So far the playoffs been surprising

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Isles were better than the Canes in game 2? Was there another game 2 the rest of us don't know about that you're referring to?

They got an earl 3-0 lead... yes... that was the first 25 minutes. There was another 35 that needed to be played as well. Take a look at the game stats and tell us again how the Isles played better... wtf
also quite debatable that they were better in game 1 or even that much better for the first 25 minutes... I think the Canes have looked quite a bit better for like 85% of gameplay so far.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I’d say there’s 14 really good teams and a couple of good ones. The Islanders and Capitals.

We don't have to pretend that the Capitals are good until they actually win a game, IMO.

Nothing against them, I'm actively rooting for them to at least make a series out of it, but WC2 in the East just isn't in the same league as the rest of the field.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think, in every single series there been surprises
(i could use a Maple Leafs pun here, but... over used pun is over used pun and i think Leafs and their fans deserve better)

Stars?... wtf... 2 home games, 2 losses to Vegas
Rangers are struggling vs Capitals, yes they lead 2-zip but Rangers have not impressed me, they have not played well
Jets D and G, their strength's, been their weaknesses so far, i don't think WPG nor COL goes far at these playoffs
Canucks.. oh no...what ya doing? Nashville might be wanting more the W
Islanders been the better team in both games vs 'Canes, but personal errors has cost Isles 2 games
Oilers Oilers Oilers... every year, at some point you fail, this time the 1st round?, Kings recovered fast from game #1
Honestly.. i thought Panthers would destroy Tampa... 2 x 1 goal W's... not good enough for a long playoff run
Boston vs Toronto, surprising that Bruins have the lead? no, surprising how Leafs have played? yes and no,
surprising that Marchard been the most talked player in this series? no, - okay.. there's nothing surprising in this one
The isles were not better than carolina at all in game 2.

Did you watch that game? They got a couple lucky goals, but were utterly dominated. They had more icings than shots on goal in the 3rd. They barely touched the puck for 40 min lol

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Vegas who got some players back right for the beginning of the playoffs, so their regular season results barely are relevant.

The one aspect I am surprised about is the ability of their players to come back from injury and instantly play at a playoff level. From a conditioning and competitive standpoint, I don't think it's easy at all.

You can practice all you want but it's not the same as in-game competition.

I've seen plenty of players in the past who have missed large parts of the season before returning and they never really catch up again until the following year.

I’d say there’s 14 really good teams and a couple of good ones. The Islanders and Capitals.

Two of the oldest teams in the league.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
(i could use a Maple Leafs pun here, but... over used pun is over used pun and i think Leafs and their fans deserve better)

Rangers are struggling vs Capitals, yes they lead 2-zip but Rangers have not impressed me, they have not played well
Jets D and G, their strength's, been their weaknesses so far, i don't think WPG nor COL goes far at these playoffs
Islanders been the better team in both games vs 'Canes, but personal errors has cost Isles 2 games
Oilers Oilers Oilers... every year, at some point you fail, this time the 1st round?, Kings recovered fast from game #1
Honestly.. i thought Panthers would destroy Tampa... 2 x 1 goal W's... not good enough for a long playoff run
Boston vs Toronto, surprising that Bruins have the lead? no, surprising how Leafs have played? yes and no,
surprising that Marchard been the most talked player in this series? no, - okay.. there's nothing surprising in this one

The Stars are maybe the only surprising one here, but everyone knew the Knights would be trouble for any team. Gaining 20m in players, reigning cup champs.

The Rangers have been a mediocre 5v5 team all year

Both the Jets and Avs are really good teams

Canucks have been much better than Nashville statistically but they've lost their star goalie, how do you think any team would do without a top 5 goalie in the league?

The Canes were much better than the Isles outside of the first period of game 2

The Oilers have famously bad D outside of one pairing, and shaky goaltending while the Kings are one of the toughest teams in the league to play against.

The Leafs were much better than the Bruins through the first two games, but also it's the Leafs and the Bruins had home ice advantage.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Huh? Series is 1-1. Oilers nearly beat the Kings in game two while playing dreadful hockey much of the game.
Plus so far it's almost identical as last year. Although to me that is a bit shocking. I thought with upgraded D systems we would at least keep the GA down but it's worse than ever

Last edited:
Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Rempe and Reaves have 1 goal and 1 assist
Nylander, Marner and Tavares have 1 goal and 1 assist

As a Leafs fan I'm just glad we made it to game 3 without being eliminated

Why the hell you throwing Nylander's name in there when he hasn't played a game :laugh:

Reactions: HabsQC

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Surprises-
Capitals made the playoffs
Dallas down 2-0
Lightning haven't won a game yet
Nashville has a real shot at beating Vancouver now that Demko is out

Not surprises-
Leafs/Bruins tightly contested
Islanders and Caps look like they're being fast tracked to the golf course
Stone is cured and can play in the playoffs

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think there's been any significant surprises really to be honest. The bigger surprise is the lack of surprises - usually you expect some in the playoffs.

Vegas being up 2-0 is only a surprise to anyone who haven't full grasped how good that team is healthy, but I don't blame people since we never saw that in the regular season. They're better than what they had last year if you ask me.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Plus so far it's almost identical as last year. Although to me that is a bit shocking. I thought with upgraded D systems we would at least keep the GA but it's worse than ever
I don’t think it’s really surprising that the Oilers D and goaltending are struggling even though it’s early days. Still lots of time to tighten up though.

Last edited:

Drops of Jupiter

Dec 8, 2022

I disagree

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad