Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
200.gif

...it could work

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Disagree.

If you watch ANH or ESB today you'll see those two movies are paced exceptionally well. It took until TFA to get another well paced Star Wars movie and Rogue One has major pacing problems if you ask me.

The movie is still good but pacing is one of those things that everybody picks up on, most people don't realize what they are picking up on but they feel something.

I feel like you just reinforced his point.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I feel like you just reinforced his point.

I think that what kicked off the craze were two exceptionally well made movies. In that sense, I think the critical side of things comes in here as I really wouldn't consider any other Star Wars movie remotely close to ANH/ESB.

I took their comment as "the original trilogy wouldn't survive the critics today" and I disagree. Except RotJ but the critics weren't kind to it, especially since it is pretty bad and only held up by the pitch perfect finale.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think that what kicked off the craze were two exceptionally well made movies. In that sense, I think the critical side of things comes in here as I really wouldn't consider any other Star Wars movie remotely close to ANH/ESB.

I took their comment as "the original trilogy wouldn't survive the critics today" and I disagree. Except RotJ but the critics weren't kind to it, especially since it is pretty bad and only held up by the pitch perfect finale.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/return-of-the-jedi-1983

http://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-return-of-the-jedi-original-reviews

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I wonder if the original trilogy and most 80s sci-fi/fantasy movies are legendary in retrospect (to my generation, anyway) because we as kids didn't feel the need to call attention to ourselves as such masterful movie critics, or the need to ***** and moan about the things that weren't a perfect fit. We just enjoyed the ride and talked non-stop about what we loved.

The Force Awakens and Rogue One were faithful to the Star Wars mythos. Sounds like the changes to Han Solo are for the better as well.

And the fact that it is merely a "fun ride", and nothing more, is what I hate about TFA. Though I readily agree it is fun.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
OT, but the world was a slightly better place with Nightline in our media world. Also, John Simon is a tool.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's a horrible name but I have more faith with Ron Howard in control and how fast he wrapped up production. I don't think Howard would finish if he was satisfied.

Still, I really struggle to have interest in this. The name doesn't really help. Is it a play on words? I really don't know what it's supposed to be. It's just awkward.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The name of the movie is Solo. The rest of it is just what they’re putting on the anthologies. No one calls it Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, but that is the official title.

Reactions: tacogeoff

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they wouldn't push the date off if it needed extensive reshoots. They're releasing this in May, during a very crowded summer of their own releases (Avengers, Antman and Wasp, Incredibles 2 and some others), and the December release has worked so well for the relaunched Star Wars films. It seems like it would work better for a lot of ways.

I feel this film will be the lowest of the most relaunched Star Wars films at the box office. After the prequel trilogy, I feel people aren't clamouring to see the origin stories of these characters. The fact production has been troubled probably won't help the excitement either.

Reactions: Mightygoose

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do think this is probably the riskiest film they've tried so far. They have to nail a younger version of one of the most beloved Star Wars characters of all time. I actually kind of feel sorry for Ehrenreich. As if playing Han Solo wasn't a big enough task, now with the problems they've had in production, it's even more important that he pulls it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad