So, The Great One says that the younger players have to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I love how first Wayne picks an "experience" and "veteran first" squad and screws over younger guys like Phaneuf, Staal, Spezza, Bouwmeester, and even McCabe

Now that Canada is losing with his use of underachieving veterans like Iginla, Sakic, Doan, Draper, Pronger, Foote, St Louis, etc. he still insists on blaming the younger players

Wayne Gretzky is a joke.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
wealthmanager said:
"abject failures?"
First of all, there isn't a team anywhere that could gel with Bertuzzi.
Second of all, the team would have all sorts of chemistry with guys like Phaneuf, stall and Crosby out there because you know they would be going nuts on the ice and it would rub off on the team.

Don't you think Phaneuf throwing one of his monster hits would pump up the team. All Bertuzzi does is pull on the back of guys jerseys and take dumb penalties.

Hockey is Hockey. Basically when you say they should take the most experienced guys you are saying they should take the players who aren't as good, but because of their reputation they should be in.

Pathetic, really.
I don't think you're reading, or able to comprehend my points. I said teams that have ditched their veterans in the past have failed. Refute it. Name me a team that has succeeded with that strategy.

Throwing a big hit is much harder on international ice than regulation NHL ice. It's also much harder when you're facing non-junior players. Phaneuf would struggle to throw big hits. He'd have to adjust his game to rubbing players out along the boards, finishing his checks, strong positional play, etc. Still important contributions from a defenceman, but he wouldn't be throwing the big hits.

In the end, how does Staal change the fact that this team is struggling to play as a team? He doesn't. How does he change this team's perennial struggles to adjust to the international rules? He wouldn't. Staal has never played for Canada at the international level.

If anything, this needs one or two guys who are seasoned playing at the international level for Canada, someone like an Yzerman or a Kariya, or well-versed at playing on the big ice, who has spent the last few years playing in Europe.

When I say they should take the most experienced guys, I'm saying they should take the guys who have been there before, who have won before, and who have been good enough to win before. I don't know about you, but at this point in history, in a short tournament like this, I'd rather have a tried, tested and true winner like Ryan Smyth, who can play in all situations, and bring leadership (only fools underestimate the value of leadership), than Staal, a franchise player in the making, but who needs to play in a World Championship or two, since he never had the opportunity to play the international game as a junior.

This team is 2-2 with back-to-back shutout losses with Eric Staal. Staal is not be the cure for Canada's problems.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
As a Pittsburgh fan, I can tell you that it was a big mistake leaving Crosby off the team. He's so fast, it's scary to think what he might be capable of with all that open ice.

We'll see in four years I guess.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Canadians could spend days arguing who should have made the team and who is a bust.. how Phaneuf >>>>>>> God, but at the end of the day this team should still be favoured for gold. It's going to take a team effort, adding Staal or Spezza won't make as big of a difference as everyone hypes it up. If/when Team CAN gels they are the team to beat so now it's just time to sit back and wait.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
kovy1335 said:
As a Pittsburgh fan, I can tell you that it was a big mistake leaving Crosby off the team. He's so fast, it's scary to think what he might be capable of with all that open ice.

We'll see in four years I guess.

Yes, four years from now will be the approriate time to see Crosby in the Olympics. He is a tad too young and inexperience. There are also other guys who are more worthy and prooven then him to be in the olympics. One season honestly doesnt mean anything. The kid is already under too much pressure and receiving the brunt of it from the media. He doesnt need more of it. And believe me when I tell you if he was there right now he'd be criticized ALOT. And this is coming from someone who actually likes Crosby so dont attack me.

wholeshow*

don't look for thornton to do anything. he's the most useless "star" player in big game situations. utter garbage...and he's dragging a few good players down with him too. :shakehead

wholeshow*

Ovechkin8 said:
Canadians could spend days arguing who should have made the team and who is a bust.. how Phaneuf >>>>>>> God, but at the end of the day this team should still be favoured for gold. It's going to take a team effort, adding Staal or Spezza won't make as big of a difference as everyone hypes it up. If/when Team CAN gels they are the team to beat so now it's just time to sit back and wait.

yup, so it's all pat quinn's fault. most overrated coach in the nhl. does he even have a system? never won a cup in his long career...yet he gets selected over half a dozen more qualified guys because of the simple fact that he's toronta's coach.
the canadians have NO answer to breaking the trap, they have a terrible power play...these are all quinn's fault.

in the end, if canada doesn't win. i'm blaming quinn, and gretzky for picking that clown.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
I have feeling this is all a show by team Canada. They will make you think they suck until they win the gold. There is a lot of pressure on these guys. Here are the options if they lose in Q, the next 4 years will be hell in Canada. If they lose get spot 2 or 3 then there will be less of a hell in Canada but still the next 4 years they will be talking about getting the gold back and “its our gameâ€. So the only option for them is to win or else you may as well live in USA during the summer for the next 4 years.

It comes down to live in the USA for the next 4 years or win it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad