Snyder family supports Connor Hellebuyck wearing Dan Snyder’s #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Not one person said that he was a hero, or "he was Gandhi". Not a single one. He was, by all accounts, a very good human being and a great teammate. You get a humanitarian award named after you, that's gotta stand for something. So maybe a Rush-esque "Nobody's Hero", but no, he was not Gandhi.

His PARENTS and family, on the other hand, have been absolute paragons of grace and forgiveness and decency in the face of an ugly tragedy, and they are as much a part of this story as Dan.

And in a day and age where an internet post of a grilled cheese recipe can turn into a hateful, angry, slur-and-pejorative-filled brawl within 15 minutes over "whether or not it's still a grilled cheese if you put a meat into it? Yeah, having that grace and forgiveness might not make them "heroes", but I damn sure had my eyes opened by having come to understand it.

I hope you made that up, but wouldn't be at all surprised if you didn't. :help:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I hope you made that up, but wouldn't be at all surprised if you didn't. :help:

I wish I could say I made that up too :( but that is the absolute truth. I like to keep that in the back of my head every time I get the urge to get worked up about anything on the internet.

I can only imagine what it will take to top that...

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
Not one person said that he was a hero, or "he was Gandhi". Not a single one. He was, by all accounts, a very good human being and a great teammate. You get a humanitarian award named after you, that's gotta stand for something. So maybe a Rush-esque "Nobody's Hero", but no, he was not Gandhi.

His PARENTS and family, on the other hand, have been absolute paragons of grace and forgiveness and decency in the face of an ugly tragedy, and they are as much a part of this story as Dan.

And in a day and age where an internet post of a grilled cheese recipe can turn into a hateful, angry, slur-and-pejorative-filled brawl within 15 minutes over "whether or not it's still a grilled cheese if you put a meat into it?" Yeah, having that grace and forgiveness might not make them "heroes", but I damn sure had my eyes opened by having come to understand it.

Grilled cheeses are allowed to have meat. In fact they taste even better that way.

Let's argue. ;)

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

This. This family - to a person - did something that to most people is inconceivable, and doing something small to honour them is worthy. I, for one, appreciate TNSE and the Jets making an effort to adopt this.

If you can't see this as being completely amazing, I just don't know. You're completely lost.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Grilled cheeses are allowed to have meat. In fact they taste even better that way.

Let's argue. ;)

****ing sub-human detritus. That's exactly the sort of ass-backwards retrograde idiocy that is ruining Canada. If you have meat, you can't dunk it in the tomato soup, CAN YOU, you &)$*#(#$&)( no-good stinking $(#*)&$#)( son of a monkey &#*($

You're as ugly as Frankenstein and as uncultured as his sister Phyllis.

This. This family - to a person - did something that to most people is inconceivable, and doing something small to honour them is worthy. I, for one, appreciate TNSE and the Jets making an effort to adopt this.

Absolutely. :nod:

Last edited:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

If you can't see this as being completely amazing, I just don't know. You're completely lost.

I'm not trying to belittle the Snyder family or their courage and generosity and grace. Saying I did is putting words in my mouth. Saying I don't respect or feel for them is a blatant lie.

But, they have many ways to honour their son's memory, again in places he played and lived and impacted.
even still the Jets already honour him. in a meaningful and tangible way.

I'm just suggesting that it is a story that doesn't really have any tie to this city or team.

Where do we draw the line? There are Winnipeg kids, hockey players who have died tragically, No one on the Jets asked their parents if it was okay to wear those numbers. Why? Are their parents less deserving? less gracious? their stories less tragic? there's a huge list of hockey players who died tragically, why aren't we honouring them? Are their stories less compelling?

In 40 years if Hellybuck is in the Hall of fame does the plaque mention Snyder's family and say it was Snyder's number? Does my replica Hellybuck Jersey get the Dan Snyder tag? Does every Jet who ever wears the number in perpetuity need to ask a Snyder family member if it's OK? What if they refuse?

Rypien wore the number as well both as a moose and as a Canuck. why no tag for him? is that an insult to his family?

I'm sorry to me it just feels like we are carrying this weight around, writing ourselves into a story we really have no connection to. Imagine Hellybuck. every single game he has to wear that tag. for the rest of his career as a Jet. Forced to remember a player he has no contact with, not a personal hero, or lost friend, or teammate, not even someone who ever touched our organisation. No one else on the team shares that weight. just him. Every time he puts on that Jersey he carries that.
I don't really think he needs too. We don't really need to.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Imagine Hellybuck. every single game he has to wear that tag. for the rest of his career as a Jet. Forced to remember a player he has no contact with, not a personal hero, or lost friend, or teammate, not even someone who ever touched our organisation. No one else on the team shares that weight. just him. Every time he puts on that Jersey he carries that.
I don't really think he needs too. We don't really need to.

Good idea - the team needs to wear a 'share the weight' patch to support Hellybuck through these trying times.

I agree that this has little connection to this community, but there's never anything wrong about being respectful of a prior tradition. The award is a good idea that should last and everything else will just slowly fade away, don't see the point to rushing it out the door.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not trying to belittle the Snyder family or their courage and generosity and grace. Saying I did is putting words in my mouth. Saying I don't respect or feel for them is a blatant lie.

Just to clarify, when I said:

... In Snyder's case, it's about the power of grace and forgiveness (at a level bordering on super-human, as far as I'm concerned) in the face of a truly horrible tragedy, and all the positive change that can come from it.

.. and you responded with ..

Tell me this great story Dan Snyder represents. What is it? all I see is "Young hockey players out for dangerous high speed joyride in residential neighbourhood crash Ferrari"

.. this is from where people are getting the impression that you are being 'belittling'. Perhaps you didn't mean it as such. I mean, you're telling us now you didn't, and I'm certainly prone to believe you. But whence did the impression come from? Not from whole cloth, not from imagined words put into your mouth.

And as for your slippery slope argument? Who knows what will happen in 40 years. Right now, there is an Atlanta Thrashers winner of the Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy still playing for the franchise at a very high level, and I think that 'recentness' enough demonstrates an appropriateness of a non-visible memorial patch to honor a good person and to respect the good people that remember him.

At the end of the day, you might not think the Snyder family has any connection to the franchise; the people who run the franchise disagree.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
and let me just say that, given who we are discussing and the whole point I've tried to make, I fully intend to keep this civil no matter what. Anyone with any pent up energy and internet vitriol can feel free to take on my uptight, puritanical stance regarding the definition of a grilled cheese sandwich. Or argue my position and I'll take the other one, I'm pretty flexible that way :P

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am a huge fan of how the Snyder family have handled themselves, every year when the award is given I get choked up at the game. Forgiveness is an easy thing to talk about but a much tougher action to take for even trivial matters, I can't imagine how tough it would be when you lose your son/brother. I am 100% behind honouring Dan and their family and knowing Mark and his late father I am pretty sure they were both honoured and humbled picking up the torch that had been passed to them and keeping the flame lit.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I am a huge fan of how the Snyder family have handled themselves, every year when the award is given I get choked up at the game. Forgiveness is an easy thing to talk about but a much tougher action to take for even trivial matters, I can't imagine how tough it would be when you lose your son/brother.

I had a 25-year embargo on a restaurant chain because they kicked me and my friends out when I was a teenager. I have blood feuds with people for slights they dropped on me in games I don't even play anymore. I don't need anger management -- I can manage to get angry at any time about anything.

But forgiveness? And at THAT cost?

They are better people than me, by a degree so large I cannot even fathom the scope.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Good idea - the team needs to wear a 'share the weight' patch to support Hellybuck through these trying times.

I think your trying to be sarcastic...

Seriously. Most athletes are choosy about thier numbers. They tend to wear them for thier entire career. It's part of the image and brand. They want to create a legacy with that number, often since childhood.
Now toe not just playing for your legacy you have some dead kids legacy to fulfil. I wouldn't like it. I bet more than a few athletes would feel the same way.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think your trying to be sarcastic...

Seriously. Most athletes are choosy about thier numbers. They tend to wear them for thier entire career. It's part of the image and brand. They want to create a legacy with that number, often since childhood.
Now toe not just playing for your legacy you have some dead kids legacy to fulfil. I wouldn't like it. I bet more than a few athletes would feel the same way.

You're right about athletes wanting their own number; I mean, this got started with Bucky wanting to play with #37, right? So yeah, there's a very real, non-zero chance that Bucky is upset by it. I know nothing about his character, I don't even think I've seen one interview or press conference. So absent that, yeah, there's a chance.

I mean, Lucic threatened to kill two players in a handshake line -- not all players are classy.

But, if the distribution of opinion in this thread is any indication? I'd say that yes, you are right -- "more than a few" would be put off by it.

And to round out the opinions, "more than a few" would be honored by it, and the vast majority would be "meh, it's a small thing, an insignificant concession and I'm looking forward to playing with my number next year".

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
You're right about athletes wanting their own number; I mean, this got started with Bucky wanting to play with #37, right? So yeah, there's a very real, non-zero chance that Bucky is upset by it. I know nothing about his character, I don't even think I've seen one interview or press conference. So absent that, yeah, there's a chance.

I mean, Lucic threatened to kill two players in a handshake line -- not all players are classy.

But, if the distribution of opinion in this thread is any indication? I'd say that yes, you are right -- "more than a few" would be put off by it.

And to round out the opinions, "more than a few" would be honored by it, and the vast majority would be "meh, it's a small thing, an insignificant concession and I'm looking forward to playing with my number next year".

so now we've gone from heartfelt remembrance, to insignificant concession and lip-service to fulfil the players desire to wear their chosen number...so why are doing it again?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The funny thing is that if Trouba signs, he'll probably get a huge ovation (for dragging out the negotiation and then signing)

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Sorry, Dan Snyder and Helle have a lot of class, heart, and soul......:nod: may that patch win multiple Stanley Cups!

Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go

-----Chipman! Let Our Jets Soar!-----

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
this thread's suddenly got a small touch of the odds.

Yep it has...
Back on topic.
I agree with Skidooboy
Typically it's best not to comment on something touchy when you don't agree with it.
To each their own

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Tell me this great story Dan Snyder represents. what is it? all I see is "Young hockey players out for dangerous high speed joyride in residential neighbourhood crash Ferrari". would we all be soppy if they'd killed a child or pedestrian as well?

Yeah his family were nice about it so Danny Heatley could continue to be an entitled arrogant ass. Yeah for humanity!!! A family member of mine did 50X more for the people of Canada back in the 70's & 80's as one of a group of politically motivated feminists who made real change in this country by lobbying government. No one is naming anything after her..but Hey! This kid could shoot a puck sooo lets name everything after him!!!

He was a kid who died in a car crash not a international hero. I can have respect for him and his family and their loss without pretending the was Gandhi, or pretending his life was any more meaningful or important than any of the thousands who die every day. He's got an award, a fund, a rink , in places where he played and lived and made an impact. He's and his family have enough to remember him by.

I really don't see why our team & city needs to carry his ghost around until the end of time.
I'd rather we talk about Ducky's Number, Or Selanne's. or Hulls. Those are the numbers Jets fans should treat with Honor and respect

RR's Number? Another tragedy, And a far more compelling one. as you said, It's about Mental health and a reminder that anyone can suffer.He's played here, part of the TNSE family, part of the Winnipeg family. It at least makes sense.

Yep. I definitely don't want to belittle what the Snyder family went through. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child.

BUT:

If you think Dan Snyder was kidnapped by Dany Heatley or is some kind of hero, you've lost the script. Dany and Dan were a couple of young, rich pro athletes who were probably both feeling invincible and participating in an extremely selfish and dangerous act. Thank GOD someone who was innocent in this wasn't killed, like a mom with a minivan filled with kids, etc. It is awful that he died and that this happened but Dan Snyder is no hero.

I won't say any more cause I will get political and that's against the rules. I think a patch INSIDE the jersey, and the award in his name are nice, not necessary touches. I think that Helle contacting the Snyders and asking is super classy, and I think that the Snyders did the right thing by not allowing Heatley to go to jail for something that both he and Snyder were ACTIVE participants in.

Comparing Snyder to Rypien IMHO is almost insulting. What RR struggled through is something that not only many hockey players and athletes deal with, but everyday people. It is something that we need to build awareness about. Rick was a part of Winnipeg and the True North family. Much, much different.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
& thus far #30 with the Jets.

My question here is why bother changing #'s if the plan for 2016-2017 is to have him play for the Moose where he was already wearing #37?

If the Jets are going to reach out to Snyders family for the okay, isn't this the telling moment we've all been waiting for that Pavelec is on his way out?

Bear with me:

1) The Jets must expose one goalie to expansion & it has to be one under contract. Since Pavelec's contract expires this season it can't be him.

2) 1st & 2nd year pro's are exempt so Eric Comrie & Jamie Phillips are exempt

3) Regardless of how the Jets play their cards one of Hellebuyck or Hutchinson will be exposed

4) If they start with Pavelec & Hellebuyck, Hutchinson could be lost to waivers. Now that means they have to acquire a goalie or expose Hellebuyck at expansion.

5) So Hutchinson has to make the Jets. No way around that.

6) Comrie needs the starts so having Hellybuyck on the Moose is a waste for both players development.

7) Why have Jets managment reach out to the Snyder family if the plan is for Hellebuyck to play for the Moose? He's already been playing as #37 there & #30 for the Jets. They could have delayed this phone call for another year...

Unless Pavelec ends up on the Moose!!!

Well, I hope you're right about Pavelec getting waived--though I have very little faith in Hutchinson right now--but the issue of having a goaltender exposed in the expansion draft is significantly overstated.

Unless I'm missing something there's no 'games played over a certain period' minimum for goaltenders so there's nothing keeping teams from signing Emery, Bryzgalov, Boucher, or even Olkinuora to an NHL contract to comply. The latter on a two-way should cost far less than $100k.

That stated, I would not be at all surprised if this non-problem was used as an excuse if Pavelec is indeed waived. If Maurice the ************ diplomat said something along the lines of 'because Ondrej isn't under contract for next year we had to waive him instead of Hutchinson in order to stay expansion draft compliant'.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
so now we've gone from heartfelt remembrance, to insignificant concession and lip-service to fulfil the players desire to wear their chosen number...so why are doing it again?

Okay, it seems you've misunderstood me.

So, in point form:

* This gesture by the franchise is indeed one of heartfelt remembrance, and I think the story of the Snyder family merits being remembered at the NHL level, and we are the ones fit to do it.
* Your opinion of the onerous weight, negative impact and slippery slope of this gesture? Well, it's your own, and I respect that, but it's a scant minority on the far end of the scale.

To address other concerns:

Regarding the Rick Rypien / Dan Snyder comparisons: Again a reminder that I made this comparison in direct response to an argument that attempted to disqualify the validity of the Dan Snyder remembrance under three explicit reasons:

* Snyder only played 50-odd games at the NHL level.
* Snyder never played a game for the Winnipeg Jets team, despite other historical involvement in the franchise.
* Snyder was a bit talent with no in-game significance as a player.

My entire counter-argument, and whole purpose for the comparison, was as follows:

* These factors also apply to Rick Rypien, who played about 2x as many NHL games but still 0 with the NHL franchise.
* These factors do not -- and should not -- disqualify us from remembering Rypien for what the story of his life represented to people in the franchise outside of the family.
* If these factors do not disqualify Rypien, they should not disqualify Snyder.

So far, the only opposition to this argument I've had is "Rick Rypien had closer out-of-game connections to the franchise". Yes, that explains why they are carrying on a traditional award and putting a little hidden patch inside a jersey for one, and do far, far more for the other. Doesn't address my argument one bit.

Regarding "treating Dan Snyder as a hero".

Again: *not once* have I said Dan Snyder was a hero. Not once. Nor has anyone else.

I've said he was by all accounts a really good person and a great teammate, and I don't think anyone disputes that.

Yes, in response to the first unfounded claim of "you called him a hero", I said "at best, he's a Rush-esque "Nobody's Hero"".

I guess to clarify for those unfamiliar for the song, it's about someone who *ISN'T* a hero, because they didn't do any of the grand things we'd associate with heroes ("Save a drowning child, cure a wasting disease," etc.) but was just a good person who made a difference to someone.

Plus, it's a great song and you should listen to it anyways.

His PARENTS, again -- their constant dedication to regrowth and renewal and forgiveness and grace and trying to make positive things happen from a tragedy? That borders on the super human, far better than some of the glib dismissals of it I've seen in this thread.

Whether you think 'heroic' could apply there is up to you; but their involvement are part of the story, and on whole, I think it's a net positive for our franchise to remain involved with it.

Some of you disagree? That's fine. It's what makes life worth living. I know full well that me living surrounded by people who think exactly like me and act exactly like me would be a living hell. Those of us of a parenting age who have had a lifetime of Spongebob Squarepants fed to us, and saw how Squidward suffered horribly in Tentacle Acres, will know *exactly* what I mean.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Okay, it seems you've misunderstood me.

So, in point form:

* This gesture by the franchise is indeed one of heartfelt remembrance, and I think the story of the Snyder family merits being remembered at the NHL level, and we are the ones fit to do it.
* Your opinion of the onerous weight, negative impact and slippery slope of this gesture? Well, it's your own, and I respect that, but it's a scant minority on the far end of the scale.

To address other concerns:

Regarding the Rick Rypien / Dan Snyder comparisons: Again a reminder that I made this comparison in direct response to an argument that attempted to disqualify the validity of the Dan Snyder remembrance under three explicit reasons:

* Snyder only played 50-odd games at the NHL level.
* Snyder never played a game for the Winnipeg Jets team, despite other historical involvement in the franchise.
* Snyder was a bit talent with no in-game significance as a player.

My entire counter-argument, and whole purpose for the comparison, was as follows:

* These factors also apply to Rick Rypien, who played about 2x as many NHL games but still 0 with the NHL franchise.
* These factors do not -- and should not -- disqualify us from remembering Rypien for what the story of his life represented to people in the franchise outside of the family.
* If these factors do not disqualify Rypien, they should not disqualify Snyder.

So far, the only opposition to this argument I've had is "Rick Rypien had closer out-of-game connections to the franchise". Yes, that explains why they are carrying on a traditional award and putting a little hidden patch inside a jersey for one, and do far, far more for the other. Doesn't address my argument one bit.

Regarding "treating Dan Snyder as a hero".

Again: *not once* have I said Dan Snyder was a hero. Not once. Nor has anyone else.

I've said he was by all accounts a really good person and a great teammate, and I don't think anyone disputes that.

Yes, in response to the first unfounded claim of "you called him a hero", I said "at best, he's a Rush-esque "Nobody's Hero"".

I guess to clarify for those unfamiliar for the song, it's about someone who *ISN'T* a hero, because they didn't do any of the grand things we'd associate with heroes ("Save a drowning child, cure a wasting disease," etc.) but was just a good person who made a difference to someone.

Plus, it's a great song and you should listen to it anyways.

His PARENTS, again -- their constant dedication to regrowth and renewal and forgiveness and grace and trying to make positive things happen from a tragedy? That borders on the super human, far better than some of the glib dismissals of it I've seen in this thread.

Whether you think 'heroic' could apply there is up to you; but their involvement are part of the story, and on whole, I think it's a net positive for our franchise to remain involved with it.

Some of you disagree? That's fine. It's what makes life worth living. I know full well that me living surrounded by people who think exactly like me and act exactly like me would be a living hell. Those of us of a parenting age who have had a lifetime of Spongebob Squarepants fed to us, and saw how Squidward suffered horribly in Tentacle Acres, will know *exactly* what I mean.

Its a nice dress up but it still doesn't answer my question. Why are we the team and fans that have to carry this on? Why does this single tragedy out of the dozens of others deserve to live on? Again His family has their honours and remembrances in places where Dan is remembered and made an impact, why here? where he really means nothing to nobody, and nobody here meant anything to him.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
PS

I hate the "he was a nice guy" quote.

every dead guy ever was "a great person"

guy in my home town was a complete jerk. Entitled, spoiled, wife hitting bully. after he died all i heard was about the tragedy of his passing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad