GDT: Sochi Olympics (Faulk: USA, Ruutu: FIN, Sekera: SVK, Semin: RUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think there's another thread rolling around here somewhere, and then there's the IIHF one for the WJC, but we may as well start one for Sochi. Hope no one wanted to do any themed GDTs. If so, feel free to either delete this or merge it.

With Team USA set to announce their list Wednesday, we may as well start talking about potential Hurricanes headed overseas. Who makes it, who doesn't? My list:

Locks:
Andrej Sekera, Alex Semin, Tuomo Ruutu, Jiri Tlusty, Eric Staal (despite what Yahoo people think).

Very good chance:
Justin Faulk

Long shots:
Jeff Skinner, Jordan Staal

Played his way off the team:
Cam Ward

It really is too bad about Ward since we all know how much it meant to him. First the injury, then his inability to find a groove this year. The opportunity to make it as a goaltender has never been better.

I do think Skinner could excel, but Team Canada is always just so stacked so he probably won't stand a chance of making it.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'm not so sure E Staal is a lock anymore. Certainly he'd have no chance at center, so I believe he's slotted as a LW. Still, with the depth at forward and skating/speed being at a premium, I don't think I'd put him on the team.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm not so sure E Staal is a lock anymore. Certainly he'd have no chance at center, so I believe he's slotted as a LW. Still, with the depth at forward and skating/speed being at a premium, I don't think I'd put him on the team.

Even after 2010 where he scored 6 points in 7 games? With guys like Iginla and Morrow getting old, spots are opening up for the new crowd.

Which forwards would you take over him? Kunitz (who is 34 years old I just noticed) is a product of Crosby, though they do have chemistry. Stamkos would be a great story, but I really don't think he'll be healthy. Is Marleau still good enough? Can Hall wait until next time?

Maybe not a "lock", but I think it'd be a mistake to leave him off and I can't see Team Canada doing it.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
My prediction for Canada's roster:

Hall-Crosby-Giroux (If Hall doesn't make the team as the 1LW they deserve to lose)
Staal-Stamkos-St. Louis
Getzlaf-Toews-Perry
Duchene-Bergeron-Tavares
Ex: Couture, Benn

Weber-Letang
Subban-Pietrangelo
Keith-Seabrook
Ex: Doughty

Price
Luongo
Fleury

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
by rights there is no way that Staal should be on the team IMO but I would be surprised if he isn't. if they have to have their obligatory Staal, Jordan deserves it more. however, if they want the "best", neither should be there. maybe they'll have Eric hanging around as a spare or something but again, there is no way he deserves to be playing on the Canadian Olympic team, no way. there are others that are playing better and have busted their ***** for the opportunity. Eric Staal doesn't deserve it, period. it will be an utter joke if he makes it over guys who have actually worked hard to get that rare opportunity to represent their countries during their hockey careers.

Faulk isn't ready yet IMO. maybe next time or as a spare now perhaps. depends on injuries to other D-men I suppose.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have no clue if Faulk will make it or not, I mean he's been a beast for USA but it all depends if they have to bring their obligatory Jack Johnson who's been playing like **** and or Byfuglien.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's flat out amazing to me that people think Team Canada gives a flying **** about Eric Staal's effort level with the Hurricanes. He showed up to the Worlds when he didn't have to and got his knee blown out. I can guarantee you they care more about that than anything he has done with the Canes so far this season. If they think he's healthy enough and good enough he'll be there.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Looking at the lineups Buccigross from ESPN put together, I find it extremely possible E Staal won't be on the team:

Kunitz-Crosby-Duchene
Lucic-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Seguin
Neal-Bergeron-Giroux

I can't argue with that. He goes on to list the honorable mentions, which include Staal, Skinner, Hall, Nash, Benn, and Couture.

All these guys are just more skilled than Staal.

And suggestions that J Staal be on the team? Ludicrous. Look at those players. Just no.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Looking at the lineups Buccigross from ESPN put together, I find it extremely possible E Staal won't be on the team:

Kunitz-Crosby-Duchene
Lucic-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Seguin
Neal-Bergeron-Giroux

I can't argue with that. He goes on to list the honorable mentions, which include Staal, Skinner, Hall, Nash, Benn, and Couture.

And suggestions that J Staal be on the team? Ludicrous. Look at those players. Just no.

Lucic? On international ice? It's nice that Buccigross tries to rep hockey on ESPN but he's flat out clueless on a lot of things.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
If Staal is playing LW, he's more skilled than at least two of those guys and probably all four.

Sharp and Neal? Not even close. I'll give you Lucic no problem, but Lucic will most likely have more of an impact on each individual shift. I put Kunitz in there because there seems to be a pretty accepted sentiment that the chemistry with Crosby cannot be duplicated on such short notice. Apparently in 2010 they just couldn't find anyone that would mesh. This seems like an easy solution.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Lucic? On international ice? It's nice that Buccigross tries to rep hockey on ESPN but he's flat out clueless on a lot of things.

You can say the exact same thing about Staal. It takes him eight strides to get to top speed. Against all-star teams on big ice, that's not going to work out real well.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
You can say the exact same thing about Staal. It takes him eight strides to get to top speed. Against all-star teams on big ice, that's not going to work out real well.

Eric has 26 points in 32 international games. I don't think he has any troubles with the big ice.

Now Lucic? His game relies on being able to hit people, getting under their skin, and hopefully turning over the puck to him. Lucic would be an absolute flop if they chose him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Sharp and Neal? Not even close. I'll give you Lucic no problem, but Lucic will most likely have more of an impact on each individual shift. I put Kunitz in there because there seems to be a pretty accepted sentiment that the chemistry with Crosby cannot be duplicated on such short notice. Apparently in 2010 they just couldn't find anyone that would mesh. This seems like an easy solution.

When did Eric Staal become some sort of skill devoid plug? I wouldn't necessarily take him either, but he's not even close to as skilled as Neal and Sharp? Really? They are both better shooters if you want to argue that, but in terms of overall skill they are absolutely comparable.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

If Lucic isn't getting into the game physically, he's straight up worthless. Other than games against Kahzakstan, he's not going to catch anybody clean. On a line with Perry and Getzlaf? Give me Taylor Hall all day over Lucic.

I'm a huge Lucic fan by the way.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
When did Eric Staal become some sort of skill devoid plug? I wouldn't necessarily take him either, but he's not even close to as skilled as Neal and Sharp? Really? They are both better shooters if you want to argue that, but in terms of overall skill they are absolutely comparable.

Just watch Neal and Sharp fly around the ice. Staal used to do that, but he's pretty much a cycling forward now. A very good one, mind you. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. But his ability to create something out of nothing, to score on a breakaway (or in a shootout - lol), or heaven forbid play defense...I'm not confident he'd do it better than those too. Or Taylor Hall for that matter.

Scary thought - Joe Thornton isn't on most lists.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

Kunitz-Crosby-Duchene
Lucic-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp-Toews-Seguin
Neal-Bergeron-Giroux

Absolutely egregious that any of those LWs are included over Hall. Hall is the best LW in the world.

Also not having Stamkos and St. Louis is pretty horrendous. Stammer will be ready.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think Eric slips onto the team due to his adaptability and big game experience.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I just can't see Staal getting on the team. Too many good players. Some good ones are going to be left off. Eric could easily be one of them.

Faulk, however, I think he makes it. His international play with his success here makes him difficult to leave off

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Staal should make the team, Canada loves him. He is versatile and can play LW or C if some catastrophe occurs. Staal over Sharp any day and I don't care how hot Sharp is playing right now. And freaking Kunitz are you ******** me sideways? If he is on the team I'm not even watching their games. LW's should be Duchene, Neal, Staal, maybe Hall or Benn. Bergeron hasn't been amazing either so I'd say he's not a given at this point as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad