Soccer/Football - Jul 21st-Aug 7th

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
When looking at the impact of the various big team victories, I like to consider the impact on national psyche.

One off the reasons why the big hockey wins have mattered is that Canada has traditionally put so much of our national identity into it. It's what we also used to justify our lack of success elsewhere. The lack of many best on best tournaments made some of those events highly impactful.

I don't feel like Curling has that same value to us, but that may certainly be driven by who you talk to. Even with its popularity in Canada, it feels just outside the mainstream to me personally.

For this win though, the impact it has is that its Canada winning a best on best tournament in the world's most popular sport.

It's a similar vein of Mike Weirs Masters win or Bianca Andreescu at the US Open.

I don't think there's any definitive answer on where this ranks though, as the criteria is different for everyone.

Reactions: 1989 and gattaca

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I would say Jennifer Jones gold medal in 2014 Sochi was far more impressive where she became the first female curling team to go undefeated at 11-0 to win the gold at the olympics. Only other time a curling team went undefeated was Kevin Martin in Vancouver.

To me completely dominating the field to make olympic history on your way to a gold medal is much more impressive than barely winning a gold where the other team was worse in penalties than you were. How many chances did Sweden get to win and they just choked a little more than Canada did.

To each their own. But, this tweet, I feel, captures an important sentiment for many.

This isn't Miracle in Ice level, but, it's that type of feeling. The fact that it took a little luck doesn't diminish it, and in fact, strengthens the importance a bit.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This isn't Miracle in Ice level, but, it's that type of feeling. The fact that it took a little luck doesn't diminish it, and in fact, strengthens the importance a bit.

A 'little luck'?! More like a CRAPLOAD of luck. OK their defense was good and the goaltender was solid, but going through all your games where you were almost completely incapable of scoring outside of being given penalty kicks during the game or winning a shootout? Yeah that's just boatloads of goodluck.

If it wasn't for the Swedish captain pulling a Roberto Baggio in the 1994 World Cup the Swedes win the gold, but they just happened to choke even more than the Canadians on this day.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I always got the feeling until relatively recently that curling was "Canada's to lose".

I think this was a much more of an underdog performance where they managed to win against the top two teams in the tournament.
Tbh they couldn’t have had a more difficult path to gold. They beat the most football crazed nation on Earth in Brazil (who have a Sinclair of their own in Marta), the dominant USA team, and the best team in the tournament going into the finals in Sweden

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A 'little luck'?! More like a CRAPLOAD of luck. OK their defense was good and the goaltender was solid, but going through all your games where you were almost completely incapable of scoring outside of being given penalty kicks during the game or winning a shootout? Yeah that's just boatloads of goodluck.

If it wasn't for the Swedish captain pulling a Roberto Baggio in the 1994 World Cup the Swedes win the gold, but they just happened to choke even more than the Canadians on this day.

Who cares? Canada won. It doesn't matter whether Canada was the best team or had the most impressive tournament. It only matters that they won.

Sep 19, 2008
I openly did not want Canada to win but I respect how they did it with defense. They didn't dazzle you with goals and offense. They played a nitty gritty defensive style that was in your face. They relied on strong goalkeeping to get them a chance for gold.

In the end, it was better to be lucky than to be good. I watched all of Canada's games hoping they'd f***ing lose. They didn't. They beat Brazil and Sweden on PK's. They stifled the US and won 1-0 on a PK.

Respect.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I would say Jennifer Jones gold medal in 2014 Sochi was far more impressive where she became the first female curling team to go undefeated at 11-0 to win the gold at the olympics. Only other time a curling team went undefeated was Kevin Martin in Vancouver.

To me completely dominating the field to make olympic history on your way to a gold medal is much more impressive than barely winning a gold where the other team was worse in penalties than you were. How many chances did Sweden get to win and they just choked a little more than Canada did.

I would say less than 5% of Canadians remember what Jones did, and less than 20% know who she is...

Everyone knows what the Canadian soccer team in this country just did, and it will be remembered for decades.

Jones had a great tournament. I watched it and don't even remember it to be honest. And that's kinda the point.

Sep 19, 2008
To each their own. But, this tweet, I feel, captures an important sentiment for many.

This is overblowing it.

This isn't even close to a miracle on ice. The miracle on ice was mostly unknown college kids against Russian professionals.

This Canadian team was good. They weren't unknowns and amateurs. They were professional athletes who beat other professional athletes. Good for them, but it's far from the Miracle or the "greatest achievement in this country's sporting history." Like, are we to forget that Crosby scored a golden goal to beat America? Or the Henderson games in that Summit series?

Greatest achievement in female Canadian team sports? Sure.

All team sports? Try again.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

That's a bit harsh as she wasn't the only one that missed. And give credit to the Canadian keeper for coming up big. As well as a 20-year-old scoring the clutch winner under such enormous pressure.

Sure, the Americans completely dominated the entire match and Sweden only a little less so, and Canada's only goals came on penalty kicks. But all it takes in football as a big underdog is find a way to stay in the game and if the U.S. couldn't find a way to score and Sweden didn't put the game away then take the win in the gamble that is a shootout as it still counts just the same; They didn't make the rules.

Sep 19, 2008
Sweden was up in the shootout with a chance to win and choked. Canada fought their way back and got a close edge. If that Swede doesn't miss that shot it's a different story.

I just don't see the dislike for Canada winning this way. Again...I am probably the person in here who LEAST wanted them to win. I know a lot of annoying people who were going to rub it in my face all day. But they won it fair and square. No complaints here.

Sep 19, 2008

This is the first time I heard of this. And it's curling, so it was barely covered.

This was better. It's no hockey victory, but still.

That being said, Canada's women trailing late one minute away from losing a gold medal, tying it, and then winning it is more important is more well known than the women winning gold in soccer.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It’s incredible that the USWNT and even moreso the Canadians womens team are so successful when the mens teams are not anything to write home about.

Ok the US mens team is decent on paper, but Canada is crap.

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
I'd rate this win middle of the pack in the sense that it matters more because it was Canada's first soccer gold in the olympics. It won't be remembered for being a legendary finals game or how great the team played during the olympics.

And is curling considered team sports even if its only a team of four? Because I'd rate a number of those curling gold wins higher than this team win.

Not first gold in football. Canada men got gold in football in 1904. First country to win gold in both men and women's football at the Olympics.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s incredible that the USWNT and even moreso the Canadians womens team are so successful when the mens teams are not anything to write home about.

It makes sense. Canada and the US both invest in women's soccer far more in comparison to the pool, while in men's soccer they are dwarfed by a global behemoth and their programs are very poor.

Reactions: QuietContrarian
Sep 19, 2008

Canada hired the predecessor to Bev and is 70th in the world :laugh:

Reactions: NyQuil
Sep 19, 2008
I saw the Canadian women play at the U-19 World Cup in Edmonton back in 2002. I feel that this era for the squad started at that tournament, and it's nice to see this bookend for Sinclair's incredible career.
Labbe and the former Diana Matheson used to play here locally

they were good people. Sadly Matheson retired a few weeks ago.

I feel proud to have met Labbe before she became a superstar :laugh:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This is overblowing it.

This isn't even close to a miracle on ice. The miracle on ice was mostly unknown college kids against Russian professionals.

This Canadian team was good. They weren't unknowns and amateurs. They were professional athletes who beat other professional athletes. Good for them, but it's far from the Miracle or the "greatest achievement in this country's sporting history." Like, are we to forget that Crosby scored a golden goal to beat America? Or the Henderson games in that Summit series?

Greatest achievement in female Canadian team sports? Sure.

All team sports? Try again.

I don't think he's saying it's the Miracle on Ice, but the point that underdog victories on a big stage are often the ones that get remembered and revered the most.

Can you name a bigger Team Canada underdog victory in such a high profile event?

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
This is the first time I heard of this. And it's curling, so it was barely covered.

This was better. It's no hockey victory, but still.

That being said, Canada's women trailing late one minute away from losing a gold medal, tying it, and then winning it is more important is more well known than the women winning gold in soccer.

At best it is too early to say. But the hockey win was another win in a 2 team event. The unique part was that it was won in a very dramatic fashion.

Football win today is first time for Canada women, first team Canada gold in the Summer Olympics since 68 and not likely to happen again in anyone living today's lifetime.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't think he's saying it's the Miracle on Ice, but the point that underdog victories on a big stage are often the ones that get remembered and revered the most.

Can you name a bigger Team Canada underdog victory in such a high profile event?
Considering Canada's sport history was almost 98% hockey related when they were the favorites and won no

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The biggest soccer win in Canada’s history for sure, but I would not go as far to say the biggest win in Canada’s history. There are a few hockey titles that trump it.
Things are looking up for soccer in general in Canada. The culture has changed and the men’s team is on an upward trajectory as well.

Reactions: John Price

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Canada didn't even win that shootout, Sweden lost it with our typical loser mentality. Canadian keeper didn't even have to make any good saves.

The Swedish shooter who did a John Terry/Roberto Baggio when she could have given her team the gold looked super depressed before even taking the shot. And that's the team veteran. She looked like she was attending a funeral.

Actually the Swedish keeper indirectly called out her teammates in an interview afterwards when she said she personally likes those high pressure moments, but that she didn't know how the shooters felt. She was pissed.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Big event in Europe (not so much in Canada)

2021 Men's World Hockey after the Group Stage, who honestly expected them to win Gold?

3-0-1-3 after Group stage, including loses to Latvia, Germany... Barely beating Norway and Kazakhstan. Had to use a tiebreaker to get into the QF (over Kazakhstan)

Beat Russia in OT, Beat USA by 1, Beat Finland in OT

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5