OT: Something you hate about sports leagues? (NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, CFL)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Teams with the best records should make the playoffs, its as simple as that. The fact that someone can be out of a playoff position despite having more points than another team in the same conference due to divisional standings is lame.

You can look at it as both teams getting a point for a tie, but the reality is a gimmick results in another team getting an additional point. If they make it longer OT or multiple OT, that's one thing, but to have a shoot out decide anything is so unprofessional. Can you imagine if a three point contest decided an NBA game?
That's why you penalize both teams for not winning in regulation or overtime. The goal is to win 5 on 5 or 3 on 3. If you can't do it both teams are losers and go to the shoot out for 1 point. If both teams get a point for a tie then a goalie should get a shut out for not letting in a goal but still loses in the shoot out? The goal should be to make the game entertaining from beginning to end. If it's tied with 4 minutes left and both teams need points why would they risk losing a point and just both wait for over time. If teams know they will get nothing if they don't win the only result would be to try to win.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
NHL:

I hate the cap circumvention that's still allowed (3-team trades to eat more cap, all-bonus contracts like JT's)

I hate the offside review (drop it and let the refs do the job)

I hate the trapezoid (drop it)

Let the refs review goals whenever they choose to, but drop the coach's challenge entirely.

I hate the new draft lottery rules (draw them all with weighted odds).

I wish embellishment was reviewable by the league after the game and could result in a 1-game suspension.

I wish they would shrink the goalie pads a bit more.

Switch to an after-tax cap, instead of a gross cap.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That's why you penalize both teams for not winning in regulation or overtime. The goal is to win 5 on 5 or 3 on 3. If you can't do it both teams are losers and go to the shoot out for 1 point. If both teams get a point for a tie then a goalie should get a shut out for not letting in a goal but still loses in the shoot out? The goal should be to make the game entertaining from beginning to end. If it's tied with 4 minutes left and both teams need points why would they risk losing a point and just both wait for over time. If teams know they will get nothing if they don't win the only result would be to try to win.
I've always thought the rule should be 2 points for a win in either regulation or overtime, and 1 point for a win in the shootout. No loser points.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I've always thought the rule should be 2 points for a win in either regulation or overtime, and 1 point for a win in the shootout. No loser points.
You have to keep players wanting the win. I hate the "at least they got a point" or "they've got points in 8 straight games". No other league gives points so its hard to compare but all other leagues don't reward anything less than a win.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Also in the NBA I wish they would call more offensive fouls on players jumping into the defenders. They call in more in recent years. Too many ticky tack fouls too.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
MLB

-Too many games
-Strike Zones should not be up to ump
-intentional walks
-Bring back the Expos
-Overpaid
-No day games

NHL

-Draft Lottery
-Offsides
-Refs
-Penalties should be reviewable
-Arizona
-UFA's don't like Ottawa
-Raise UFA age to 29

NFL
- Overpaid
-Cost of going to a game
- Free Agency should not start till after the draft
-Overtime rules
-Cancel kickoffs and just put the ball on the 20
-Pass Interference calls need to be able to be reviewed and challenged.
- Play Superbowl in each city no matter if is indoors or not.
-Change the Probowl to a skills comp
-Spread games out.more so they are not all bunched up on same days and times

NBA

-Overpaid
-Too many fouls

CFL

-Merge with NFL or XFL
-Underpaid
-College football is more exciting

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Teams with the best records should make the playoffs, its as simple as that. The fact that someone can be out of a playoff position despite having more points than another team in the same conference due to divisional standings is lame.

You can look at it as both teams getting a point for a tie, but the reality is a gimmick results in another team getting an additional point. If they make it longer OT or multiple OT, that's one thing, but to have a shoot out decide anything is so unprofessional. Can you imagine if a three point contest decided an NBA game?

Teams in different divisions play different schedules. Unless you do away with divisions it makes no sense to seed teams by conference for the playoffs. We want more Battles of Ontario, Battles of Alberta, Rangers-Islanders, Penguins-Flyers, etc. We don't want more Boston-Carolina or Florida-Washington. Those are more important than some team having 4 more points than another team and not getting in.

If you don't give a point for winning the gimmick, what is the point of the gimmick? I'm fine with going back to ties. They make more sense than shootouts.

Assen na yo!

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Teams in different divisions play different schedules. Unless you do away with divisions it makes no sense to seed teams by conference for the playoffs. We want more Battles of Ontario, Battles of Alberta, Rangers-Islanders, Penguins-Flyers, etc. We don't want more Boston-Carolina or Florida-Washington. Those are more important than some team having 4 more points than another team and not getting in.

If you don't give a point for winning the gimmick, what is the point of the gimmick? I'm fine with going back to ties. They make more sense than shootouts.

Assen na yo!
I think we agree on ties. As much as I thought I liked winners no matter the cost, the SO is annoying more and more.

Divisions should only be for scheduling. In regards to more rivalries, Battle of Ontario happened organically by chance, same with the meetings between the Pens and Flyers post 2nd lockout. Its still possible to have good rivalries between franchises without a forced system. The whole point of seeding 1-8, it maintains the integrity of the sport imo.

Reactions: Yak

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NHL - the refs are ruining the game, let them play & if they want to fight, let them. Completely unfair to only take one guy from a scrum, take one from each side or none at all. It was better when we didn't notice the refs.
NBA - hate it when the players clear out so their best player can go one one one, it's a team game let everyone compete & sometimes an unlikely hero emerges. I prefer the NCAA March Madness.
MLB - bring back the Expos, don't trust the umps. My roids guy is better than your roids guy.
NFL - way too glitzy & commercialized
CFL - awskee weewee askee wawaa come on Tigers eat em raw ... wait I like that.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
NHL - the refs are ruining the game, let them play & if they want to fight, let them. Completely unfair to only take one guy from a scrum, take one from each side or none at all. It was better when we didn't notice the refs.
NBA - hate it when the players clear out so their best player can go one one one, it's a team game let everyone compete & sometimes an unlikely hero emerges. I prefer the NCAA March Madness.
MLB - bring back the Expos, don't trust the umps. My roids guy is better than your roids guy.
NFL - way too glitzy & commercialized
CFL - awskee weewee askee wawaa come on Tigers eat em raw ... wait I like that.
its not like that in the nba anymore since they allow zone defense. the paint gets clogged up with players guarding a spot and not a player worse change they ever made to he rules

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
its not like that in the nba anymore since they allow zone defense. the paint gets clogged up with players guarding a spot and not a player worse change they ever made to he rules
You're right, I forgot they made zone defence legal, it never used to be like that. I prefer the March Madness Tournament when it comes to basketball, lots of upsets every yr & some cinderella teams.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You're right, I forgot they made zone defence legal, it never used to be like that. I prefer the March Madness Tournament when it comes to basketball, lots of upsets every yr & some cinderella teams.
Zone Defence makes the game terrible. You don't get as many back door cuts, alley oops, people cheating on D that opens up lanes. This is why so many teams shoot 3's now because. March madness is great because you got kids listening to coaches, working their asses off, and running plays. In the NBA you have teams like the Golden State Warriors who although shoot a lot of 3's play basketball the right way. If they got rid of Zone Defence I think they would dominate even more because Steve Kerr is a great coach.

Reactions: aragorn

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I hate the virtue signalers which keep saying that the NHL is behind all the other major sports leagues when it comes to inclusion, and getting rid of the 'old boys club" when the same culture is evident in every other pro league. The NHL isn't behind the other leagues, they are all in the same crap pot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hate the virtue signalers which keep saying that the NHL is behind all the other major sports leagues when it comes to inclusion, and getting rid of the 'old boys club" when the same culture is evident in every other pro league. The NHL isn't behind the other leagues, they are all in the same crap pot.
Agree, every team should & probaly do hire the best people & it makes sense that they would hire people from their own sport who either played the game at the highest level or have the contacts & business savy to be on the business side. We are starting to see more women around the NHL & if they do well they will get more opportunities. This is kinda new for everyone & IMO the NHL is neither further behind or ahead, they are doing whatever they can to keep up with social changes. It shouldn't be a race.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
NBA: Contract length. With option years always at the end, the longest possible contract is basically 4 years with that player option that usually gets declined unless they're not worth their pay anymore and insist on collecting the last year of salary.

It's a joke imo. Every team is in flux every year and from a fan perspective there's way too much movement around the league. Affects the connection to the players imo and I find it kills my connection to any one team.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NBA: Contract length. With option years always at the end, the longest possible contract is basically 4 years with that player option that usually gets declined unless they're not worth their pay anymore and insist on collecting the last year of salary.

It's a joke imo. Every team is in flux every year and from a fan perspective there's way too much movement around the league. Affects the connection to the players imo and I find it kills my connection to any one team.
And players will collude to create a team that can challenge for a championship.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I remember that Pride hit, and him talking about how he couldn’t hear the crowd cheering but could feel the vibration in his chest.

Most memorable events for me: 1) I was at Charlie Lea’s no hitter and 2) I was at a home series against the Braves in that 94 season…. Which the Expos won and opened up a pretty commanding lead. All three games were effectively sold out and the place was rocking.

The 94 strike really ticked me off. I’ve never been to another MLB game since.
I was also at a late July or early August 4 gamer against the Braves... amazing. We were in right field and Dave Justice was less than pleased with our group of hecklers..

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And players will collude to create a team that can challenge for a championship.
Good point, and the short term contracts just make it so much easier for them.

It kind of cracks me up that in the NBA they parrot around a 3 year deal with a 4th year option as a long term deal and the franchise is set up and yet if it were the NHL and say the Senators we'd already be worrying about what's going to happen with this soon to expire contract.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good point, and the short term contracts just make it so much easier for them.

It kind of cracks me up that in the NBA they parrot around a 3 year deal with a 4th year option as a long term deal and the franchise is set up and yet if it were the NHL and say the Senators we'd already be worrying about what's going to happen with this soon to expire contract.
It would be great if the Tkachuk brothers colluded together & brought all their great hockey buddies to sign with Ottawa to create a dynasty for a few yrs. :laugh:

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Virtue signalers don't care about sports. They care about themselves.

Reactions: Masked

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
NHL: I also dont like the current playoff format
MLB: maybe too many games
NBA: I find their league to be a joke full of stars looking for the next super team to jump on for easy championships. feels like its closer to an individual sport than a team sport. one guy can almost win you a championship if hes good enough
NFL: I suck at fantasy
CFL: 3 downs is stupid

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
NHL: I wish they would tell us exactly what time the game was going to start at. I don't want a 7PM listing if the game isn't going to start until sometime between 7:08-7:30 depending on ceremonies or whatever. Be more clear about start times so people can choose whether they want to watch all the stuff that happens before puck drop or just tune in for the opening faceoff.

PFT1nfp-wj6NqWqKVfr7IA6EfRo=.gif

I think every Oilers playoff game I've watched the puck dropped 20 min after the advertised start time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad