Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Just rumours but I've heard he will be getting a pro gig.
Went to Toronto on the weekend to watch Habs and leafs (ya I know I missed the last two games of the year ) but I did wear my hounds hat and wow I had about 8 different people come up to me to ask about them thought that was pretty cool. This one guy told me he was passing by the Soo so he stopped in to buy a hound jersey so he could put 99 on it so I told him the story of how he got that number he had no idea and he is a huge Gretzky Fan another guy was asking about Dubas just thought I would share a couple of cool stories with everybody and no that is the last of the road trips until playoffs are over hopefully not going anywhere until end of May

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Lets hope Bannister isnt gone next year.. regardless of playoff outcome. Would be nice to find a coach who wants to be here long term... pay him accordingly and continue to be an OHL power house. Hunter left London and came back.. Kilrea stayed in Ottawa forever.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Lets hope Bannister isnt gone next year.. regardless of playoff outcome. Would be nice to find a coach who wants to be here long term... pay him accordingly and continue to be an OHL power house. Hunter left London and came back.. Kilrea stayed in Ottawa forever.

The guy has had a home here since he was in his 20's so it's not like he doesn't want to be here. I can't blame him for taking a pro offer if it comes up.

Reactions: Old hound

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter never truly left London same way Mark Hunter & Basil McRae haven't "left the knight" they still have there hands in the cookie jar that's they kicker of being part of ownership

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Went to Toronto on the weekend to watch Habs and leafs (ya I know I missed the last two games of the year ) but I did wear my hounds hat and wow I had about 8 different people come up to me to ask about them thought that was pretty cool. This one guy told me he was passing by the Soo so he stopped in to buy a hound jersey so he could put 99 on it so I told him the story of how he got that number he had no idea and he is a huge Gretzky Fan another guy was asking about Dubas just thought I would share a couple of cool stories with everybody and no that is the last of the road trips until playoffs are over hopefully not going anywhere until end of May

Thanks for sharing. Love the fan interactions. Soo is definitely on the hockey map again.

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
As we’ve been told multiple times, the many accomplishments of the Soo Greyhounds apparently mean nothing come play-off time. Nevertheless, I am confident everything the team has done this year will serve as the base upon which a long play-off run is going to be built.

The Greyhounds will not meet the same fate as the 2014-15 edition of the team. Why? Well, as great as we thought that team was – it amassed 110 points after all - the competition that year clearly was also very good. Oshawa finished with 108 points while Erie wound up with 104 points. Erie of course had Connor McDavid and he made a difference in our early play-off exit.

This time around, the Hounds earned a franchise record 116 points. And the comforting thing about that stat is that there is nobody close to us. Sarnia finished a whopping 19 points behind. Hamilton – the best team in the Eastern Conference – finished 23 points behind. I stand to be corrected, but one has to go all the way back to the 2004-5 edition of the London Knights to find a team that finished so far in front (they ended up with an amazing 30 more points than the second place finisher that year). To be sure, London lost a pair of games that play-off season and I expect the Hounds to lose a few more than that, but success should be ours.

I have liked the quotes I have read from a number of Hounds’ players in the local media – they “get it” that a whole new compete level is now required. And keep in mind success has not always come easy for the team – they know more than a little bit about overcoming adversity. When all is said and done, however, I believe our superior offensive and defensive abilities and our astonishing record at home will help pave the road to Regina.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
As we’ve been told multiple times, the many accomplishments of the Soo Greyhounds apparently mean nothing come play-off time. Nevertheless, I am confident everything the team has done this year will serve as the base upon which a long play-off run is going to be built.

The Greyhounds will not meet the same fate as the 2014-15 edition of the team. Why? Well, as great as we thought that team was – it amassed 110 points after all - the competition that year clearly was also very good. Oshawa finished with 108 points while Erie wound up with 104 points. Erie of course had Connor McDavid and he made a difference in our early play-off exit.

This time around, the Hounds earned a franchise record 116 points. And the comforting thing about that stat is that there is nobody close to us. Sarnia finished a whopping 19 points behind. Hamilton – the best team in the Eastern Conference – finished 23 points behind. I stand to be corrected, but one has to go all the way back to the 2004-5 edition of the London Knights to find a team that finished so far in front (they ended up with an amazing 30 more points than the second place finisher that year). To be sure, London lost a pair of games that play-off season and I expect the Hounds to lose a few more than that, but success should be ours.

I have liked the quotes I have read from a number of Hounds’ players in the local media – they “get it” that a whole new compete level is now required. And keep in mind success has not always come easy for the team – they know more than a little bit about overcoming adversity. When all is said and done, however, I believe our superior offensive and defensive abilities and our astonishing record at home will help pave the road to Regina.

You could argue that getting 110 points in a much deeper and imo better league in 2014-15 is more impressive than 116 points this year in a down year for top tier depth in the league.

Just an outside fan perspective -
The thing that will benefit Soo the most is there might not be another top team capable of making a run. Sarnia probably is the best built but I personally never have been a fan of their franchise discipline and structure. I think some fans ignore the playoff style. It is indeed different. Having veterans who have been there helps. Having 2 way forwards and strong center play helps. Because time of possession and team defense is magnified more so than run and gun style. Erie finally figured that out last year and it was needed vs London in particular but also vs Owen Sound. Ssm is very fortunate that London sold off because they are one of those teams that understands the playoffs, have the coaching and mentality to know it’s a different game and prepare for their different series based on what they need to do. Don’t take sarnia lightly because if they play structured and focused, they are very capable with talent to win a title. There is also the coaching factor. I personally don’t trust Kitchener and Sarnia to change much of what they do (which you have to in the playoffs) in order to win a big time series. So another benefit for SSM. This SSM team is very good but at least from my perspective aren’t London 2004-05 good. I don’t even know about those Windsor teams. I think they have strongly benefited from a pretty weak league this year. Trust me, they are still an elite team but they are still capable of being vulnerable.

Good luck. Should be a fun ride

Reactions: soo hound girl

HoundFan

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Looking forward to game one tonight. Expect big things from the Hounds this playoff series. Forget about the regular season boys, go out and play Hound Hockey! Leaders need to lead, role players need to play their role and our goalie needs to be at his best.

Lets get this thing started. GO HOUNDS!

Reactions: thetank247

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Looking forward to game one tonight. Expect big things from the Hounds this playoff series. Forget about the regular season boys, go out and play Hound Hockey! Leaders need to lead, role players need to play their role and our goalie needs to be at his best.

Lets get this thing started. GO HOUNDS!

louis

Apr 3, 2014
And us fans have to do our best to help. Even the quiet ones could wear red. I'm kind of quiet so I am wearing red and bringing my bell.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Hope everyone gets their red on for tonight! Looking forward to it. Also I can’t go to the game on Sunday. I put the tickets on Kijiji in case anyone knows someone who needs them. Selling for less, family from out of town can’t go now.

HoundFan

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Found this on SportsNet.

"14. Pat Verbeek’s nephew, Hayden, is closing in on signing with an NHL team. An undrafted free agent at OHL Sault Ste. Marie, Verbeek scored 30 goals this season — only one of which came on the power play. (Four were shorthanded.) He’s not a big man, but if he’s got the same DNA as his uncle, he’ll give it a good shot."

31 Thoughts: Will the Calgary Flames trade for a first-round pick? - Sportsnet.ca

If it pans out, great for Beeker.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
My son met him last year and Hayden was so nice to him. Nice to see something good happen to someone who works as hard as he does! Best of luck to him, a classy young man.

Reactions: Houndzfan

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
too bad middleton and coskey didn't spent some of that "chirp" energy they had on playing hockey. they might not be so terrible.

Reactions: Radar9

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Middleton is a joke of a player, spends more time acting like a dummy then playing hockey

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Actually, having been born on February 10, 1998, Mr. Middleton is no longer a teenager. Coskey still is however (date of birth June 1, 1999). Anyway, they are hockey players - I suspect this is nothing they haven't heard before!

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Were the Hounds a bit nervous to start this game? Or the Spirit really played well to start the game. I was a bit concerned after the 1st period, but know that good teams will find a way to win. And that happened. Credit to Saginaw for keeping up as long as they did. Hounds just better than they were tonight.

As for Middleton.....i like his play. He defends his goalie. Maybe just a little too aggressive. And maybe getting under our forwards skin. But he seems to be the guy you love to hate, but would love to see him on your team. He probably wouldn't fit in with this years Hounds team, but he is somewhat entertaining to watch. And eats up alot of minutes. Can see the chippy stuff increase by the time we play games 3 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad