Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Yup and lost the mem cup to a team that didn't even win a playoff round but what ever makes you feel warm and cuddly.
Most hockey people can separate a reg season best record, a 2 month long battle for a league's best ect..... Over an auto invite cause you are the only one offering to host, get on a 4 game streak against 1 good team and 2 of the softest reps from the W n Q in years. (OHL had 6 teams better than those who showed up from the Q n W)
Erie > Windsor last year in every measurable 'cept a 1 week tourney.
Wins, POs, NHL players.........

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
i agree with arseknight.

a mem cup should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. ;)

Its a tough tourney to get to, no doubt!

To diminish any squads accomplishments by walking thru the front door is soft. Esp when the champ finished middle of conf, lost 1st rd and had 2 months of prep time vs 1 solid club and 2 soft entries.

Reactions: zman77

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Totally agree. LK player was the one who initiated. And in no way should ot be an issue tsn.
In fact the "20 yr old" actually held off until no choice. Good on both players.

Agreed Ares - I’m sure Gettinger really had no interest in getting into a potential injury or suspension situation in a nothing game for them.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Its a tough tourney to get to, no doubt!

To diminish any squads accomplishments by walking thru the front door is soft. Esp when the champ finished middle of conf, lost 1st rd and had 2 months of prep time vs 1 solid club and 2 soft entries.

Tough tourney to get to no doubt, the amount of money a team has to spend to get hosting rights is unfathomable to some teams; Windsor basically bought their Memorial Cup win last year, they didn't earn it at all

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Tough tourney to get to no doubt, the amount of money a team has to spend to get hosting rights is unfathomable to some teams; Windsor basically bought their Memorial Cup win last year, they didn't earn it at all
Maybe you guys should support your team more financially then because recent history doesn't put your chances of "earning" your way to the tournament very good. Regular season champions and Robertson Cup champions are two different demons and SSM seems to find a way not to win the latter.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Maybe you guys should support your team more financially then because recent history doesn't put your chances of "earning" your way to the tournament very good. Regular season champions and Robertson Cup champions are two different demons and SSM seems to find a way not to win the latter.
Because buying a Memorial Cup is so gratifying....even this year Regina has is no way earned the right to host the tournament given their lackluster play in the regular season

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Erie had 2 chances to beat Windsor in the Memorial Cup last year - they did not beat Windsor, Windsor won both. Windsor was the better team at this tournament. How they got there will be a life long debate for all fans. It is also funny how other team fans have no issue with other centers hosting and coming in the so called back door. This is more a hate for Windsor than an issue on how teams get in. Both London and Windsor seem to be judged by different "standards" by fans in this league. At least we get noticed.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Erie had 2 chances to beat Windsor in the Memorial Cup last year - they did not beat Windsor, Windsor won both. Windsor was the better team at this tournament. How they got there will be a life long debate for all fans. It is also funny how other team fans have no issue with other centers hosting and coming in the so called back door. This is more a hate for Windsor than an issue on how teams get in. Both London and Windsor seem to be judged by different "standards" by fans in this league. At least we get noticed.
I have zero issue chirping other teams as I commented on Regina's situation (we'll see how they do in the playoffs though), it's just Windsor's situation is the most recent and probably because they were ousted in Round 1....Hamilton's situation will always be remembered as one of the worst/comical situations of being a host and not even getting into the tournament due to their poor reg. season record

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Nelli: The 93 comment was funny.
Count: You are 100% right, it always best to say little or nothing, especially at this time of year.
Regarding the Gettinger/Perrott fight, it was clear that 26 tried everything to avoid the situation. With every punch landed I was thinking he would break his hand on Perrott's head / face. The were Soo very very lucky. Verbeek's line without him in playoffs would be all the talk today.
I am surprised that there is no discussion regarding Evan Bouchard. In my opinion the Bouchard incident should be reviewed by the league and he should be gone for a minimum of 5 games. That was clearly an intent to injure. There is no room in the game for that kind of behavior.

Reactions: Chopchop

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Windsor bought a mem cup for sure.

After being caught CHEATING in 2012 they forfeited some first rounders and in no way were ready to compete for a championship yet.

Sure they won the tourney, but lets not overstate that accomplishment considering they had a 2 month vacation to rest and get healthy while the other teams were EARNING their place.

Reactions: SSMHoundsFan

Chopchop

Oct 15, 2017
Nelli: The 93 comment was funny.
Count: You are 100% right, it always best to say little or nothing, especially at this time of year.
Regarding the Gettinger/Perrott fight, it was clear that 26 tried everything to avoid the situation. With every punch landed I was thinking he would break his hand on Perrott's head / face. The were Soo very very lucky. Verbeek's line without him in playoffs would be all the talk today.
I am surprised that there is no discussion regarding Evan Bouchard. In my opinion the Bouchard incident should be reviewed by the league and he should be gone for a minimum of 5 games. That was clearly an intent to injure. There is no room in the game for that kind of behavior.
All year long a hit to the head was 5 and a game. A double minor for intent to injure should be reviewed.

tsn

Jan 15, 2018
Windsor bought a mem cup for sure.

After being caught CHEATING in 2012 they forfeited some first rounders and in no way were ready to compete for a championship yet.

Sure they won the tourney, but lets not overstate that accomplishment considering they had a 2 month vacation to rest and get healthy while the other teams were EARNING their place.

OMG ..you are nauseating

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

All Kidding Aside: imho:
Soo Grey-Hounds are the #1 Team in the CHL.
Soo Grey-Hounds will win the OHL Championship!!
Soo Grey-Hounds will win the 2018 Memorial Cup!!
Fast-Skilled-Tough Team that is too deep for any team in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 93MemCup and LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad