So what if Pittsburgh wins the lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsbeast*

I know a lot of us will just shake our heads in disbelief, some will cry, others won't care. Either way it would suck if that happens.

My question is, do we still get Pittsburgs pick if they don't win the lottery if they miss the playoffs or do they get to keep it either way unless they make the playoffs?

Thoughts on the different scenarios?

Run705

#705collection
Mar 2, 2011
Ontario
the705collection.com
We don't get the pick if they miss the playoffs.

Maple Leafs (conditional if Penguins qualify for 2016 playoffs)

PICK WOULD NOT TRANSFER BECAUSE PENGUINS HAVE NOT QUALIFIED FOR 2016 PLAYOFFS

Traded • Phil Kessel • Tyler Biggs • Tim Erixon • conditional second round pick (2016 second round if Penguins qualify for 2016 playoffs, 2017 second round if Penguins qualify for 2017 playoffs) (?-?) • cash to Penguins for • Scott Harrington • Kasperi Kapanen • Nick Spaling • conditional draft pick (2016 first round if Penguins qualify for 2016 playoffs, 2017 first round if Penguins qualify for 2017 playoffs, else 2017 second round) (?-?) • 2016 third round pick (?-?) on 2015-07-01

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Penguins.htm

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know a lot of us will just shake our heads in disbelief, some will cry, others won't care. Either way it would suck if that happens.

My question is, do we still get Pittsburgs pick if they don't win the lottery if they miss the playoffs or do they get to keep it either way unless they make the playoffs?

Thoughts on the different scenarios?

If Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, we get their pick, and it won't be in the lottery. Only non-playoff teams are in the lottery.

If Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs then we keep their 2nd round pick they had originally traded to us in the Winnik deal, and we have to hope they make the playoffs next season.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If that 1st round pick turns out to be in 2017 then the 2nd Round pick Pitt gets is Toronto's rather than Pitt getting their own 2016 2nd back. If Toronto doesn't make progress in 2017, those picks may be very close to eachother.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This condition ruined the trade for me.
The fact that they were able to add condition on that 1st is crazy, and lucky for them. Seems like we were the ones going to Pitts and they had us eating out of their hand. (conditional 1st, retention, own 2nd coming back, Skips to 2017 and they get our 2nd [not any 2nd]) Seems like small things, but in the grand scheme of things - it may very well end up being us picking 25-30 in 2017 and them picking 31-36.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This condition ruined the trade for me.
The fact that they were able to add condition on that 1st is crazy, and lucky for them. Seems like we were the ones going to Pitts and they had us eating out of their hand. (conditional 1st, retention, own 2nd coming back, Skips to 2017 and they get our 2nd [not any 2nd]) Seems like small things, but in the grand scheme of things - it may very well end up being us picking 25-30 in 2017 and them picking 31-36.

The condition is

If they make the playoffs this year, we get their 1st, they get back their 2nd

If they fail to make the playoffs, we keep their 2nd this year.

If next year they make the playoffs we just get their 2017 1st and we give them our 2017 2nd If they fail to make the playoffs in 2017, then we just get their 2018 2nd and that's it.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Really what we're hoping for is that the Pens are the lowest seeded playoff team and get eliminated in the first round.

I am just hoping they make it - then atleast we are only giving up a pick 30 places away. (Pitts 2nd)

A bounce back year and mediocre rebuild year from Toronto , would be horrid.
The condition is

If they make the playoffs this year, we get their 1st, they get back their 2nd

If they fail to make the playoffs, we keep their 2nd this year.

If next year they make the playoffs we just get their 2017 1st and that's it. If they fail to make the playoffs in 2017, then we just get their 2018 2nd and that's it.

Only scenario involving a pick going back to Pittsburgh is this year.

That is incorrect, from my knowledge.
If they miss this year - the condition moves to next year with our own 2nd being used, if they make it. If they miss again, then we would only get a 2nd and not give up a pick.

So this year and next have condition of 1st rounder for 2nd rounder swap. With next year being worst case, because we are likely still in build mode and use our 2nd.

Last edited:

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
6 months passed since the trade and some fans still don't know the conditions of the pick?? I mean come on i'm losing it if someone ask this agaiinnn...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am just hoping they make it - then atleast we are only giving up a pick 30 places away. (Pitts 2nd)

A bounce back year and mediocre rebuild year from Toronto , would be horrid.

That is incorrect, from my knowledge.
If they miss this year - the condition moves to next year with our own 2nd being used, if they make it. If they miss again, then we would only get a 2nd and not give up a pick.

So this year and next have condition of 1st rounder for 2nd rounder swap. With next year being worst case, because we are likely still in build mode.

You're right. Edited.

Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive the Penguins’ 2017 first-round pick; with Pittsburgh getting Toronto’s 2017 second-round selection in return.

If they miss it in 2017, then we get their 2018 2nd and that is it.

This is wrong.
We'd have to give up our 2nd in 2017 to get the first, and if they dont the second we get is their 2017

Yep, made the correction.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
You're right. Edited.

Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive the Penguins’ 2017 first-round pick; with Pittsburgh getting Toronto’s 2017 second-round selection in return.

If they miss it in 2017, then we get their 2018 2nd and that is it.

Yep, made the correction.

Which in my mind, makes it very horrid if we don't collect the 1st rounder this year.

I just want them to make the playoffs - no matter the position, we would be promoting our pitts 2nd rounder 30 spots. Whereas, if it skips to next year we could potentially be promoting the pick 5-10 spots.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Which in my mind, makes it very horrid if we don't collect the 1st rounder this year. IMO

I just want them to make the playoffs - no matter the position, we would be promoting our pitts 2nd rounder 30 spots. Whereas, if it skips to next year we could potentially be promoting the pick 5-10 spots.

Well the last year is the absolute worst case scenario, even if it's a crappy bump up in the draft order, it's still a bump, and that usually costs assets.

Overall though if I had to choose, of course we'd get Pittsburgh's 1st this year, hopefully MAF comes back asap for them.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, it's a god damn crying shame there's any conditions attached to that first round pick. It's rookie managing to an embarrassing degree.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This suggests that the OP knows exactly how the conditions on draft pick work:

Then this question :dunno::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad