So Fedorov is fired in the KHL, is there any chance he'll get job in the NHL?

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Federov is a hockey genius. It would be interesting to see how he would do as a coach in the NHL. Maybe he can get Bure to be on his coaching staff. 🤫

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
gotta get all three

1711656930084.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He won 2 Cups in Russia as CSKA's head coach. And he's an NHL legend.
Doesn't CSKA have a huge competitive advantage in the KHL?

As a Hawks fans whose team Feds absolutely TORCHED on a regular basis, I think the SF is one of the most underrated players of all time. That being said - he seemed to me to be the ultra-skilled type of player who would struggle make the transition to coach.

Yes, though I still doubt he would get outright hired as a head coach. But as an associate, with the promise of getting the nod in the future.

Coaches are not hired into the NHL because of merit, but because of connections. Otherwise guys like Rikard Grönborg or Jukka Jalonen would've been given a chance already. A former NHLer has an easier time getting into a position to succeed, but still not hired straight to the NHL job I would have to imagine.
As a fan of a team who gave Alpo Suhonen a chance - I would disagree! ;o)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
As a Hawks fans whose team Feds absolutely TORCHED on a regular basis, I think the SF is one of the most underrated players of all time. That being said - he seemed to me to be the ultra-skilled type of player who would struggle make the transition to coach.
??? He was a very hard worker

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
He won 2 Cups in Russia as CSKA's head coach. And he's an NHL legend.
Does he want to come back to the NHL? Also Wayne Gretzky was sort of an NHL legend and look at his coaching record and Patrick Roy is all over the place as a coach. Very few times do great players make good coaches

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Fedorov won 2 cups in KHL with a team that was built by previous coach Nikitin. I don’t think he’s a really good coach.
In addition, for some reason it turns out that attacking players do not become good coaches and, on the contrary, players who were tough and defensive minded become successful coaches.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No iron curtain for a while, but even "semi european" Ralph Krueger failed

I'm sure it's more about old boys club mentality and language barrier than actual coaching talent.

The day will come where there will be more diversity in the front office and coaching staff.

Reactions: luiginb

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
??? He was a very hard worker
Agreed on SF being incredibly hard working. But so was Wayne Gretzky, and he was a terrible coach. I just feel that those uber-skilled players don't necessarily make the best coaches because what made them so successful isn't able to be "translated" to be players who don't have those skills.

Reactions: luiginb

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Fedorov won 2 cups in KHL with a team that was built by previous coach Nikitin. I don’t think he’s a really good coach.
In addition, for some reason it turns out that attacking players do not become good coaches and, on the contrary, players who were tough and defensive minded become successful coaches.

I mean I get what you are saying but Feds isn't really a good example of an attacking only player. He was a Selke winner and good enough defensively that the greatest coach of all times occasionally played him for shifts on defense.

What I will say is great players with high hockey IQ often struggle because they see and did a lot of things on instinct and struggle to relate to players without that high of an IQ, thus making them bad coaches. You have to be able to breakdown and explain to a common denominator level and a lot of these super star players simply can't do that.

I think it's why we see more star players succeed as GMs vs coaches because they don't have to explain what to do. They simply need to be able to evaluate and work a cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad