MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
The Messenger said:
Was 2nd in scoring in the RSL last year ??

Will he be a UFA in a week if unsigned and is he confined to the ELS system when signed by someone else ??
Do you ask me or what ? :D

Well, in my opinion , if team, f.e. Ottawa, cannot sign prospect, f.e. Kaygorodov ;), there are no reasons to consider him as Ottawa property. It breaks Alex's NHL future and there's no income for Ottawa :dunno: Allow him to sign with another NHL team : Columbus or Pittsburgh or Caps or Bruins and etc. He can't sign for more than rookie cap and there are no reasons for him to avoid contract with Ottawa. If Ottawa can sign him - Ok, I don't mind.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
is that for purposes of the salary cap the average salary of all remaining years on an existing contract is applied for each year of the deal. That means captain Mats Sundin, with three years remaining on his contract at $6.8 million (all figures U.S.), $7.6 million and $4.6 million, will be assigned a salary for the next three seasons of $6.3 million

this sucks being an islanders fan, yashin's contract was structured in a way that he gets the bulk of it during the mid seasons but it tapers off near the end. If you average it out over the remaining 6 years, the islanders will have to pay him the maximium amount each year(ie 20% of the whatever that cap value is) as opposed to him getting the maximium for three years then it slowly declining

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
speeds said:
finally found out what happens with RFA offer sheet compensation:

Max compensation is now 4 firsts for 5+ mil players.

Will this change the frequency with which RFA offer sheets are given out?

So what happens if it's under 5 million? No compensation? Seems kind of high though, unless we are talking about a major star here, no team is going to qualify someone for 5+ million. I would think most of the RFA's out there with the exception of a couple would be under that 5 million dollar range.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
One thing i'v just started wondering about, is what happens when there is a cash transaction between teams in a trade (i.e. Lindros trade, Kovalev to NYR, etc). Say team X trades some crappy prospects and 5 million dollars to team Y for a good player who they can't afford to pay. Does the 5 Mil count againts anyones cap, or no?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
MojoJojo said:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1121809815538&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

To prevent teams loading up for bear going into the playoffs.

Still, if a team leaves itself roughly 1.3 mil in cap space by the trade deadline they can get a 5.2 milion dollar player and stay under both the 39 mil regular season cap and the 43 mil off season cap.
True ..

But the player if its a roster player that you trade the other way is also deducted from the Cap space available and increased ..

This allow for lots of options .. Trading a soon to be UFA .. Trading an injured player .. along with a pick /prospect to unload additional salary etc ..

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
shakes said:
So what happens if it's under 5 million? No compensation? Seems kind of high though, unless we are talking about a major star here, no team is going to qualify someone for 5+ million. I would think most of the RFA's out there with the exception of a couple would be under that 5 million dollar range.

It'll likely be on the same sliding scale as before.

As an example (this will be as inaccurate as it gets, I'm sure)

3rd rounder 450-600K
2nd rounder 600K-1.0mil
1st rounder 1.0-1.3 mil
1st + 2nd 1.3-1.6 mil
2 1sts 2-2.7 mil
2 1sts + 2nd 2.7-3.6 mil
3 1sts 3.6-4.4 mil
3 1sts + 2nd 4.4-5 mil
4 1sts 5+ mil

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
bcrt2000 said:
sounds like using the average salary over the length of a contract is only for existing contracts, not new ones

It better be or this is a horrible loophole.

You want to sign a guy to a 3 yr / $10M deal. If you structure it $7.8M (cap max) / $1.1M / $1.1M, the cap values are:

Year 1: Salary $7.8M, Cap hit: $10M/3 = $3.33M
Year 2: Salary $1.1M, Cap hit: $ 2.2M/2 = $1.1M
Year 3: Salary $1.1M, Cap hit: $ 1.1M/1 = $1.1M

You get $10M worth of player contract for a cap cost of only $5.53M.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
kdb209 said:
It better be or this is a horrible loophole.

You want to sign a guy to a 3 yr / $10M deal. If you structure it $7.8M (cap max) / $1.1M / $1.1M, the cap values are:

Year 1: Salary $7.8M, Cap hit: $10M/3 = $3.33M
Year 2: Salary $1.1M, Cap hit: $ 2.2M/2 = $1.1M
Year 3: Salary $1.1M, Cap hit: $ 1.1M/1 = $1.1M

You get $10M worth of player contract for a cap cost of only $5.53M.

No, it would be 3.33 per season. The paragraph didn't re-calculate Sedin's contract each year as the remaining time diminished.

If it was like this going forward, they would take the average at the time of the signing, not re-calculated each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad