Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
baby_bib_ground_960x.jpg
youre not nice

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Bayern and Dortmund playing against each other in the Champions League final in the same stadium they played 11 years ago would be quite the story.

Was a great final, but both teams were much better back then.

Reactions: Jack Straw

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Why are they guaranteed five spots?
The leagues get ranked by relative performance in European competitions which gives them more spots if their teams perform well and fewer spots if their teams don't.

So, as an example, the EPL could have had 5 guaranteed teams in the Champions League next year if City and Arsenal progressed to the CL semis or Final, but their bowing out, and the success of Dortmund and Bayern, meant that the Bundesliga earned an additional guaranteed spot instead (along with Serie A).

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
The leagues get ranked by relative performance in European competitions which gives them more spots if their teams perform well and fewer spots if their teams don't.

So, as an example, the EPL could have had 5 guaranteed teams in the Champions League next year if City and Arsenal progressed to the CL semis or Final, but their bowing out, and the success of Dortmund and Bayern, meant that the Bundesliga earned an additional guaranteed spot instead (along with Serie A).

Is this a newer format? I remember when Liverpool won the CL after finishing outside the top four, they auto qualified and bumped Everton out even though they finished top four. Or am I totally misremembering?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Is this a newer format? I remember when Liverpool won the CL after finishing outside the top four, they auto qualified and bumped Everton out even though they finished top four. Or am I totally misremembering?
It's been this way for a while now.

The Liverpool circumstance was new for UEFA and they were given special dispensation in the year after their win because they didn't finish top 4 in England. At that time, only four clubs from any country could qualify for the CL, but no English team was dropped for Liverpool. The rules to allow for more than four clubs from any country changed in 2016.

Now, the previous CL winner does now automatically qualify for the next season's CL, potentially at the expense of another club from their country. This happened when Chelsea won the 2012 CL. Spurs finished 4th and Chelsea finished 6th in the PL that year and in the following season's CL Chelsea participated at the expense of Spurs.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
It's been this way for a while now.

The Liverpool circumstance was new for UEFA and they were given special dispensation in the year after their win because they didn't finish top 4 in England. At that time, only four clubs from any country could qualify for the CL, but no English team was dropped for Liverpool. The rules to allow for more than four clubs from any country changed in 2016.

Now, the previous CL winner does now automatically qualify for the next season's CL, potentially at the expense of another club from their country. This happened when Chelsea won the 2012 CL. Spurs finished 4th and Chelsea finished 6th in the PL that year and in the following season's CL Chelsea participated at the expense of Spurs.

Thanks for the response

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Man City ticketing is becoming a joke. And it was so, so good until maybe 2 years ago even with the success.

I am a full member, with countless games under my belt since the system switch in the 2000s... generally eligible for Champions League away fixtures etc.

Want to go to Wolves on Sunday, I can get a ticket, easy, there are still like ~100+ seats available.

BUT I cant buy multiple tickets lmao. With less than 48 hours to game and seats still available. IF I want to get my Dad a ticket? We have to pay for membership for him when he would only be going to this game for rest of season.

Same bull-shit with Sevilla away the other year. They REFUSED to sell multiple tickets to one member and tried to get everyone to pay extra to be a member...

And charging £65 for a game vs Wolves... when corresponding fixture last year was like £50. With the additional membership? Would be over £100 for my Dad to go... and frankly I am not paying that on principle. This is not an FA Cup Semi Final... it is Wolves.

Feels like they would rather have a stadium full of tourists than people who have watched the club for their whole lives... I.E. people from impoverished areas of Manchester.

It is a business, yes, but Ferran Soriano should go back to running an airline lmao.

One of the reasons why I would not even be "that" upset if the charges were proven and we got relegated ahaha. Could go to every game with my family again. I dont care too much if they are Champions League winners or in League 2 for the most part aha... seen them win everything now, not going to get any better... aha.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Man City ticketing is becoming a joke. And it was so, so good until maybe 2 years ago even with the success.

I am a full member, with countless games under my belt since the system switch in the 2000s... generally eligible for Champions League away fixtures etc.

Want to go to Wolves on Sunday, I can get a ticket, easy, there are still like ~100+ seats available.

BUT I cant buy multiple tickets lmao. With less than 48 hours to game and seats still available. IF I want to get my Dad a ticket? We have to pay for membership for him when he would only be going to this game for rest of season.

Same bull-shit with Sevilla away the other year. They REFUSED to sell multiple tickets to one member and tried to get everyone to pay extra to be a member...

And charging £65 for a game vs Wolves... when corresponding fixture last year was like £50. With the additional membership? Would be over £100 for my Dad to go... and frankly I am not paying that on principle. This is not an FA Cup Semi Final... it is Wolves.

Feels like they would rather have a stadium full of tourists than people who have watched the club for their whole lives... I.E. people from impoverished areas of Manchester.

It is a business, yes, but Ferran Soriano should go back to running an airline lmao.

One of the reasons why I would not even be "that" upset if the charges were proven and we got relegated ahaha. Could go to every game with my family again. I dont care too much if they are Champions League winners or in League 2 for the most part aha... seen them win everything now, not going to get any better... aha.
I posted upthread but it would cost me almost $400 for two tickets to watch a friendly between the Whitecaps and Wrexham this summer in seats that would cost ~$60 for a regular season game. :laugh:

Whitecaps friendlies against City and Palace were similarly priced to regular season games, but that feels like ages ago now.

Football's seeing more fans willing to pay premiums to watch in person.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I posted upthread but it would cost me almost $400 for two tickets to watch a friendly between the Whitecaps and Wrexham this summer in seats that would cost ~$60 for a regular season game. :laugh:

Whitecaps friendlies against City and Palace were similarly priced to regular season games, but that feels like ages ago now.

yeah...Liverpool is coming to the Linc this summer..i already know I can't afford to go and I really...desire to lol

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Wow I’m glad I went through my “go to matches” phase in the 2000’s. I can’t justify the travel and tickets expenses anymore. Been there, done that ...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

yeh. But when your fanbase is so working class... up until recently I respected the way City had done things ticketing wise. They were still very, very reasonably priced... but last 2 seasons the jumps have been crazy, alongside the rules for tickets.

Comical when half my friends cant get tickets as lifelong fans... yet every game there are hundreds of seats empty.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad