.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If the asking price for Saros was the 2024 1st + Mercer + Casey + +, then Sorokin, who's signed longterm would command even more, especially given the division tax.

Not that Lou is the type to throw in the towel anyway. And Fitz being an incompetent cheapskate means he'll never pay up for goaltending.
Where did you see that! I am not doubting you, but if thats the ask, Fitz would be nuts to pay it. I'd rather go back to working with Cgy on Markey, thats an insane ask that should not be made

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Where did you see that! I am not doubting you, but if thats the ask, Fitz would be nuts to pay it. I'd rather go back to working with Cgy on Markey, thats an insane ask that should not be made

I don't know how reliable that is but it does fall into line with what Fitz would later go on to say:

"There is a market. People performing have set that market. All I'm trying to do is be fair in that market, but you also need a team that wants to make fair deals, too, versus just extorting you for every big asset you have."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad