Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He didn't say very much but what he did say was ominous and raspy? "No distintegrations?" "As you wish?"

His armor obscured his face?

He the only bounty hunter canny enough to anticipate the "floating away with the garbage" trick?

His ship, the Slave I, was kind of bizarre and flew in a novel way?

It's not that hard to figure out.

None of that is mysterious, except I suppose his face. He's a bounty hunter hired by the Empire. You can reasonably assume that a bounty hunter hired by the Empire is going to be a somewhat unsavory dude.

Intriguing I guess I can understand, but I'm not usually intrigued by bad guys unless I learn that they aren't so bad.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nothing, he was just a guy in cool looking armor and had an interesting spaceship.

The Boba Fett hype is really ridiculous considering how he was taken out.:laugh:

I'm not sure if I get the point of this Han Solo movie. The dude is suppose to be some loser smuggler until he runs into Luke and Obi-Wan right? Also, this actor is going to have a tough time just trying to meet the Harrison Ford standard.

But hey, prove me wrong Disney.

I don't know if loser smuggler is an apt description of him. Actually, I have the impression that he's generally a pretty good smuggler who fell on bad times due to the Empire.

The Han Solo movie has the opportunity to inform the character. Was he a rebel at heart turned criminal in the same way that Jyn Erso was? It has the potential to give us some good backstory as to why he was the smuggler "with a heart of gold" and not just some *******.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The first one won't "bomb" simply because it's Star Wars. If they're signed for three films, Disney is going to make three films. I can't think of any examples of where films weren't made when the actors were actually signed. Maybe it happens, but it's rare.

Again, they're likely signed with the studio for 3 films. They don't have to be Han Solo ones. If they make a Boba Fett movie, for example, you can bet they'd be in that, which would fill another one of their contractual obligations.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Again, they're likely signed with the studio for 3 films. They don't have to be Han Solo ones. If they make a Boba Fett movie, for example, you can bet they'd be in that, which would fill another one of their contractual obligations.

That might actually be interesting if they did kind of a smugglers trilogy where they could bring in characters like Boba Fett and some of the other "scum and villainy" of the Star Wars universe. It would present opportunities to fold in some characters from Rogue One and Rebels as well if they wanted to. Maybe Han bumps into Kanan in a cantina somewhere.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That might actually be interesting if they did kind of a smugglers trilogy where they could bring in characters like Boba Fett and some of the other "scum and villainy" of the Star Wars universe. It would present opportunities to fold in some characters from Rogue One and Rebels as well if they wanted to. Maybe Han bumps into Kanan in a cantina somewhere.

Live action Hondo? I can't remember, did Cad Bane die?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Live action Hondo? I can't remember, did Cad Bane die?

I don't believe Cad Bane died in canon anywhere, but I'm not sure. I'm actually kind of surprised he hasn't turned up in Rebels yet. Unless there was a story somewhere in TCW that never saw the light of day where he died.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Han Solo doesn't need to be informed. He already was. It's a way for Disney to make money and for us to get more Star Wars. Not much more to it than that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't believe Cad Bane died in canon anywhere, but I'm not sure. I'm actually kind of surprised he hasn't turned up in Rebels yet. Unless there was a story somewhere in TCW that never saw the light of day where he died.

It would be cool to see him show up somewhere in one of these movies. Not many non-Firce users can best a Jedi!

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
"Some loser smuggler"? He made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. 12 parsecs!

Just because the Falcon made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs doesn't mean he was flying/captain of it at the time. :sarcasm:

I don't know if loser smuggler is an apt description of him. Actually, I have the impression that he's generally a pretty good smuggler who fell on bad times due to the Empire.
I disagree Tawnos, you see what happens in TFA when he gets cornered by those gangsters, he's just a loser smuggler that scams people to get what he wants. He's also a terrible father!!! ;)

I thought I read in the original expanded universe or somewhere that Han Solo was a young Imperial officer that freed Chewie from slavery to the Empire. That's a young Han Solo story that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
We need a trilogy explaining what happened to Jabba between Star Wars: Special Edition and Return of the Jedi. He must've gone through some awfully hard times ("and a lot of pizzas") to transform from svelte and mobile to morbidly obese and bed-ridden.

The best idea for a Star Wars movie I've ever heard is one explaining why C3P0 is programmed to never impersonate a deity. The person who suggested that movie said something must have gone wrong somewhere once upon a time for the programmer to insert that in there.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The best idea for a Star Wars movie I've ever heard is one explaining why C3P0 is programmed to never impersonate a deity. The person who suggested that movie said something must have gone wrong somewhere once upon a time for the programmer to insert that in there.

That still means making a C3po movie.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why? I mean, he's the fulcrum to a single plot point in a movie and then gets killed in a pratfall. What makes him great? Im honestly curious.

Also, there is nothing confirmed about a Boba Fett movie. I personally don't see it happening, but I could be wrong. More likely we will see an Obi Wan movie, at least first, since Ewan McGregor seems to want to do one.

He's got a lot of good backstory in the books and also doesn't die in those from the pit. They aren't considered canon (I don't think at least) but he has a lot of potential as a character. He's mysterious and there is a lot of plot/character to flesh out there.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I love this idea. Three Han Solo movies might be a bit much. A trilogy about Cad Bane, Han Solo, Boba Fett, IG88, etc, would keep it interesting and would allow them to kill of main characters. Only Han would for sure make it.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I don't doubt the guy will do a good job. What I fear is that the connection people have with Ford as Solo is so strong that it will affect how people receive the movie. It won't be that the movie is bad or that the actor messes up, it will just be a case of "he isn't Han Solo".

Han Solo isn't like Superman or Batman. He was a movie character first, so he is heavily linked to the guy playing him. Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. Very different dynamic.

Why can't they CGI Fords younger face to an actor and have Ford voice him.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Awesome. My favorite character, maybe of all time, will finally have his own standalone. Yes Disney is milking Star Wars but who cares as long as the movies are good.

Han had to learn how to smuggle from someone.

I can't see how he would be. They will more than likely end it as Han meets Luke & Obi-Wan, he and Anakin/Vader wouldn't of crossed paths before he got pulled into the Rebellion (unless they stretch it to Solo's Stormtooper days). He was spending his time running from the Empire.
I was under the impression the story would focus on his Imperial soldier days that is how he met Chewie. If they are doing a trilogy they need to go back at least that far.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was under the impression the story would focus on his Imperial soldier days that is how he met Chewie. If they are doing a trilogy they need to go back at least that far.

Maybe that's how it starts. We see Han in the Imperial Academy getting sick of the Empire, culminating in him rescuing Chewie and then defecting. Then he needs to find work and a ship. He meets Lando from whom he acquires the Falcon, and the he meets Woody who teaches him how to be an intergalactic smuggler. Doesn't seem that hard to do.

I love this post.

He's only said the same thing (or variations of it) over and over since the force awakens was in pre production.

Good example of someone who didn't WANT to like any of the new stuff.

Edit: also I like how after only 2 new movies, star wars is already oversaturated while the MCU is what? 14 movies deep already?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It just occurred to me that we already have a series of films about a brash, young intergalactic smuggler who evades capture, forms unlikely friendships and makes light of serious situations. Disney was beaten to the punch by their own property.

Just because the Falcon made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs doesn't mean he was flying/captain of it at the time. :sarcasm:

That's a good point. It could've been Lando who made the run. Either way, it's probably unlikely that Han would've acquired a ship that's so capable and famous by being only ever a "loser smuggler." He might've once been a promising soldier, who then became a very good smuggler. By the time that he met Luke and Obi-Wan, being on the run from Jabba and needing work might've made him a "loser smuggler" at that point, but that was probably the low of his career, not indicative of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad