So where are the Canucks putting their affiliate? UPD: Utica NY

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Teddy Gruber
What division/conference will Utica be in?
Like · · 14 hours ago near Elmwood Park, IL

Utica Comets
North Division, of the Western Conference

From the team's Facebook. I assume that means Iowa to Midwest and Abbotsford to South.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
From the team's Facebook. I assume that means Iowa to Midwest and Abbotsford to South.

Good. Means that the Chicago Wolves may get to see the Comets come to town for a rematch.

Would have been nice to have the Icecaps come to town the last few years, but now having the Wolves play the Icecaps wouldn't mean much of anything.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Good. Means that the Chicago Wolves may get to see the Comets come to town for a rematch.

Would have been nice to have the Icecaps come to town the last few years, but now having the Wolves play the Icecaps wouldn't mean much of anything.

Conference placing means nothing in AHL scheduling. Rochester hasn't played Chicago/Milwaukee/Rockford in like 5 years.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Conference placing means nothing in AHL scheduling. Rochester hasn't played Chicago/Milwaukee/Rockford in like 5 years.
But had no problem having San Antonio, Texas, and Oklahoma City on the schedule.

I know that it depends on both teams willingness and wherewithal to schedule the other and to travel to each other, but it just seems silly that stuff like skipping over a bunch of teams to play some others happens.

I miss seeing the smattering of Eastern teams that used to visit the western conference. You can only play Rockford and Milwaukee so many times before it goes from heated rivals to "Jesus Christ, not them again..." apathy.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
That kind of surprises me as there still is a rather sizable amount of Leaffans out here.

This is true, but there is a sizable portion of Leafs fans at every Marlies game. Just not a huge presence. A nice moment from when the Marlies eliminated the Heat in Abbotsford, was that most of the Leafs fans gathered around the Heat side of the rink. After Zigomanis scored, the team celebrated in the corner in front of a nice group of Leafs fans.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
But had no problem having San Antonio, Texas, and Oklahoma City on the schedule.

I know that it depends on both teams willingness and wherewithal to schedule the other and to travel to each other, but it just seems silly that stuff like skipping over a bunch of teams to play some others happens.

I miss seeing the smattering of Eastern teams that used to visit the western conference. You can only play Rockford and Milwaukee so many times before it goes from heated rivals to "Jesus Christ, not them again..." apathy.

Axe can give you Dave Andrews take on the schedule!!!

Chicago is willing to travel to any team to play them but the issue is when the east sent their biggest and baddest one season on a west conference tour, they got their butts handed to them. They won only one game (I think) and then no eastern team ever came back here, and no rochester either and we saw teams once. A once hated IHL rival Moose only came to town once or twice a year. Same for the hated Griffins.

C'mon Axe, we really need the almighty commissioner's famous words of why team play each other 12 to 14 times a year......

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Axe can give you Dave Andrews take on the schedule!!!

Chicago is willing to travel to any team to play them but the issue is when the east sent their biggest and baddest one season on a west conference tour, they got their butts handed to them. They won only one game (I think) and then no eastern team ever came back here, and no rochester either and we saw teams once. A once hated IHL rival Moose only came to town once or twice a year. Same for the hated Griffins.

C'mon Axe, we really need the almighty commissioner's famous words of why team play each other 12 to 14 times a year......

LORD DAVID the FIRST bestowed his imperial wisdom on the subject( not to be confused with us his "subjects") by stating that he would schedule anyone to play anywhere all the teams had to do was tell him they wanted to play each other. But added that he didn't understand why we would want to give up a "rivalry game ", versus a team we see more than we see our own mother and father, to play a team from out east.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
LORD DAVID the FIRST bestowed his imperial wisdom on the subject( not to be confused with us his "subjects") by stating that he would schedule anyone to play anywhere all the teams had to do was tell him they wanted to play each other. But added that he didn't understand why we would want to give up a "rivalry game ", versus a team we see more than we see our own mother and father, to play a team from out east.

LORD DAVE: And so said we shall consult the book of scheduling

EAST COAST TEAM OWNERS: Scheduling, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One. "And Lord dave raised the schedule up on high saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy schedule that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large --"

LORD DAVE: Skip a bit, Brother.

EAST COAST TEAM OWNERS: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pen. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then those teams within the count of three shall throw thy Holy Schedule of Springfield towards thou non east coast teams, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.'"

LORD DAVE: Amen.

ALL: Amen.

LORD DAVE: Right! One... two... five!

SIR CRUNCH: Three sir.

LORD DAVE: Three!

And this the schedule of Lord dave rained terror and apathy upon the teams not in the northeast portion of the lands, banishing them to forever play only the teams that the eastern that the northeastern teams are afraid to play.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Comets announced this today on their Facebook page. They are off to a great start!

4 days. 1,000 Utica Comets Season Ticket holders.

“The Utica Comets hockey fans have totally just blown us away. One thousand season tickets sold, with our box office being open for under thirty hours, is a great indicator as to just how ready Utica, NY is for AHL hockey.†said President Robert Esche. “Utica is a hockey town, and the response, through ticket sales, and social media further solidifies that fact.â€

“I have owned seven professional sports teams, and I have never once seen 1,000 season tickets sold in a four day span.†said Chairman Frank B. DuRoss. “The fan response has been extraordinary.â€

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
If you've been to Utica recently, a three digit number is impressive, let alone a four digit number. Hopefully it works out long term. I can't think of many things better than a 3:00 brewery tour at Saranac/Matt's, then an evening game. If Utica works out, I'd imagine that there's no reason a team couldn't work in the Watertown area and Plattsburgh. Maybe some of those western teams who only want to play Chicago and Milwaukee. The could move to New York and have some variety in their schedule. Sorry.......

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
If you've been to Utica recently, a three digit number is impressive, let alone a four digit number. Hopefully it works out long term. I can't think of many things better than a 3:00 brewery tour at Saranac/Matt's, then an evening game. If Utica works out, I'd imagine that there's no reason a team couldn't work in the Watertown area and Plattsburgh. Maybe some of those western teams who only want to play Chicago and Milwaukee. The could move to New York and have some variety in their schedule. Sorry.......

Watertown is waaaaaaay too small. It makes Glens Falls look like a sprawling metropolis.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Sounds like a win-win to me. Vancouver has a cheap place to put their team for a year or two. Utica takes state money to fix up the Aud. Vancouver pulls out, and is left with 4,000 hockey fans in Utica hating them..... 3,999 were fans of other teams a month ago. Politicians look good for years with the stadium upgrades as reminders of their service.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad