Islanders Point Blank: SNY Isles Podcast with Elliotte Friedman

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Posted a thread on the rumors board about this, here's some key facts for those that can't listen:

-Friedman states that he can't believe how many people consistently tell him that John Tavares truly wants to stay an Islander for life, and to do so the Isles need to show him they're on the right track post Capuano.

- Friedman believes the Islanders have been trying to make a blockbuster move for a while (Stamkos in the offseason, Duchene earlier in the season, but nothing has came to fruition.

-Regarding Colorado, Friedman believes asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is a high end young D, OR a promising young goalie for the future (New info: Ex: Ilya Sorokin).

-Believes Nick Leddy isn't a bad offer for Colorado, but problem for Isles is once they trade a Nick Leddy, they suddenly need a Nick Leddy.

-Friedman also tossed out that the Isles were apparently close to moving Ryan Strome sometime recently, but now wonders if coaching change will revitalize him.

-Ultimately, Friedman believes Snow is paying dearly this season for putting his eggs in one basket trying to get Stamkos to NY. Also, has heard that Casey Cizikas signing his extension before Nielsen threw a wrench in the plans and drove Nielsen to explore other options.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Posted a thread on the rumors board about this, here's some key facts for those that can't listen:

-Friedman states that he can't believe how many people consistently tell him that John Tavares truly wants to stay an Islander for life, and to do so the Isles need to show him they're on the right track post Capuano.

- Friedman believes the Islanders have been trying to make a blockbuster move for a while (Stamkos in the offseason, Duchene earlier in the season, but nothing has came to fruition.

-Regarding Colorado, Friedman believes asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is a high end young D, OR a promising young goalie for the future (New info: Ex: Ilya Sorokin).

-Believes Nick Leddy isn't a bad offer for Colorado, but problem for Isles is once they trade a Nick Leddy, they suddenly need a Nick Leddy.

-Friedman also tossed out that the Isles were apparently close to moving Ryan Strome sometime recently, but now wonders if coaching change will revitalize him.

-Ultimately, Friedman believes Snow is paying dearly this season for putting his eggs in one basket trying to get Stamkos to NY. Also, has heard that Casey Cizikas signing his extension before Nielsen threw a wrench in the plans and drove Nielsen to explore other options.

Thank you for this.

The one thing that is really eating away at me is, Stamkos wasn't down to either us or going back to the lighting...

Therefore, to put all your eggs in that basket is silly from the out set.

I do like the idea of going for the big guns and gearing up to make a run for them. Yet, you need to have a contingency plan.

That being said, I think ledecky is showing he is willing to spend.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Thank you for this.

The one thing that is really eating away at me is, Stamkos wasn't down to either us or going back to the lighting...

I do like the idea of going for the big guns and gearing up to make a run for them. Yet, you need to have a contingency plan.

That being said, I think ledecky is showing he is willing to spend.

I wonder if Ledecky was the driving force behind Snow's "all-in" for Stamkos and that's why he's been given some leash after this mess of a year?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I wonder if Ledecky was the driving force behind Snow's "all-in" for Stamkos and that's why he's been given some leash after this mess of a year?

Oh man... This is a really good point man. If Snow remains GM I just do not see how we don't make a big deal.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

It's like putting all your eggs in one basket when you don't have a basket.

QNUVxp4.jpg

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Many here thought he went for Stamkos and failed, but I didn't see anyone connect the dots between Nielsen and CC.

Either way, the team is pretty hosed. The number of kids not turning the corner into some form of elite player will ultimately blow the club up. Of course sticking with a poor coaching staff does that as well.

In the end, all that matters is Snow going away. Him and most everyone else.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Many here thought he went for Stamkos and failed, but I didn't see anyone connect the dots between Nielsen and CC.

Either way, the team is pretty hosed. The number of kids not turning the corner into some form of elite player will ultimately blow the club up. Of course sticking with a poor coaching staff does that as well.

In the end, all that matters is Snow going away. Him and most everyone else.

Hey we have Barzal who looks promising!

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Great interview, as I agree on the stability of the right arena to play in. I'm not in New York myself, but a new arena in the perfect New York/Long Island location would go a long ways to bringing the right management/players in for the long term and encourage top free agents like Stamkos to play for the Isles, but I'm not sure if or where that would be possible.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm not saying he wasn't all in on Stamkos but there was time after Stamkos re-signed to come up with plan B. I don't think Garth refused to negotiate with Okposo because he basically had Stamkos all wrapped up in him mind. For better or worse, he simply didn't think KO was worth it.

I think the Cizikas story line is interesting and makes some sense. If Garth truly wanted Frans back (and why wouldn't he), he definitely should have made that a priority as opposed to CC who was still a RFA after the year. That seems like a big mistake.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Does seem insanely idiotic that Snow had all his eggs in one basket with Stamkos. There was what, a dozen teams who were making serious offers to him including the team he was drafted by and wanted to come back to? First, let's prove we're a franchise that cares about winning and capable of being a cup contender before we take runs at the #1 FA of the offseason. moron

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Does seem insanely idiotic that Snow had all his eggs in one basket with Stamkos. There was what, a dozen teams who were making serious offers to him including the team he was drafted by and wanted to come back to? First, let's prove we're a franchise that cares about winning and capable of being a cup contender before we take runs at the #1 FA of the offseason. moron

Wasn't Andrew Ladd the top UFA this offseason?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

So, Boston was a bunch of morons when the paid a ton for Chara, a premium UFA, this after they traded Jumbo Joe and were kinda considered a joke of a franchise?

Sometimes, one player can be a game changer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't blame Snow for not wanting Okposo back, I know I'm happy he's gone (for the price tag). His problem was not about letting Okposo go, but thinking Nielsen would sit and wait for the Isles to come calling.

Big game hunting was a risk, and it always is, but sometimes it's necessary. I still don't disagree with the move. I hate that Nielsen left and that they waived Parenteau/couldn't make another trade to bring in another top talent guy.

Wasn't Andrew Ladd the top UFA this offseason?

Yep.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't blame Snow for not wanting Okposo back, I know I'm happy he's gone (for the price tag). His problem was not about letting Okposo go, but thinking Nielsen would sit and wait for the Isles to come calling.

Big game hunting was a risk, and it always is, but sometimes it's necessary. I still don't disagree with the move. I hate that Nielsen left and that they waived Parenteau/couldn't make another trade to bring in another top talent guy.

Yep.

Honestly for the $500,000 difference he should've resigned Okposo. It's not Okposo's fault Cappy refused to take him off the first line.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Going after Stamkos was the right move. Losing Frans was unfortunate, but the contingency plan (replacing Frans/Kyle with Ladd/PaP/Chimmer) would have worked had he stuck with it. Those three are out scoring what we lost, and we're on pace to score more than we did last season as is.

The mistake was letting PaP walk so we could carry 3 goaltenders, as well as Prince/Quine and both rookies (Barzal/Beauvillier). Had the right (OBVIOUS) moves been made, and we let Berube walk and held onto PaP, Halak doesn't turn into a train wreck, and we currently have another RH forward with 12goals that we know can play with JT on the top line and PP.

That is one hundred percent on Garth Snow.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It's reasons like this 're: handling Frans negotiations and showing no interest in KO that I don't trust Snow's judgment nor decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad