Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I ended up seeing this Saturday night. I thought it was a pretty good/fun film. I liked watching a Star Wars film with low stakes. At no point was the fate of the galaxy at stake or anything epic like that. Just a fun heist film in the SW universe. I think they came very close to going overboard on the fan service things, some were just unnecessary or felt forced. The acting was great. Han felt believable. I was worried about Glover as Lando from the scenes we saw in the trailers, but he was fantastic as well.

Some things I did not like:

-The droid was annoying and every scene it was in took me out of the universe and the movie.
-The whole part about Han being a key part with the start of the rebellion is just forced. Think that "twist" should have been removed. (Side note, is the one Alien guy from that group the same guy from Rogue One?)

Reactions: Tex76

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Over Memorial Day weekend, they were jolted when Solo: A Star Wars Story battled hard to hit $100 million domestically and bombed overseas with $65 million. The film badly trailed the launch of fellow stand-alone pic Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which debuted to $155 million domestically in 2016 on its way to topping $1.056 billion globally. At its current rate, Solo may not gross much more than $400 million all in.
Will Soft 'Solo' Box Office Cause Disney to Rethink 'Star Wars' Strategy?

400M? That seems unimaginably bad for a SW film in 2018.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Reactions: Blender

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I ended up seeing this Saturday night. I thought it was a pretty good/fun film. I liked watching a Star Wars film with low stakes. At no point was the fate of the galaxy at stake or anything epic like that. Just a fun heist film in the SW universe. I think they came very close to going overboard on the fan service things, some were just unnecessary or felt forced. The acting was great. Han felt believable. I was worried about Glover as Lando from the scenes we saw in the trailers, but he was fantastic as well.

Some things I did not like:

-The droid was annoying and every scene it was in took me out of the universe and the movie.
-The whole part about Han being a key part with the start of the rebellion is just forced. Think that "twist" should have been removed. (Side note, is the one Alien guy from that group the same guy from Rogue One?)
I enjoyed the movie as well.
I much prefer the movies that fall between Episode III and Episode IV.
I haven't cared much for the new films because of the way they have handled the old characters. That's for another rant though.

Lando was very good IMO but not used enough. There were a couple of times when I could hear the Billy Dee Williams, I'm Lando Calrissian and who might you be tone. I thought there would be more Han/Lando interaction. I hope he is featured in the next ones.
At least this time there is no who shot first debate.
I enjoyed the surprise character at the end and it should be a good part of a Boba Fett and Obi-Wan solo stories (if they are in the works).
All in all it was a fun movie. Especially for those who grew up on the older characters.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Solo had its own problems that are not affected by the reaction of TLJ. Like I have said, it had probably the worst press leading up to its release and other than the Super Bowl spot had the worst marketing of the recent films. Also adding the fact people weren't particularly interested in the premise to begin with.

It's amazing how many factors seem to go against this movie, and the futility of trying to peg it to one thing.

Still, I can't recall a film doing so far below its box office expectations.

What's interesting though that as much talk there has been the franchise losing a sector of its hardcore fans or not financially, where the biggest loss has been is having little traction in China for the franchise.

When the movies are doing great domestically it doesn't make much difference, but, it becomes a bigger risk for the films when it underperforms like this.

I don't think this is the decline of the franchise or anything that dramatic. The biggest films of each of the last 3 years has been from the franchise, and I'm pretty sure episode 9 will be a big success still.

But, it is comforting to see Disney struggle a little. With the Fox merger they have the potential to dominate, but, the fact that they're seeing there are limits to what their franchises can deliver means they may realize they'll need to continue to invest in other properties.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It would still make money with Blu-ray, digital copies and streaming though. Plus all the toys they will sell.
Toy sales are down. Physical media sales are also down. Solo will probably do around 50M in total Blu-ray / DVD sales, and that's before expenses. Hard to say what it will do streaming wise.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Love this movie, especially in the Dolby visual/sounds I accidentally bought the ticket for (highly recommend it).

The movie is filled with intense action, solid dialogue, good chemistry between characters, and keeps a great pace throughout. I also enjoyed the depth they added in the Star Wars universe. Instead of constantly making new and new planets with random new species to milk the franchise even more...they built upon already well established places in the Star Wars lore. It has its shortcomings such as whoever was going to play Han was in a position to fail from the start, but the guy who played Lando was a beast.

Definitely a step in the right direction from the trash we were force to watch in The Last Jedi.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Solo had its own problems that are not affected by the reaction of TLJ. Like I have said, it had probably the worst press leading up to its release and other than the Super Bowl spot had the worst marketing of the recent films. Also adding the fact people weren't particularly interested in the premise to begin with.

Pretty much this. Still surprised by the numbers though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It would probably barely make money if that's all it brings in. $250m production cost plus whatever they spent on ads.

I'm pretty sure that it would lose money if $400M is all that it brings in. Even $500M would probably lose money. The rule of thumb is that you need to gross at least double the production cost to break even.

Let's say that decent word of mouth ends up with it grossing $500M. Using the $100M:$65M domestic:foreign ratio that it's brought in so far, that means $300M domestic and $200M foreign. Studios get about 55% of domestic gross and only 15% of foreign (with the theaters getting the rest), so that means that Disney would get to pocket $165M from domestic and $30M from foreign, for a total of $195M. Add johnjm22's $50M guess for Blu-ray/streaming sales and you've only just reached the production cost and broken even... but marketing still hasn't been accounted for. Basically, whatever Disney spent on marketing is how much money they'll have lost if the film grosses $500M, so $100M spent on marketing would mean a $100M loss (and, obviously, more if the film reaches only $400M).

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure that it would lose money if $400M is all that it brings in. Even $500M would probably lose money. The rule of thumb is that you need to gross at least double the production cost to break even.

Let's say that decent word of mouth ends up with it grossing $500M. Using the $100M:$65M domestic:foreign ratio that it's brought in so far, that means $300M domestic and $200M foreign. Studios get about 55% of domestic gross and only 15% of foreign (with the theaters getting the rest), so that means that Disney would get to pocket $165M from domestic and $30M from foreign, for a total of $195M. Add johnjm22's $50M guess for Blu-ray/streaming sales and you've only just reached the production cost and broken even... but marketing still hasn't been accounted for. Basically, whatever Disney spent on marketing is how much money they'll have lost if the film grosses $500M, so $100M spent on marketing would mean a $100M loss (and, obviously, more if the film reaches only $400M).
Not streaming. Just Blu-ray and DVD.

Rogue One did 80M in physical sales and it's taken 1.5 years to get there: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - Financial Information

So I'm guessing about ~50M for Solo in physical sales. Who knows how much they make from streaming. I haven't found a site that has streaming data. Regardless if it only does 400-500M at the box office it will be very difficult for it to break even.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I honestly wouldn't pay attention to pre-sale records over the next five or so years. A larger and larger percent of people are now buying their tickets through apps ahead of time and skipping the theater line. As that trend continues this record will keep getting broken.

Though given Solos opening numbers, articles like that raise serious doubts to the trustworthiness of Disney and any entertainment media reporting on it.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Managed to avoid (almost) all spoilers and saw it today finally. I can read this thread now!:laugh:

I frankly really enjoyed it and for a number of reasons I can't give TLJ the same credit for. It stayed within its lane and didn't try too hard unlike the sequel trilogy.
Loved the actors / characters too. This and Rogue One have this grittier look and feel to them that I hope persists with all the anthology titles they make.

Don't care about box office numbers myself, but i wonder if all of these Star Wars focused youtubers crusading against Kathy Kennedy are being heard to a degree that's hitting them in the pocketbook?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think attributing the poor showing to any purposeful “boycott” is giving loud mouths on YouTube way too much credit.

Bad release timing, too close to TLJ and The Avengers, a movie nobody ever asked for, with a re-casted young Han Solo was always going to have an uphill battle, but the bad taste left in a lot of casual viewer’s mouths after TLJ is a bigger factor than some want to admit.

I know I’m only speaking for myself but I left the theatre after watching The Last Jedi with the same feeling of almost irritation that I had after watching Batman v Superman. I thought I was getting thrilling Hollywood blockbusters but instead I got 3 hours of some weird dude using Batman/Superman/Star Wars to demonstrate his worldview in really shitty and hamfisted ways.

I didn’t go back for Justice League (or Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman) and I was in no rush to go back for more Star Wars. I know I’m only giving my opinion but the box offices numbers suggest I’m not alone.

I’ll check out Solo eventually because it actually sounds like a good Star Wars movie. Rogue One is easily my favourite of the Disney movies, and Solo seems to be in that wheelhouse.

But also, ‘Memorial Day weekend’ (or the weekend after Victoria Day in Ontario) seems like an awful time to release a movie. It’s the beginning of summer! Give me a few weeks to get sick of summer and I’ll happily give a movie like this a shot for it’s August opening weekend.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know I’m only speaking for myself but I left the theatre after watching The Last Jedi with the same feeling of almost irritation that I had after watching Batman v Superman. I thought I was getting thrilling Hollywood blockbusters but instead I got 3 hours of some weird dude using Batman/Superman/Star Wars to demonstrate his worldview in really ****ty and hamfisted ways.

I didn’t go back for Justice League (or Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman) and I was in no rush to go back for more Star Wars. I know I’m only giving my opinion but the box offices numbers suggest I’m not alone.

I’ll check out Solo eventually because it actually sounds like a good Star Wars movie. Rogue One is easily my favourite of the Disney movies, and Solo seems to be in that wheelhouse.

It's similar with me. I saw The Force Awakens in the theater and didn't like it, so I skipped Rogue One. When I finally watched Rogue One at home, I liked it a lot better. That restored some of my faith in Disney, so I then saw The Last Jedi in the theater. That re-shattered my faith and, now, I have no interest in seeing Solo in the theater, even though it sounds similar to Rogue One. I seem to be picking the wrong ones to see on the big screen. I kind of wish that I'd gone to see Rogue One instead of TFA and may end up wishing that I had gone to see Solo instead of TLJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy43

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Disney can't do Star Wars 2x a year like they wanted
Disney can't hire nobodies to direct
Disney can't hire talent and then fire them 75% of the way through
Disney can't say no to Kasdan apparently, or his son.
Disney can't crank out Star Wars movies like the MCU; you need a good story, talent, and breathing room

Unless you can rope top flight talent into making a Star Wars movie around pre-planned, fantastic story arcs, don't f***ing make Star Wars movies. Pretty straightforward.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I think attributing the poor showing to any purposeful “boycott” is giving loud mouths on YouTube way too much credit.....................................

...........I know I’m only speaking for myself but I left the theatre after watching The Last Jedi with the same feeling of almost irritation that I had after watching Batman v Superman. I thought I was getting thrilling Hollywood blockbusters but instead I got 3 hours of some weird dude using Batman/Superman/Star Wars to demonstrate his worldview in really ****ty and hamfisted ways.

Thing is, the "loudmouths on youtube" are only espousing the exact same sentiments as you in your 2nd paragraph. Have they caused a mass boycott by SW fans? No, but they are a symptom of the unhappiness we all feel.

It's one thing to make crappy movies. It's another thing entirely to make crappy movies and then *go out of your way* to insult your fanbase. Repeatedly. Like you, I had already decided after TLJ that I wasn't going to see any more of the new films. If they hadn't carried on crapping on the fanbase, given the fact that so many people have said that Solo isn't that bad, I may have caved and gone and seen it - if they hadn't carried on crapping on the fanbase and pushing their identity politics right up to the release of the film.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Thing is, the "loudmouths on youtube" are only espousing the exact same sentiments as you in your 2nd paragraph. Have they caused a mass boycott by SW fans? No, but they are a symptom of the unhappiness we all feel.

Yeah that was kind of my point though. I am not "boycotting" Solo. A tiny, tiny percentage of Star Wars' audience is actively "boycotting" anything. We are just movie goers who didn't like the last movie and so had no enthusiasm for this one.

Edit:

pg7wm8a62q011.jpg

I would argue that this specific brand of "journalism" has only had a negative impact on Star Wars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad