OT: so, baseball coming back again? (All things Fat Cats)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For the Intercounty League I think they blow most other teams out of the water. They don't release attendance stats for most teams but I think typically they are in the hundreds, not in the thousands like the Fat Cats. They are getting A or AA-level attendences for a semi-pro league, which is pretty impressive.

Yep I have to say I've been very impressed with the crowds at every game I've gone to. Lots of involvement, and a lot of people there cheering the team on. I think slowly Ottawa, as it grows, is become a better sports city.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Yep I have to say I've been very impressed with the crowds at every game I've gone to. Lots of involvement, and a lot of people there cheering the team on. I think slowly Ottawa, as it grows, is become a better sports city.

Population does not mean each time its going to be a good sports market look at Toronto i don't think you can really call it a great sports city Montreal maybe a bit better but not much Vancouver much the same the best sports city and one of the smallest is Quebec City.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Fat Cats season ended tonight.. lost in the QFs 4 games to 2 at the hands of Guelph.

City now determines who gets the lease past this year.. I believe things start to get interesting this October.

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
Jim Watson ‏@JimWatsonOttawa

The City has reached an agreement in principle with Beacon Sports Capital Partners for a lease and renovation plan for the Ottawa Stadium.

Also, Beacon Sports has reached an agreement in principle with @EasternLeague to bring a double A team to Ottawa for the 2014 season!

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I know that in these parts, though the league and games are meaningless in a sense, the American Association team in Winnipeg is a big success. Pro baseball (at a low level, mind you) with a great stadium at a cheap price makes for fun for everyone. Hoping that's the model you'll have in Ottawa.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I know that in these parts, though the league and games are meaningless in a sense, the American Association team in Winnipeg is a big success. Pro baseball (at a low level, mind you) with a great stadium at a cheap price makes for fun for everyone. Hoping that's the model you'll have in Ottawa.

Goldeyes FTW.

I remember when the league first started and Bill Murray was the owner of the St. Paul Saints. He made it out to every game that inaugural season. I remember seeing him at the Original Pancake House by Polo Park!*

*Winnipeg reference yo

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Looks like one more year for the Fat Cats who have been a lot of fun and who have kept baseball alive in the city and the stadium in place.

I wonder what team it will be affiliated with. Lots of Blue Jays fans in this city now.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I hope one more year for the Fat Cats, but the question will be whether the renovations will prevent them from playing at the baseball stadium next summer.

Anyway great news about the agreements in principle, but interested in hearing the details.

Please keep the field natural grass!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The City has reached an agreement in principle with Beacon Sports Capital Partners for a lease and renovation plan for the Ottawa Stadium.

Also, Beacon Sports has reached an agreement in principle with @EasternLeague to bring a double A team to Ottawa for the 2014 season!

GAWD DAMNIT.

I move to Indonesia as we get a AA team? My frigging luck...

I'd be a season ticket holder for AA ball, easily. I might not have had the time for a full season (what with kids and stuff), but a half-season would have been a guarantee.

HUGE news for Ottawa. I'm super stoked. I just need you guys to actually go to the games so we STILL have a team in 3 years, when I get back, ok?

AA baseball in Ottawa can absolutely work. There's such a huge void in the sports landscape that a AA team can easily fill. The Fat Cats did a good job of keeping baseball on life support over the past few years (as without the FC's, Baseba would have all but completely died, IMO), now hopefully this new AA team can get baseball back where it should be, healthy and at least somewhat popular.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Bonk, you just made me cream my pants, this is honest to god some of the best news I've heard all year. I'm so excited right now and even though I'm trying to pay off university and such, I'll still reach out to be a season-ticket holder (even though I'll be living in C-Place). I am so happy that this has occurred.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
When does NH's agreement expire with the Jays?

I'll go regardless, but I think if they were affiliated with the Jays it would take their success to a whole other level.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I'll go regardless, but I think if they were affiliated with the Jays it would take their success to a whole other level.

A Double-A team in Ottawa, regardless of affiliation, should succeed, assuming they are smart about their ticket pricing structure and really promote themselves as the summer-option for families who go to OHL games (read: market to families as a low-cost summer sporting outing in a city that has NO summer sporting outings).

A Double-A team in Ottawa, affiliated with the Jays however, could probably print money... or at least whatever the equivalent of "printing money" is for AA ball, haha. I'm sure there's a profit ceiling for minor league baseball.

They'd be the only AA team to get even a trace amount of TSN air time (however brief, and tacked on at the end of the show it would be), I assure you of that. If the Jays were doing well in July and August, and in a chase for a playoff spot, I could absolutely see a "minor league update" if the farm team were Canadian, and not buried in some American town.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Their deal with the Fisher Cats goes through the 2014 season, so it doesn't look like the Ottawa team will be affiliated with the Jays...

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
A Double-A team in Ottawa, regardless of affiliation, should succeed, assuming they are smart about their ticket pricing structure and really promote themselves as the summer-option for families who go to OHL games (read: market to families as a low-cost summer sporting outing in a city that has NO summer sporting outings).

A Double-A team in Ottawa, affiliated with the Jays however, could probably print money... or at least whatever the equivalent of "printing money" is for AA ball, haha. I'm sure there's a profit ceiling for minor league baseball.

They'd be the only AA team to get even a trace amount of TSN air time (however brief, and tacked on at the end of the show it would be), I assure you of that. If the Jays were doing well in July and August, and in a chase for a playoff spot, I could absolutely see a "minor league update" if the farm team were Canadian, and not buried in some American town.
Exactly.

I think AA Baseball will succeed regardless. I think it's better suited for a place like Ottawa than AAA Baseball. I'd actually rather watch AA Baseball than AAA considering where most prospects are playing.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Double A teams don't become available that often and affiliations change over time. It's probably more important to get the team first, whatever the affiliation, and then work towards getting the Jays over the long term. It would be great to get the Jays from Day 1 but expecting it might be setting ourselves up for disappointment. I'll be happy no matter what the affiliation is.

It's not clear if the agreement in principle is for an expansion team or if one of the existing teams will be moving.

142 games per year though. That's a pretty big increase compared to the Fat Cats.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Double A teams don't become available that often and affiliations change over time. It's probably more important to get the team first, whatever the affiliation, and then work towards getting the Jays over the long term. It would be great to get the Jays from Day 1 but expecting it might be setting ourselves up for disappointment. I'll be happy no matter what the affiliation is.

It's not clear if the agreement in principle is for an expansion team or if one of the existing teams will be moving.

142 games per year though. That's a pretty big increase compared to the Fat Cats.
Agreed!

I was wondering the same thing about how concrete the deal is.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
E-mail:

Dear Friend,

As you may have heard by now, the Mayor of Ottawa has announced (News Release below) two important agreements-in-principle putting our community on the warning track to clear the wall for a home run that is a new Double-A baseball team in Ottawa in 2014.

This is very exciting news for the aspiration of a professional franchise playing in 2014 at Ottawa Stadium and the momentum is now ours as we round third base and head for home plate.

The Champions for Ottawa Baseball have played a key role in assisting the negotiating process that has led to these agreements-in-principle. It is your commitment and passion in recognizing that professional baseball has a place in our community that has led us to this critical stage. Decision makers took notice of 3,100+ deposits, $30K+ raised through our local business community for charities so disadvantaged children had a voice and can then enjoy games in the future.

A new Double A team will contribute to a vibrant baseball culture in Ottawa – from the local talent with the Fat Cats to the East Nepean Little League Association preparing to host the 2015 National Little League Championships. From the thousands of Blue Jays fans cheering on the team to the kids, parents, coaches and families that involve themselves in our Little League/amateur baseball communities.

The Champions will continue to support the decision makers in finalizing these agreements by being your “Champion” and articulating why baseball is an important asset in our community for families, children and us all.

Sincerely,.

David Gourlay, Founder
Champions for Ottawa Baseball

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
NH agreement was just extended a few months ago until 2014, and the Jays are also looking to move out of that horrible AAA ballpark in Las Vegas and moving to Buffalo, which would help very much on costs and time restraints to callup players.

The ball diamond in New Hampshire is 10/10, possibly the best diamond in all of double A ball.I think they would be nuts to move from that situation now or in 2014.

When the Blue Jays have injured players they'd rather send them down to New Hampshire for rehab than going to Vegas.

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
CTV News mentioned a rumor (or speculation) that it's the Bingenham (sp?) team and even possibly trading affiliation with the Jays.

WilderPegasus*

CTV News mentioned a rumor (or speculation) that it's the Bingenham (sp?) team and even possibly trading affiliation with the Jays.

Seriously? Come on! That's pathetic.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

I'll stop any rumours putting forward..even though it's close spelling wise, Binghamton is not losing it's Double A affiliate of 30 years anytime soon w/ the NY Mets..

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
I'll stop any rumours putting forward..even though it's close spelling wise, Binghamton is not losing it's Double A affiliate of 30 years anytime soon w/ the NY Mets..

I heard something about Bingo was moving to Ottawa, with another team moving into Bingo. Doesn't really make any sense to me, why doesn't the other team just move to Ottawa? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad