Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
FTR the thermal detonator in RotJ is actually a thermal detonator and not a rock. Not saying Leia intended to use it, just saying it wasn’t the same trick.

I understand it was a rock, he threw it ffs but it is undeniable that it was a copy of Leia in RotJ. Its just classic Disney Star Wars and it sucks, can't Disney come up with 1 cool way to have Han look cool and funny trying to negotiate than use practically the same method that was used to save him. The mirroring was obviously on purpose and is quite dumb

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Solo is in an odd situation, as you have to consider four things that were going against it:

A) A lot of fans are ticked following Last Jedi,
B) There were a general apathy surrounding the film well before that, as most questioned the need for such a film.
C) The release date just seemed odd, I think many were like me and just felt that December is for Star Wars and this coming out late Spring just felt odd, and
D) There were expectations of failure with the film over the handling of directorial duties.
:eyeroll:

The first 6 were all released in May.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think it's that he didn't have love for the character, but more that he just didn't want to play it anymore. Killing off Han sort of definitively settled that for him. I think one more and done was enough for him, as it was a physically exhausting role.

It was his idea to have Han killed off in The Empire Strikes Back, which is why they wrote in him being frozen in carbonite. He couldn't have been tired of playing the character, since he'd played it only once (not counting the Holiday Special... though maybe that's what did it for him, haha). Also, I don't remember where I learned it, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that he didn't like the character because he felt that Han was too one-dimensional or something like that.

He didn't even show up to the premiere.

It's hard to figure whether that means anything. It might, but, on the other hand, he probably wouldn't go to premieres for his own movies or do interviews if he weren't contractually obligated to. If he had his choice, Harrison Ford would probably live as a hermit, like Luke in the new films. In fact, maybe it would've seemed truer to the actors and their characters for old Han Solo to have been living in seclusion and old Luke to have been helping the Resistance than the other way around.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Star Wars is May, not December
What movies did Star Wars compete with in the late 70s/early 80s? What movies did Star Wars compete with in the 2000s?

What was the movie "culture" like in those eras? Considering movies in the last ten years have been shattering box office records with regularity, I have to imagine there is some context that is missing, here.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
:eyeroll:

The first 6 were all released in May.

And that has literally nothing to do with the conversation at hand. What's more relevant, three movies getting released in December over the past several years or three movies getting released well over a decade ago plus three more released a generation before that?

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
What movies did Star Wars compete with in the late 70s/early 80s? What movies did Star Wars compete with in the 2000s?

What was the movie "culture" like in those eras? Considering movies in the last ten years have been shattering box office records with regularity, I have to imagine there is some context that is missing, here.

Either you quoted the wrong person or you are trying to invent quantum months, that 80's months were an era that cant be compared to the same time of year as todays months and May was like todays December

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
And that has literally nothing to do with the conversation at hand. What's more relevant, three movies getting released in December over the past several years or three movies getting released well over a decade ago plus three more released a generation before that?
I wouldn't take issue with what you said except for the 'December is for SW' part, because 70% of them have been in May. No one stopped you from clarifying to the recent SW releases.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Either you quoted the wrong person or you are trying to invent quantum months, that 80's months were an era that cant be compared to the same time of year as todays months and May was like todays December
Okay, what was your post even meant to be in response to, then.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I decided to go back and look at what compeition was out there

Star Wars Episode III = Nothing of note in weeks before , During Memorial Weekend Madagascar and Longest Yard opened up and ate into sizeable viewers causing Episode III to tumble to 3rd at BO.

Star Wars Episode II = Spiderman was in its 3rd weekend at box office but nothing else of significance was out there. Episode II had two weeks alone at box office as top draw before another major release (Sum of All Fears) booted it out of top spot for two weeks. Then Scooby Doo and Bourne Identity came out when Episode II was already in theater 5 weekends and started winding down

Star Wars Episode I = Opened when the biggest movies out there were Matrix (In its 8th week , Mummy in its 4th week). No other major blockbusters were still in theaters. Only major release over next two weeks was a romantic movie (Notting Hill). Austin Powers opened in Phantom Menace 4th week

Star Wars = Box Office Mojo has no records for what films were out there or weekend box office at time

Empire Strikes Back = Box Office Mojo again no records of those weekends

Return of the Jedi = No competion at time of release as Flashdance (7th week) , Tootsie (24th week) and ET (51st week) were all well beyond when they were making big $$$ at box office. Psycho II and Wargames came out a week later but neither was big budget action film. Octopussy came out two weeks later but was not big factor. A month after release Spiderman III came out and pushed ROJ out of #1 spot , Audiences then saw how terrible SM3 was and it tumbled out of #1 the next week for Jedi to take it back. Two months into release ROJ lost top spot to Staying Alive

Competition for those films in "Summer Season" really wasn't comparable to what Solo faced this year

Also in ROJ case back then movies would stay at box office far longer as shown by Tootsie/ET and comedies like Trading Places/Porky's never were dominant at box office but made major grosses staying around in top 5/10 as they expanded to various theaters to country and stayed there

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Episode IVs only serious competition was Smokey and the Bandit, which came out two days after it in 1977. They were the top two films of the year, but weren't really competing against each other.

Episode V had no competition. The only successful movie that came out around the same time was The Shining.

Episode VI had a bit more competition, but all of it came out a few weeks after (Octopussy, Trading Places, and WarGames).

He's 75 and in excellent health. Will be filming a new Indiana Jones soon.

Just because he's filming another movie doesn't mean much. He got hurt very easily on the Star Wars set.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just because he's filming another movie doesn't mean much. He got hurt very easily on the Star Wars set.

He attended the Blade Runner 2049 premiere just last Fall and, just a few days ago, surprised Alden Ehrenreich during an interview.

He looks in great health to me, at least well enough to attend a film premiere if he wanted to.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He attended the Blade Runner 2049 premiere just last Fall and, just a few days ago, surprised Alden Ehrenreich during an interview.

He looks in great health to me, at least well enough to attend a film premiere if he wanted to.

Blade Runner is different though. The original was his movie, and he was in the new one too. I didn't mean to say he's dying, but he's very clearly slowed down a lot in the last decade.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ford's absence at the premiere was noticeable, but I agree it may not necessarily mean anything. Still surprising considering how linked he is to the character. Mark Hamill, Billy Dee Williams, Peter Mayhew and even Ewan McGregor were there.

I found another "It's a good thing" article pertaining to this: Harrison Ford Did Not Attend The 'Solo' Premiere — And That's a Good Thing

Really makes you wonder how much influence Disney has over the media.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really don't see Star Wars having legs like the Marvel universe does.

They shouldn't be making these yearly especially if the movies we get are this and Rogue One which are mediocre at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad