Speculation: So where does Patrick Kane end up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Because it doesn't, that team is a tire fire

Why does he care?

He's won 3 cups already, he turns 35 in November, he's spent his entire career with Chicago. The only possible reason he would have for wanting to leave is to win again, and somebody who's already won 3 cups probably doesn't care all too much about that anymore.

It makes complete sense for him to decide he wants to retire a Blackhawk.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why does he care?

He's won 3 cups already, he turns 35 in November, he's spent his entire career with Chicago. The only possible reason he would have for wanting to leave is to win again, and somebody who's already won 3 cups probably doesn't care all too much about that anymore.

It makes complete sense for him to decide he wants to retire a Blackhawk.

I suspect he enjoyed the feeling why wouldn't he want to win again?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What’s the point for Kane?

To grind through the playoffs on a team that’s not a true contender (lightning/avalanche/rags/bruins) and f*** up his shit worse end his career early at 34?

Or get surgery and rehab his hip so he can play hockey into his 40’s — which given his play style is completely possible.
If the surgery was necessary, and the risk to ending his career was real, wouldn't he have had the surgery already? There's no benefit to the Hawks to have him playing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Because it doesn't, that team is a tire fire
He's also probably 3-4 seasons away from taking the CHI scoring title.
May want to only play with 1 franchise as many of the greats have.
That might be some things that would give him pride
He isn't missing a Stanley Cup like Bourque

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why didn't Ryan Getzlaf want to win again?

Not everybody has the same motivations. Especially for a guy who's won 3 times, and literally won everything there is to win.

Something tells me you're quite young.

I guess I have a different mind set than you, I know if it were me I'd be looking for #4, 5,6 and 7

Reactions: Circus86

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I guess I have a different mind set than you, I know if it were me I'd be looking for #4, 5,6 and 7
You mean a different mindset than Kane? Someone defending Kane for possibly looking at things differently than you does not inherently imply they share Kane’s view either.

Personally, I’d be all for trying to win more. I would also, play post NHL retirement until my fifties in some cool place like Switzerland… just for the lifestyle. But who knows what Kane wants?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not sure why so many think he's staying in Chicago it makes no sense

Its makes plenty of sense as potential scenario

He has said he likes playing with kids coming up to Hawks and being elder statesman on team and he could become the leading scorer in Hawks history if he remains. Also, with Toews likely departing Kane could end up the captain of team to finish out his career.

+ He won't have to uproot his family.

The only scenario that would make sense for Hawks to not trade is having extension in place with him to remain in Chicago for rest of his career

If that is case, it opens up possibility of Hawks using another retention slot at TDL as well

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Kane agrees to be moved so Chicago gets better long term ( 2nd round pick + good prospect ) resigns in Chicago in off season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

You don't know anything about my mindset. Just like you don't know anything about Kane and his mindset.

Which again makes me think you're still quite young and unable to recognize how others may share different values. Like a 35 year old perhaps valuing his young family and stability for them over chasing one more cup. Or valuing loyalty and getting to finish his career entirely with the same team.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Going to say Patrick Kane to Buffalo. Timo Meier to New Jersey.

That area has started the arms race.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Call me cynical but I don't believe in coincidences. It's no secret toews and kane are both emotionally upset with the Hawks organization, look at everything that has transpired since there last cup win and it's all negative.

Look at the timing of these articles that suddenly get floated out regarding some hip injury kane has? Is kane and his agent intentionally trying to hurt chicago chances of getting a huge haul for kane ?

And regarding their decisions to get traded , I mean they've both had more than ample time to work through and make that choice. Why all of a sudden with just a mere few weeks away there still saying we haven't decided yet 🙃. If you buy into that story , knowing that both have had ample time and space to decide 2 more weeks isn't going to magically finalize there decisions.

Not only will they both leave but they made sure that chicago ends up with a less than desirable return.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It depends on the player. I remember a quote from Mike Modano towards the end of his Dallas run about whether he'd want to be traded as a rental. He said something to the effect that he might be more motivated had he not won the Cup previously. (And then he pivoted and signed with Detroit in the offseason)

Teemu Selanne invoked his NTC in 2003 because he had no desire in being a rental (apparently turned down a trade to New Jersey, maybe in an alternate universe there is a Kariya vs Selanne SCF that year). Selanne won the Cup in 2007 and then wasn't interested in being a rental when Anaheim missed the playoffs in 2010 or 2012.

Similarly I'm sure Scott Niedermayer told the Ducks he was happy to ride out his final season with them instead of demanding a trade. Niedermayer had won all that there was to win and was more than happy to settle into his post-playing career.

I remember years ago somebody mocked me when I pointed out these examples. But not everybody is programmed to get as many Cups as possible.

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
His hip didn’t seem to bother him his previous game. Any Hawks fans know if he’s looking better since sitting out a few weeks ago?
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who is cynical regarding this sudden hip injury being floated out .
I wouldn't be surprised if kanes agent was feeding that story to some gullible writer to push that right before the tdl coincidence

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It depends on the player. I remember a quote from Mike Modano towards the end of his Dallas run about whether he'd want to be traded as a rental. He said something to the effect that he might be more motivated had he not won the Cup previously. (And then he pivoted and signed with Detroit in the offseason)

Teemu Selanne invoked his NTC in 2003 because he had no desire in being a rental (apparently turned down a trade to New Jersey, maybe in an alternate universe there is a Kariya vs Selanne SCF that year). Selanne won the Cup in 2007 and then wasn't interested in being a rental when Anaheim missed the playoffs in 2010 or 2012.

Similarly I'm sure Scott Niedermayer told the Ducks he was happy to ride out his final season with them instead of demanding a trade. Niedermayer had won all that there was to win and was more than happy to settle into his post-playing career.

I remember years ago somebody mocked me when I pointed out these examples. But not everybody is programmed to get as many Cups as possible.

Getzlaf also did the same thing last year.

Especially once guys get older, what they value most tends to change.

Reactions: Drumman44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad