Seravalli: Sonny Milano not given a QO by Ducks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Steel becoming a UFA is more of an eyebrow raiser IMO.

He really hasn't figured out a way to carve out any role for himself. Still young enough to maybe figure it out, but he doesn't really have any standout physical tools to dream on either. Pretty smart player but doesn't assert himself enough to make much impact in any facet to this point. Hope a change of scenery does him well.

It's really only surprising because he would have been so cheap and didn't have arb rights, but surely they offered him around for trades before it came to this, and must not have been offered any value. At the end of the day, many of us were assuming Steel and Milano could be shoved into cap dump trades as cheap roster filler in exchange for more expensive pieces plus incentives. No different than giving them away essentially.

No team in the league really offered more of a wide open opportunity to become a player the past couple years. Now the Ducks due to the cap situation pretty much half to spend more on these roster spots than they would want to give these two players.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That's a bit shocking to me given how much cap space the Ducks have.

This is a no-brainer for a team like Toronto or Colorado who might want a cheapish middle-six player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He will find a job very easily, especially in the current cap climate.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How are the Ducks going to reach the floor again?

Steel and Milano weren't exactly going to take a big bite out of that, and now their roster spots can be used for more expensive players. They have enough cheap young players around, they need to spend some real money on some proven vets that can help support the kids.

Really good podcast series to follow but episode one was about Steel and what he'd need to do in order to breakout in the NHL.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Less than a week after James Caan passed away

72ZD.gif

"Look how they massacred my boy"

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not really. He hasn't improved much at all in the last three years. This year was basically put up or shut up for Terry and Steel. One of them did. One of them didn't. Another case study in how junior dominance doesn't always translate to the NHL. But Steel was a late first rounder anyway so it's no massive loss to the Ducks. Now guys like Perreault and Tracey will eventually get their shot.
I think someone gives Steel a chance. I hope he flourishes. I'm just glad he isn't in Anaheim anymore. I feel like he scored half of his goals against Edmonton.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think someone gives Steel a chance. I hope he flourishes. I'm just glad he isn't in Anaheim anymore. I feel like he scored half of his goals against Edmonton.

Well that would have been three per season, because he somehow managed to score exactly six goals in each of his four seasons (of various lengths) for the Ducks.

Reactions: bsu

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
or maybe he had a hot start (like the rest of the Ducks) and then reverted back to the crappy player he's always been

For what he brings offensively, it is not worth it with how bad he is defensively. This was the right decision, imo.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in Colorado.

Played for Columbus (MacFarland connection), played for the 2016 Lake Erie Monsters team that Bednar coached and the Avalanche keep signing players from (just signed Lukas Sedlak, for crying out loud).

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Paraphrasing, the Ducks coaches did care for Milano. Said he was "uncoachable".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad