So... how do you spend YOUR Trade Deadline Day? - 2016 Edition

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Well after some guy stole my premise last year for a thread, following doing this for a few years, I've started a bit early this go around.

Last year I was in Scotland for the deadline, so it was a bit different... this year, life is more than a bit different. I gave up my career so I could go back to school and pursue a career in Sport Management, so I'm living in a new city (St. Catharines, ON), and am a full time student for the first time in over a decade.

That said, you gotta have your traditions... and Trade Deadline Day is one of mine. So here goes.

8:00am - Wake up to the sound of..... nothing. My inner clock has me up at 8am every day now. Fear I'm getting too old for this Trade Deadline business. Become instantly defensive. My cat looks at my judgmentally. I respond the only way I can.

NSFW

8:45am - Complete shower, change, make the bed, and start brewing my coffee. Admire how clean my apartment is, and revel in how prim and proper this trade deadline will be.

1318880019_the-men-behind-the-men_9.jpg

9:00am - Take my first sip of coffee. Realize it's more whiskey than coffee. Realize I may not be quite as prim and proper as I'd thought.

manandwine_625b0.jpg

10:30am - Log into HF Boards. Begin to attempt to rationalize why Roman Polak is deserving of a 1st round pick. Catch myself and realize I'd better start skipping the whiskey in my coffee.... and replace it if Absinthe if I really want to convince myself.

Absynthe-and-hallucinations.jpeg

12:00pm - Few deals, so hit up Netflix on my laptop. Realize that Absinthe hallucinations are real on trade deadline day.

godfather_lou-640x360.jpg

12:30pm - Realize sustenance required. Start cooking up some honey garlic wings in the oven. Just a few though...

d4a629ad6871c17c5e8fc7a23bca84af.jpg

12:35pm - Wings not enough. Working in a hot sauce store, I pull out my A game.... my Carolina Reaper (aka the hottest pepper in the world) hot sauce and douse liberally.

Carolina_Reaper_pepper_pods-620x391.jpg

12:40pm - Realize the Reaper sauce was a bad idea.

Hgchn.jpg

12:45pm - Become incredibly grateful for streaming technologies.

joyful-guy-working-laptop-toilet-isolated-white-background-50388762.jpg

1:15pm - Recover from prior mistake. Turn on TSN to find a stupid Llama. Instantly change to Sportsnet to avoid such nonsense. Find Caroline Cameron. Immediate smile ensues.

maxresdefault.jpg

2:00pm - One hour to the deadline. Garth Snow deals Travis Hamonic for Jacob Trouba proving the Islanders can make a smart trade. Somewhere, Mike Milbury dies a little inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

3:00pm - Bells go off. No more deals, and no more first round picks for the Leafs. Blue and White Nation crash NHL.com searching for where Pittsburgh sits in the standings after the Kessel trade.

business-man-looking-screen-laptop-computer-shocked-up-adult-upset-expression-tired-work-39603745.jpg

4:00pm - All is said and done, and nothing to wait for but the draft. Consider abandoning all things hockey and becoming highly emotionally invested in badminton if the Oilers win 1st overall again.

hqdefault.jpg

So... how do you spend YOUR Trade Deadline day?

Last edited by a moderator:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
working. trade deadline is boring. dont want to see idiots eating pizza all day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I make sure that I'm able to stay home so I get up before 8:00 AM and watch TSN all day. I'm sure it will be the usual of no trades until after 1:00 PM, along with me saying when will the Leafs do something, followed by wishing me wishing the trade deadline won't end because they won't happen again until the draft in June.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wake up at 8am - go workout

Home by 10-1030 - Immediatley make egg sammy's, bacon and coffee

11am - onwards - do school work, do work work, play EHM, and watch TradeCenter

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wake up at around 8:30ish. Struggle to open my eyes because it's ****ing 8:30. When I do manage to open them, I immediately look to my phone and go on twitter for updates. Looking at every analyst's twitter, every sports twitter etc. Once I find out what has or hasn't happened, I get dressed, get my parents coffee, go to Starbucks to get something to drink and maybe breakfast, come back home, and work out. I have the TDL TSN show in the background while I do a 40 minute workout, then I make some food, go back to the room where I had it on, eat and then come on here where I talk about potential trades and talk about trades that already happened.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Phone, checking updates at lunch and when I got home. I would like to watch it, but it's dead most of the time anyways.

FA Frenzy and Draft is much better, and I can watch them in their entirety. At least there trades of all sizes are very likely, and if they don't happen, you've got drafting and signings to watch out for.

I'm just waiting for another couple of trades before the TDL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Same as always

If I'm sitting in front of a computer, I'm getting paid for it. Only difference, I may turn the tv on as well.

This day is such a non event.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I basically make coffee, put the TV on either TSN or Sportsnet and flip back and forth while monitoring HF boards. I pretty much stay in that mode until an hour or two after the deadline in case of late trades and to hear the analysis.

I really enjoyed the original post Tribal, very cute.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm going to be at work, just checking.
deadline day has become sooo boring.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Same as Free agency day these days.

Years ago I user to make a big event of these days. But I learned nothing ever happens.

I do take the day off of work, who does not like a long weekend. I will probably play some Xbox One, snap in the TV on the screen so I can keep an eye on things and tell the wife to leave me alone. lol

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
LOL @ op.
1.6% of salaries moved last year.
Yawn.

I work now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
:handclap: To the OPs post :handclap:

Alarm goes off and so does my phone

Bacon,eggs and hashers with a cup of joe

Tsn as primary with SN as commercial clicker

curse out HF for the lag and crashes

case of colds ready to go

3 lbs of Jamaican jerk chicken and home made chip dip ready at hand

12 hrs of eat,drink and hockey talk merry
5 advil + faceplant

next day come here

will need assistance regarding what happened yesterday

oh and pray that I did not get banned :naughty:

so in other words, another national holiday well spent:laugh:

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't mind the deadline shows. I also don't expect much to happen. I got that day off this year and so does my wife.

Will probably play / watch cartoons with my daughter till noonish while scanning over news on my phone. Then ill let my wife take over, retreat into the bedroom to watch it on TV for the remainder, and if it gets really boring during that time, nap.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Work from home, so I watch TSN. A very unproductive day lol.

I also make sure all meetings are in the morning that day :-p

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad