OT: So How Are You Guys Holding Up?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I still don't get how deep fried chicken is such a big deal when Barbecue is so much better. Could never understand the popularity and now with about 10 different fried chicken chains. Really to me its absurd. Taking poultry, which is healthy to consume, and finding the worst possible way to prepare it which then renders it unhealthy. Yet these are the most popular fast food chains. Boggles the mind.
Americans deep fry everything

7yYRzuB7rn8L1LR3LHwJXltgE_A=.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Americans deep fry everything

7yYRzuB7rn8L1LR3LHwJXltgE_A=.gif
I don't even own a deep fryer. Thats how disinterested I am in the "culinary skill" heh

I think I owned one once in my life and just to make fries or battered fish. That was before technology prevailed with better air frying innovation.

Air fryer for the win. Might be another couple decades before fast food places think of using superior air fryers. Until that time I'll use at home.

Used to be a place at Capilano mall that had great air fried chicken. It closed up. People were too busy going to dreck like KFC.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't even own a deep fryer. Thats how disinterested I am in the "culinary skill" heh

I think I owned one once in my life and just to make fries or battered fish.

Air fryer for the win. Might be another couple decades before fast food places think of using superior air fryers. Until that time I'll use at home.

Used to be a place at Capilano mall that had great air fried chicken. It closed up. People were too busy going to dreck like KFC.
Agreed.

Air fried chicken wings is the best.

Might have to have some soon. Maybe when the Oilers start playing

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My sympathies. This probably coincides with school starting that your kid got it. That doesn't hold good portent for our whole communities that numbers will be shooting up again. Likelihood is it will spread in your family now. Could be weeks before everybody is recovered. Even with immunization I found the illness is days to a week. Sometimes with some after effects. Hang in there.

Congrats and get better soon.

Every time I hear someone getting Covid on here it shocks me. Especially if they have kids. Most people with kids have already gotten Covid ages ago. Hope it runs through your house quickly and quietly.

At least no one needs to quarantine anymore so as long as it isn't serious no missed school or work.

Thank you both for the congrats and well wishes. Currently, no symptoms for anyone else but it's only day two with him. He's still running hot but not as hot. Hasn't eaten anything since Friday night, despite trying to get him to at least have some soup so obviously he's really weak. Plus he's the FUSSIEST & PICKIEST eater so that compounds the issue. Just trying to get him to keep fluids up right now.

This is round 2 as well for our house as it hit us back in January...but the damndest thing was then is my daughter brought it home and was mildly sick, I had mild to few symptoms, it flattened the wife for several days but my boy tested negative the whole time, despite not isolating from each other and he had a slight fever one day and cold symptoms. I used three different tests from three different boxes...so 🤷.

Since it was likely Omicron then and this is a subvariant, I'm hoping we all stay symptom free and the boy kicks it quickly.

He's starting junior high this year so way more kids plus going from class to class to class means more bugs.

On the plus side, where I'm going is super accommodating and I don't start until the 26th. I have so much AV to burn with my soon to be old job, I'm technically on the payroll until the 8th so if need be, I could probably push my start date back a week in a worst case scenario.

@tardigrade81 thanks buddy, how's your family doing with it...still fighting or over it?

I still don't get how deep fried chicken is such a big deal when Barbecue is so much better. Could never understand the popularity and now with about 10 different fried chicken chains. Really to me its absurd. Taking poultry, which is healthy to consume, and finding the worst possible way to prepare it which then renders it unhealthy. Yet these are the most popular fast food chains. Boggles the mind.
I do not disagree. Barbecue or rotisserie over fried anyday. I don't have an air fryer yet. My kitchen is too small to house another appliance as much as I'd love to get one.

But we're also in a society who has found a way to deep fry Oreos and ice cream.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thank you both for the congrats and well wishes. Currently, no symptoms for anyone else but it's only day two with him. He's still running hot but not as hot. Hasn't eaten anything since Friday night, despite trying to get him to at least have some soup so obviously he's really weak. Plus he's the FUSSIEST & PICKIEST eater so that compounds the issue. Just trying to get him to keep fluids up right now.

This is round 2 as well for our house as it hit us back in January...but the damndest thing was then is my daughter brought it home and was mildly sick, I had mild to few symptoms, it flattened the wife for several days but my boy tested negative the whole time, despite not isolating from each other and he had a slight fever one day and cold symptoms. I used three different tests from three different boxes...so 🤷.

Since it was likely Omicron then and this is a subvariant, I'm hoping we all stay symptom free and the boy kicks it quickly.

He's starting junior high this year so way more kids plus going from class to class to class means more bugs.

On the plus side, where I'm going is super accommodating and I don't start until the 26th. I have so much AV to burn with my soon to be old job, I'm technically on the payroll until the 8th so if need be, I could probably push my start date back a week in a worst case scenario.

@tardigrade81 thanks buddy, how's your family doing with it...still fighting or over it?
Hows the kid with Ice Cream? Or some kind of treat. Parents get worried about the non eating but its actually fluids that are more important and staying hydrated. Plenty of water, have some popsicles on hand as well. I haven't known many kids to refuse one. The solid food will take awhile to get used to again. In the meantime a good chicken broth clear, or maybe with some peas, celery in... Gatorade not a bad option either.

One of the chief symptoms being reported in latest variants is how difficult it is to swallow when you have it. So that you just don't feel like eating and with taste differences and stomach uneasiness you just don't want to eat. Swallowing anything just seemed difficult for about 4 days when the wife and I had this.

Before you get ill I'd pop out to the store and get a lot of broth. Even maybe V8. I was living on that kind of stuff for days. Bananas good as well. The same kind of things you consume with stomach flu seem to be OK with Covid.

Take care.

edit to edit. You'll like the Airfryer. We've just resigned to having some culinary clutter. heh, they don't make kitchens big enough. To me its the most important room in a house, and a lot of the houses my age they were underestimating how much people would use kitchens. The only thing I don't like about our house is kitchen is too small.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hows the kid with Ice Cream? Or some kind of treat. Parents get worried about the non eating but its actually fluids that are more important and staying hydrated. Plenty of water, have some popsicles on hand as well. I haven't known many kids to refuse one. The solid food will take awhile to get used to again. In the meantime a good chicken broth clear, or maybe with some peas, celery in... Gatorade not a bad option either.

One of the chief symptoms being reported in latest variants is how difficult it is to swallow when you have it. So that you just don't feel like eating and with taste differences and stomach uneasiness you just don't want to eat. Swallowing anything just seemed difficult for about 4 days when the wife and I had this.

Before you get ill I'd pop out to the store and get a lot of broth. Even maybe V8. I was living on that kind of stuff for days. Bananas good as well. The same kind of things you consume with stomach flu seem to be OK with Covid.

Take care.
Yep, I wasn't worried about the non-eating yesterday, just made him drink water and we have Gatorade on hand too. He hates ice cream. Has never liked it...what kid says no ice cream? This one-lol. Popsicles he'll have when he's sick and he likes Mr.Freeze freezies but now that September is here, the stores don't stock them anymore. He also hates bananas, hates yogurt...likes raspberries and strawberries though. Never thought of V8, that's a great suggestion. Even if he doesn't like it, I'll drink it. We have the "chicken in a mug" stuff as well. I just made him a simple smoothie though, took one sip and turned his nose up. So f*** I don't know.

He better find and meet the most patient woman in the world one day, because if he doesn't he's probably going to get murdered over his fussiness lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep, I wasn't worried about the non-eating yesterday, just made him drink water and we have Gatorade on hand too. He hates ice cream. Has never liked it...what kid says no ice cream? This one-lol. Popsicles he'll have when he's sick and he likes Mr.Freeze freezies but now that September is here, the stores don't stock them anymore. He also hates bananas, hates yogurt...likes raspberries and strawberries though. Never thought of V8, that's a great suggestion. Even if he doesn't like it, I'll drink it. We have the "chicken in a mug" stuff as well. I just made him a simple smoothie though, took one sip and turned his nose up. So f*** I don't know.

He better find and meet the most patient woman in the world one day, because if he doesn't he's probably going to get murdered over his fussiness lol.
Fortunately a lot of picky kid eaters grow out of this sort of thing but some don't. The ice cream thing got a giggle out of me. Like how does he not like ice cream. heh.

I have a lot of raspberries out of the garden. Frozen. too bad we're not closer by. heh hopefully you have some berries in the freezer or something. At least he likes berries.

Hope you all pull through this asap

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

I do not disagree. Barbecue or rotisserie over fried anyday. I don't have an air fryer yet. My kitchen is too small to house another appliance as much as I'd love to get one.

But we're also in a society who has found a way to deep fry Oreos and ice cream.
They are doing much better man. Leah is still lacking energy but that could be from pregnancy I’m not too sure. Being preggos and catching covid was brutal on her! But she seems to be doing good now. Ayden as well

I’m a little sad but that’s because I’m watching this train wreck of a colts game. My god this half is pathetic. Making me sick lol

Reactions: LaGu and Drivesaitl

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022

I think I owned one once in my life and just to make fries or battered fish. That was before technology prevailed with better air frying innovation.

I am with you. I make my chicken in my air fryer or oven. Same with wings, etc. Even fries. My mom would never fry anything when we were younger and I just got accustomed to it. I have ate KFC, but not that much. Too much oil.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Fortunately a lot of picky kid eaters grow out of this sort of thing but some don't. The ice cream thing got a giggle out of me. Like how does he not like ice cream. heh.

I have a lot of raspberries out of the garden. Frozen. too bad we're not closer by. heh hopefully you have some berries in the freezer or something. At least he likes berries.

Thanks for offering up some berries, I'd have definitely bought some from you if I was closer for sure especially when most of the summer Raspberries are around $9 for a double pint pack. $9 for raspberries. The sticker shock never resolves itself for me on that one. I have a few bushes out front that produce a bit but not as much as I'd hoped four years later after planting. I think my soil really sucks. I've never tested it but the lawn is usually about a D- too. I've tried all kinds of stuff to get them to spread out more and produce but no luck.

I went out and got some V8. He tried some and I shouldn't be surprised by this but he really likes it. The stuff you think he'll love he hates, the stuff most kids would hate, he loves. Think I'd know this by now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for offering up some berries, I'd have definitely bought some from you if I was closer for sure especially when most of the summer Raspberries are around $9 for a double pint pack. $9 for raspberries. The sticker shock never resolves itself for me on that one. I have a few bushes out front that produce a bit but not as much as I'd hoped four years later after planting. I think my soil really sucks. I've never tested it but the lawn is usually about a D- too. I've tried all kinds of stuff to get them to spread out more and produce but no luck.

I went out and got some V8. He tried some and I shouldn't be surprised by this but he really likes it. The stuff you think he'll love he hates, the stuff most kids would hate, he loves. Think I'd know this by now.
I can't say what varietals of raspberries we have as we transplanted about 10 canes originally from Dads place. They grow like crazy in the Millhood and the only problem being we have to dig them back or they would take over the whole garden. The one proviso is they like a mix with shade. They do not require or want full sun exposure. Raspberries seem to grow best next to fences and with fences that offer a bit of shade. For instance South shaded side property line fences. I swear they grow in almost total shade. We have one spot where Raspberries try to grow in total sun and they hate it there. Other than that they don't require watering except for when new canes are taking hold. Some people run into problems when they prune them too much. We try to leave them be. Eventually we take out the old growth. Raspberries are of course perennials but the canes are not. I think they work on one fruiting year per cane and one growing year per cane. So that this years bare cans are next years fruiting canes. I think they like slightly acidic soil because they seem to do better where Evergreens have been.

I don't think its your soil, Raspberries seem to do ok even in sandy or clay like soil. Its probably where they are situated. Also Raspberries don't like being tugged on. If you have a big dog or active kids that tear on things the canes do break. You kind of have to be gentle with them. You do have to dig the original canes deep. I prefer around a foot deep. Deeper then one would expect. One last thing is that raspberries love mulch cover. So just throw grass clippings around them which prevents weed growth and the new canes just shoot through that ground cover I hate to mention this part, but I've seen people do it. They mistake the new cane shoots for weeds and keep pulling them out. Don't do that. heh Raspberry rooting structure is all connected so you can kill off plants by too exuberant pulling of shoots. I dig the ones I don't want out carefully. Bit of a mess when they grow out on the lawn..

I would give you the berries for free. Right now I have fresh berry canes out back with a take for free sign (I do this twice a year) to anybody that wants em. I have to dig them up anyway as they constantly encroach my garden space. Its nuts that garden shops charge around 10bucks a cane and that pints of raspberries cost so much for a pint. We have 45 freezer bags of the stuff. I couldn't even use up all the 2021 supply. Raspberries are easy to pick and flash freeze. No way they should cost as much here. They are a perfect berry crop for our climate zone.

Last edited:

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

I was definitely picky when I was really young. I couldn't eat my mom's pasta sauce because I didn't like the ground beef, tomato chunks, onions, peppers, ect and only ate my sauce plain with nothing in it. I had a lot of trouble choking down whatever my grandma would feed me on a Sunday evening too lol.

Nowadays? I can eat just about anything. I've eaten haggis a couple times and quite liked it. I also love all things spicy, whether it be Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, ect. I find that there's a lot of nice flavors that come with heat.

I suppose one of the stranger things about me is the fact that I don't really like sweets in big quantities. I can eat lots of candy but I'm not crazy about baked rich deserts. If I'm offered a brownie, I only take a little with a lot of ice cream if it's available.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Take care.

edit to edit. You'll like the Airfryer. We've just resigned to having some culinary clutter. heh, they don't make kitchens big enough. To me its the most important room in a house, and a lot of the houses my age they were underestimating how much people would use kitchens. The only thing I don't like about our house is kitchen is too small.
My air fryer is probably my most used appliance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was definitely picky when I was really young. I couldn't eat my mom's pasta sauce because I didn't like the ground beef, tomato chunks, onions, peppers, ect and only ate my sauce plain with nothing in it. I had a lot of trouble choking down whatever my grandma would feed me on a Sunday evening too lol.

Nowadays? I can eat just about anything. I've eaten haggis a couple times and quite liked it. I also love all things spicy, whether it be Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, ect. I find that there's a lot of nice flavors that come with heat.

I suppose one of the stranger things about me is the fact that I don't really like sweets in big quantities. I can eat lots of candy but I'm not crazy about baked rich deserts. If I'm offered a brownie, I only take a little with a lot of ice cream if it's available.
I'd be slurping that down and asking for seconds. I'd lick the plate clean. hehe

That said, and won't be a popular opinion here, I prefer to use ground poultry, either turkey or Chicken, over ground beef. blasphemy to say in Alberta, I realize...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My air fryer is probably my most used appliance.
Mine is also a steamer, pressure cooker, slow cooker, roaster, and some things I don't even know it does yet. I'm on my second one. This one is somewhat better designed. I don't think they've made the perfect one yet unless anybody has found it. I've got a Ninja now.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I'd be slurping that down and asking for seconds. I'd lick the plate clean. hehe

That said, and won't be a popular opinion here, I prefer to use ground poultry, either turkey or Chicken, over ground beef. blasphemy to say in Alberta, I realize...;)
I am with you once again. When I go out to a restaurant, I will order a beef burger or eat fast food here and there. Not much.

At home, I always use ground chicken. I love making pasta sauce with onions, green peppers, ground chicken optional. I used to eat it plain, but my wife has got me to be a little more open to things lol.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Son started coughing a ton last yesterday. Took him to the doctor as he was having trouble breathing. Has croup. They gave him a steroid. Helped a bit but now he’s back to trouble breathing and coughing. We are at the hospital waiting for the doctor.

Good lord I hate viruses. So annoying

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Son started coughing a ton last yesterday. Took him to the doctor as he was having trouble breathing. Has croup. They gave him a steroid. Helped a bit but now he’s back to trouble breathing and coughing. We are at the hospital waiting for the doctor.

I'm an outsider here but I'm so sorry to hear this. My little one has a cold but it's nothing compared to what yours is going through. God bless you, brother.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Sounds like the one I had recently. I got Covid in January and I thought I had it again over a month ago. I coughed , coughed, and coughed some more. I tried to get a steriod inhaler as well but they didnt give one and hospital waits in these parts are 12-30 hours to see a Dr in Emergency. Im not kidding is the worst part
Good luck. It took me 2 complete weeks to get over it. Very frustrating. Covid was easier

• Wow
Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Mine is also a steamer, pressure cooker, slow cooker, roaster, and some things I don't even know it does yet. I'm on my second one. This one is somewhat better designed. I don't think they've made the perfect one yet unless anybody has found it. I've got a Ninja now.
We have a Double Ninja at our Mens Sports Club here. Replaced the Deep Fryer. Man, what a difference in the taste of food. I love it. Im not a big fan of microwaving food as well so the Air Fryer does that. I found with the deep fryed food, u only acquire taste when the grease is weeks old. Much healthier eating those Chicken Wings with Air Fryer. Cant quit eating wings

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I'm an outsider here but I'm so sorry to hear this. My little one has a cold but it's nothing compared to what yours is going through. God bless you, brother.
Thanks my man. Colds in general just sucks. Hope your little one gets better soon!

Sounds like the one I had recently. I got Covid in January and I thought I had it again over a month ago. I coughed , coughed, and coughed some more. I tried to get a steriod inhaler as well but they didnt give one and hospital waits in these parts are 12-30 hours to see a Dr in Emergency. Im not kidding is the worst part
Good luck. It took me 2 complete weeks to get over it. Very frustrating. Covid was easier
Ugh so frustrating man!!!!! Hospitals are brutal for the wait time. We were there about 2 hours. Lucky I think they got us in a bit quicker because he’s so young and had trouble breathing. My wife had to get her Gallbladder out a few years ago and was in pain. They made her wait 7 hours it was insane.

2 weeks is a long time man to get over anything ugh. I had covid about a month ago and it took a while to get over it, then felt better and a day later got a Vasectomy lmfao. That was a rough couple weeks 😂 😂

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So educate me on these air fryers. We rarely eat fried foods, so have never really considered one. Our go to device is an electric frying pan, which we cook our three primary foods- skinless chicken breasts, fish and ground beef. Also have a rice cooker. Would any of those be better in an air fryer?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So educate me on these air fryers. We rarely eat fried foods, so have never really considered one. Our go to device is an electric frying pan, which we cook our three primary foods- skinless chicken breasts, fish and ground beef. Also have a rice cooker. Would any of those be better in an air fryer?
This depends on how hooked one is to the "fat tastes good" mindset.

For me I love air frying and think all of Chicken, pork, fish etc tastes better in air fryer. i think french fries are better in an air fryer. But other people like KFC, other people like deep fried everything. It depends on the person. The benefits of an air fryer are obvious. For one you don't need a big vat of oil. you don't have the big risk of a potential oil fire. You have an appliance that is portable and you can use outside on hot days. you have the benefit of an appliance you can use unattended.

Proviso that most air fryer recipes use slight amount of oil, maybe tablespoon, just to coat. I do think the flavor of meats, veggies is better in an air fryer. You can also make cakes in them. Mine is also a slow cooker, pressure cooker, several options. Like others have mentioned it becomes an alternate way of making foods you already consume. People will use it to make anything from egg rolls to pizza to TV dinners to popcorn lol

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Thanks my man. Colds in general just sucks. Hope your little one gets better soon!

Ugh so frustrating man!!!!! Hospitals are brutal for the wait time. We were there about 2 hours. Lucky I think they got us in a bit quicker because he’s so young and had trouble breathing. My wife had to get her Gallbladder out a few years ago and was in pain. They made her wait 7 hours it was insane.

2 weeks is a long time man to get over anything ugh. I had covid about a month ago and it took a while to get over it, then felt better and a day later got a Vasectomy lmfao. That was a rough couple weeks 😂 😂
I got a funny one for ya cause sounds like ya need a laugh and trust me, things will get better for ya. There is always darkness before sunshine

When I had my nuts done (I hate the V word) , they sent me outta the hospital all drugged up with wife and give me some pain killers and told me to put frozen pee’s on my nut sack. When I got home, I had my own pain killers, a big triple paper joint. I smoked that , put the pee’s on my sack and passed out. Few hours later I woke up and I could feel all this crap in my butt crack. The bag of pee’s had a small rip in it and the pee’s rolled outta the bag and down my butt check and thawed out. Pee soup for everyone. What a mess
True Story

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I got a funny one for ya cause sounds like ya need a laugh and trust me, things will get better for ya. There is always darkness before sunshine

When I had my nuts done (I hate the V word) , they sent me outta the hospital all drugged up with wife and give me some pain killers and told me to put frozen pee’s on my nut sack. When I got home, I had my own pain killers, a big triple paper joint. I smoked that , put the pee’s on my sack and passed out. Few hours later I woke up and I could feel all this crap in my butt crack. The bag of pee’s had a small rip in it and the pee’s rolled outta the bag and down my butt check and thawed out. Pee soup for everyone. What a mess
True Story
Lmao omg hahahahaahhahahaha!!!!! Man that’s brutal 😂 😂 😂 I really hope nobody ate those peas after 🤢 🤢

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad