Some details expected in NHL deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Haven't seen this article posted yet, so:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/07/13/1130172-cp.html

Pretty close to what has been discussed here.

To summarize:

- 24% rollback

- Salary Cap/Floor $39M/$21.5M based on projected $1.7B revenues.

- 54% linkage w/ escrow.

- Individual player salary cap at 20% of team cap.

- UFA Age stays at 31 and drops to 27 in 2008.

- As of 2007-08 (which offseason isn't clear), a player with 7 years service can become a UFA. Lockout season counts as a year of service.

-Revenue-sharing from top 10 clubs to bottom 15.

- ELS $850K

- Two-way salary arbitration.

- 10 day window for 2/3 buyouts to not count against cap.

- No restructuring of existing contracts to get under cap.

- Olympic participation.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
kdb209 said:
Haven't seen this article posted yet, so:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/07/13/1130172-cp.html

Pretty close to what has been discussed here.

To summarize:

- 24% rollback

- Salary Cap/Floor $39M/$21.5M based on projected $1.7B revenues.

- 54% linkage w/ escrow.

- Individual player salary cap at 20% of team cap.

- UFA Age stays at 31 and drops to 27 in 2008.

- As of 2007-08 (which offseason isn't clear), a player with 7 years service can become a UFA. Lockout season counts as a year of service.

-Revenue-sharing from top 10 clubs to bottom 15.

- ELS $850K

- Two-way salary arbitration.

- 10 day window for 2/3 buyouts to not count against cap.

- No restructuring of existing contracts to get under cap.

- Olympic participation.

Add in "no All-Star-Game" this year. I wonder if they will do one in 2010 or if its just left out every 4th year for the olympics.

Anyone hear something about the 20 Team Playoffs? It was brought up a couple of months ago and got some new wind 1 or 2 days ago. So whats the latest on it?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
helicecopter said:
There seems to be some confusion about this, ESPN reports that it's 20% of team payroll.. i really hope this is right and ESPN wrong!

I really think that ESPN is wrong on this. I mean, look at right now for instance...you have teams that might only have 10 million of salaries currently on the books. Does that mean for this year that they can only fill out their roster with players that make no more than 2 million/yr?

IMO it has to be based on a hard number.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
One more thing...

$450,000 minimum salary.

why not let us make it like this, if any new info pops up post it with the previous detail with it, so we kinda get some sort of the new CBA posted here with the latest post in the thread.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Digger12 said:
I really think that ESPN is wrong on this. I mean, look at right now for instance...you have teams that might only have 10 million of salaries currently on the books. Does that mean for this year that they can only fill out their roster with players that make no more than 2 million/yr?

IMO it has to be based on a hard number.

Parts of the deal just make no sense at all - no restructuring to get under the cap, you have to buy the player out completely or live with the deal? Just 10 days to make buyouts? A salary cap that varies from team to team?

Wait....Gary Bettman is still the commissioner? Then it makes "perfect sense".

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
I've Seen Revenue Sharing Reported as Top Ten to Lower Ten. The Top Ten to Lower 15 in this report is unique.

I'd Like to hear what sort of Dollars we are talking about. As Far as how much support the Lower teams are each getting.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Irish Blues said:
Parts of the deal just make no sense at all - no restructuring to get under the cap, you have to buy the player out completely or live with the deal? Just 10 days to make buyouts? A salary cap that varies from team to team?

Wait....Gary Bettman is still the commissioner? Then it makes "perfect sense".
The reason there is no restructuring is to further the idea of guaranteed contracts. The cap does not vary from team to team, there is a range into which all the teams must fall.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Schlep Rock said:
Add in 7 round draft instead of 9
This is more interesting than people might immediately realise. The quality and volume of free agents coming out of the CHL and NCAA should increase, and we may see more slightly older Euros being drafted after being passed over in their first draft year.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
I love the fact that there is NO LUXURY TAX for the high spenders. GG has always maintained the HABS can spend in the high 30s and make money. Now they dont have to worry about splurging for taxes and can go ahead and spend up to the league limit.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
AH said:
I love the fact that there is NO LUXURY TAX for the high spenders. GG has always maintained the HABS can spend in the high 30s and make money. Now they dont have to worry about splurging for taxes and can go ahead and spend up to the league limit.

No Luxury Tax - Yes. But that doesn't mean no revenue sharing. There will be some sort of revenue tax on the top 10 income teams (and the Habs are #8 according to Forbes) that will go to the bottom 10 (or 15) teams.

So, Luxury Tax or not, the Habs may still shell out a good chunk of money.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
kdb209 said:
No Luxury Tax - Yes. But that doesn't mean no revenue sharing. There will be some sort of revenue tax on the top 10 income teams (and the Habs are #8 according to Forbes) that will go to the bottom 10 (or 15) teams.

Maybe the Habs can get a property tax rebate on the Bell Centre or something.

:shakehead

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
kdb209 said:

I hope it's more like profit sharing than revenue sharing. If it's not, the incentive for my team is going to be to continue to keep salaries low so the ownership keeps making nice profits. If it's profit sharing instead of revenue sharing, the incentive will be to spend as much on salary as you can to limit the amount of money you have to give to other teams.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
RangerBoy said:
The NHL will be holding CBA school this weekend for all of the team executives in New York to help them understand the new CBA
Did they understand the old one?

belko

Mar 13, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
This is very interesting and, I think, significant (if unconfirmed):

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

"Sources also maintain that teams will not have to begin the season with a $39 million payroll, they must simply spend that amount through the entire season. There's also the sense that players who replace those on injured reserve will not have their salaries count against the cap unless they make more than the player they are replacing. So if Sundin breaks his leg just before the trade deadline, the Maple Leafs will likely be able to trade for an impending unrestricted free agent of equal salary to replace him in the lineup."

If this is accurate, it means that a team that stayed under the cap all season, spending say $35 million on player salaries, can still make deals for big-dollar players at the deadline since the majority of their salary will have already been paid by their former team. Only a portion of their salary would remain to be paid out, leaving the team able to fit a couple of $6 million dollar players on their payroll.

Their payroll may look like it's $47 million, but since they didn't actually pay out that much, they're still under the cap.

gobuds

Mar 2, 2004
torontosportsmedia.com
Has anyone else heard this gem- If a player remains unsigned past Oct 20, then he cannot sign for the rest of the year. I heard it on the espn radio late last night. Apparently in the deal.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
gobuds said:
Has anyone else heard this gem- If a player remains unsigned past Oct 20, then he cannot sign for the rest of the year. I heard it on the espn radio late last night. Apparently in the deal.

Holdouts: 'see ya next year'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad