So when is Salt Lake City going to get an NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
And what makes you the expert on the subject? Your opinion or fact? Atlanta should never get a team again. But why should SLC get a team over the places I have mentioned?
Demographics, now and in the future.
At the end of the day is will always be about growing the brand. A houston vs Dallas rivalry seems natural or even Portland and Seattle. SLC? won't be Vegas or Arizona in my opinion
Because ''''''growing'''''' the brand of hockey by placing franchises in markets that never have, or will care about hockey have done miracles for the sport, right?
Soccer surpasses NHL as 4th most popular sport in United States

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Hockey in SLC would do fine, I imagine they would be kinda like the Florida Panthers. If I had deep pockets I would shoot for bringing in an NFL team.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
They are pretty low on the list of potential cities that would get teams.

Houston, Portland, Quebec, GTA, KC would all be well ahead of SLC.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Eh, visited there last year. Don't think it would do well. Or rather, I think there are better untapped markets.

I suppose the nhl could use it as a "growth" market, but then why not use a city 5x the population like Houston or fort worth...or kansas which is 2x or Portland which is 2x.

Quebec is 800k to SLC 1.2m, but the Quebec fans are basically built in fans right away, however that isn't going to create new hockey fans.

I know it would never happen but imagine putting the 1st Pro sports team for (baseball, hockey, basketball, football) into Mexico City that has a metro of 20 million. Could be an epic fail or epic win. Lots of tourists would go to games.

Until Mexico fixes their Cartel problems it will always be a no-go.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Birmingham, AL will get a team first, which means neither B-ham or SLC will get a sniff at the NHL. Case closed.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
seems there were some hurt feelings here when people made a good case why the city would not get a team. Tossing out Salt Lake city seems like a pretty random city in general and no one should get their feelings hurt over other not agreeing with the idea

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Ah...a revisit years later.

I'd love to hear what you mean by that. What great demographics are in SLC that Atlanta doesn't have?

I think it's more the winter sports aspect that play into the demographics. You got a lot of young people with money in a growing city who engage in winter sports that makes it an attractive market. It's like Denver's little brother.
And what makes you the expert on the subject? Your opinion or fact? Atlanta should never get a team again. But why should SLC get a team over the places I have mentioned? At the end of the day is will always be about growing the brand. A houston vs Dallas rivalry seems natural or even Portland and Seattle. SLC? won't be Vegas or Arizona in my opinion

Pretty funny since SLC took Arizona's team. Ok not so funny if you're an Arizona Coyotes fan.

SLC vs Denver is going to be a GREAT rivalry.

They are pretty low on the list of potential cities that would get teams.

Houston, Portland, Quebec, GTA, KC would all be well ahead of SLC.

SLC For The Win!

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I would rather and have a 4-8 game cycle or some shit(not a math guy sorry) for teams in the NA, and have the top 2 teams seeded in the playoffs

Honestly it’s bound to happen, there’s a lot of money there for the NHL

Back to topic the Mormons would have an extended problem with hockey culture.

I don't think they'll have an issue at all. Look at this guy. I know this guy's happy about hockey coming to SLC.

1:14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad