Blue Jays Discussion: So you're saying there's a chance?Pt II: Not anymore. Because, y'know, season's over

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Agree with both of you 100%

If the Jays can get rid of Buehrle or Reyes it will give them a ton of flexibility. If they can't though, they either need to find players currently in the system (as ryno pointed out, the Jays haven't developed a legitimate position player since...Lind?), or spend money. Considering there's no close players in the system and AA still seems enamored with drafting guys who can be athletes instead of play baseball, the second option seems more reasonable.

AA sure does love this TOOLSY position players but they need to draft ball players who play the game the right way and even if they have 3 out of 5 tools so be it they may not run fast but if they are great hitters or may not have a great arm but can hit and run go for it.

They spent so many high picks on pitching and while some are panning out they failed to fill the positional depth at the same time now you have older vets in place who when the young pitchers are ready and tested at the MLB level those guys will be in their middle to late 30's and on the decline.

Time to look at the team and decide which direction you are going in. All in to win or sell off to get some positional young players who can enter their best years when the young pitchers are ready.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
In baseball, all you need to do is just solidify a playoff spot (how or in what position you make the playoffs... not a whole lot of importance unless it's difference between first 3 seeds and last two seeds) and you have a good chance at a title with how big a crapshoot things are. Just look at the Kansas City ****ing Royals for living proof. Problem is solidifying that spot. Oakland was at the top, made a big move to bolster their rotation, and the team went completely south after that.

If the Jays could just sneak into the playoffs, they have as good a shot at a title as anyone else just simply because of the random crapshoot luck factor.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah, but how many games have the Jays played from Sept 15 onwards in the past 20 years where they've been within three games of a playoff spot?

(hint: can be counted on zero hands)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, but how many games have the Jays played from Sept 15 onwards in the past 20 years where they've been within three games of a playoff spot?

(hint: can be counted on zero hands)

I can count in my head, thank you very much :D:sarcasm:

Although I don't think we had to make that all-in move for a superstar at all (and I'm glad we stayed out of the Shark/Price/Lester sweepstakes), several quality pieces to bolster up weak spots were doable without giving away the future (i.e. Stroman and Sanchez). Part of that is on ownership for not giving AA some room to maybe take on a guy with a short term but a bit overpaid salary who would have low trade value because of that and part of that is on AA for keeping guys like Francisco on the roster and giving Gibby little choice but to play him. The bullpen... eh, it's hard admittedly to rectify that because of the volatility of relievers, but picking up a no name guy who throws in the high 90's with good K rates could've been something to do. Our only deadline move was for Valencia (fine, days before, but that's semantics), which was a good move, but I do think we could've done a bit more.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2014 MiLBY Awards:

Best Offensive Player:
Mallex Smith (Fans) | Kris Bryant (Staff)

Best Starter:
Daniel Norris (Fans) | Tyler Glasnow (Staff)

Best Reliever:
Akeel Morris (Fans) | Cam Bedrosian (Staff)

Breakout Prospect:
Dalton Pompey (Fans) | Daniel Norris (Staff)

Best Team:
Kane County (Fans & Staff)

Best System:
New York Mets (Fans) | Chicago Cubs (Staff)

Best Game:
Spokane's no-no (Fans) | L-Kings' comeback (Staff)

Best Performance:
Kay debuts with cycle (Fans) | Griffin blasts four (Staff)

They have a nice article on Norris' ascent too.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...id=98526910&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Jays were ranked 10th in best farm system voting among fans. Kendall Graveman came in second (tied with Giolito) in the best starter category. Arik Sikula came 3rd in best relief category.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
2014 MiLBY Awards:

Best Offensive Player:
Mallex Smith (Fans) | Kris Bryant (Staff)

Best Starter:
Daniel Norris (Fans) | Tyler Glasnow (Staff)

Best Reliever:
Akeel Morris (Fans) | Cam Bedrosian (Staff)

Breakout Prospect:
Dalton Pompey (Fans) | Daniel Norris (Staff)

Best Team:
Kane County (Fans & Staff)

Best System:
New York Mets (Fans) | Chicago Cubs (Staff)

Best Game:
Spokane's no-no (Fans) | L-Kings' comeback (Staff)

Best Performance:
Kay debuts with cycle (Fans) | Griffin blasts four (Staff)

They have a nice article on Norris' ascent too.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...id=98526910&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

*Psst* Look at your post count.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Maddon talking to #Cubs as well as other teams. No deal in place with Cubs - yet.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The AL East will help unleash Smoak, or so says Shi.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/a-hit-friendly-al-east-could-unlock-smoaks-talent/

I don't mind Davidi but stuff like this doesn't help him.

What exactly is wrong with that article that makes it some kind of black mark for Davidi? He's right. Smoak had a boatload of potential that he hasn't filled, and maybe a move to the blue Jays is the kind of thing that can help him take steps to becoming something resembling a real big leaguer. Considering the piece reports that the Jays aren't on the hook for the $3.6m he was owed this year and will instead buy him out for $100k and negotiate a lower salary, that's even better. This isn't a move that costs the Jays any significant money or roster pieces or anything of the sort. If it works, great. If not, they stuff him in Buffalo or cut bait and move on. And maybe it's the impetus to try and find a worthwhile trade that can be made using Adam Lind to fix up the other, more glaring holes on the roster.

I don't understand how looking at the potential positives of a deal with no real downside and no real cost is somehow terrible. Even the complaints that AA loves his waiver claims as if it's a negative are kind of dumb. Waiver claims and trades or FA signings are not mutually exclusive. I mean, my god, if the front office did absolutely nothing but focus on a single big trade and through whatever reason it didn't come to fruition, people would riot that there's no backup plan in place. But then the team makes the kind of moves that form the basis of backup plans and contingencies and just good old-fashioned asset stockpiling and people riot because those moves aren't enough. Even though they're not necessarily meant to be "enough" in the first place.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What exactly is wrong with that article that makes it some kind of black mark for Davidi? He's right. Smoak had a boatload of potential that he hasn't filled, and maybe a move to the blue Jays is the kind of thing that can help him take steps to becoming something resembling a real big leaguer. Considering the piece reports that the Jays aren't on the hook for the $3.6m he was owed this year and will instead buy him out for $100k and negotiate a lower salary, that's even better. This isn't a move that costs the Jays any significant money or roster pieces or anything of the sort. If it works, great. If not, they stuff him in Buffalo or cut bait and move on. And maybe it's the impetus to try and find a worthwhile trade that can be made using Adam Lind to fix up the other, more glaring holes on the roster.

I don't understand how looking at the potential positives of a deal with no real downside and no real cost is somehow terrible. Even the complaints that AA loves his waiver claims as if it's a negative are kind of dumb. Waiver claims and trades or FA signings are not mutually exclusive. I mean, my god, if the front office did absolutely nothing but focus on a single big trade and through whatever reason it didn't come to fruition, people would riot that there's no backup plan in place. But then the team makes the kind of moves that form the basis of backup plans and contingencies and just good old-fashioned asset stockpiling and people riot because those moves aren't enough. Even though they're not necessarily meant to be "enough" in the first place.

This just sounds like an article bought and paid for by the home team. He dedicated an article to pretty much a player that has done next to nothing in his career and turns 28 in December. He's no better than Nolan Reimold.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yikes Tim Hudson with a rough start. Looks like Madison is gonna make an appearance tonight. just a matter of when. Also Alex Gordon is a REALLY good ball player.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I think he meant Neil Walker from the Pirates.

They need a bigish bat to play 1st and replace Pedro Alvarez. Jays need a middle infielder.

Correry, sorry should have given a full name. But he was pretty great this year but adding Smoak I wouldn't mind doing Walker for Lind plus something. I really feel Smoak still has potential

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to the New York Post, the Toronto Blue Jays will trade Adam Lind to another MLB team. The Mariners and A’s stand out as teams that could dedicate significant DH at-bats to Lind.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/27/giants-bunted-against-the-shift-and-it-could-change-everything/

Blue Jays perhaps gone with the Lind

If you want to take a guess on the first significant trade of the offseason, the Blue Jays moving Adam Lind is a good bet. Toronto has to either pick up a $7.5 million 2015 option or buy out Lind for $1 million, and there are strong indicators the Jays want to reallocate those funds elsewhere, so they might pick up the option and then deal Lind, who would be attractive to a team interested in him because he also has a reasonable $8 million 2016 option (or $500,000 buyout).

The Mariners and A’s stand out as teams that could dedicate significant DH at-bats to Lind. In theory, Lind also could play first base, but he is a limited defender. Also, he fits a model Oakland — among others — deploys when it cannot find an everyday player at a position: Obtain a player who can be used against a specific type of pitching.

Toronto all but abandoned using Lind against southpaws (2-for-33, .061), but the lefty hit .354 with a .942 OPS against righties last year. In his career, Lind has an .860 OPS against righties and .588 vs. lefties.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hey guys,

According to the New York Post, the Toronto Blue Jays will trade Adam Lind to another MLB team. The Mariners and A’s stand out as teams that could dedicate significant DH at-bats to Lind.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/27/giants-bunted-against-the-shift-and-it-could-change-everything/

I could understand moving Lind and am quite interested to see what he would return. My
Computer crapped out today so I can't check what either team could offer in return assuming we'd be looking for a 2b as I don't see trading for a reliever with an asset like Lind

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ned Yost good grief

The Giants need to win this thing. If KC wins, it will only serve to validate that little sliver of lunacy out there that thinks that victory somehow absolves Yost of all the stupid things he's done and "proves" that his tactics were in fact good, competent managing.

If anyone else were in charge of the Royals and not Yost-ing it up, I'd root for them (for as much as I might root for other teams to win, which is honestly not much), but the evil that would be unleashed by Yost being a "World Series winning manager" is far too great a threat to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad