Speculation: Snow out, McPhee IN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Simply making the playoffs is NOT an accomplishment since average teams make the playoffs in the nhl. We need higher standards.

And making the final 8 is an accomplishment for this team, the teams with the 2 best records in hockey, got bounced in the same round we did, 3 of the teams that have been in the last 2 Stanley Cup Finals (Rangers, Kings, Blackhawks) got bounced in the FIRST round, the 4th team, was the team that knocked us out, the Lightning went to the Cup Finals last year and are in the Conference Finals once again, they are a damned good team, even without Stamkos.

The Blackhawks, Rangers, Kings, Capitals and Stars are all good teams, so are the Islanders. I can understand about the *****ing about Cappy, I agree 100%, he should be gone, It's no coincidence that the last two elimination games the last 2 years, the Isles were outscored 6-1 (2-1 and 4-0) and basically didn't show up (11 total shots in the 2-1 loss). I blame that completely on poor coaching, game 3 against the Lightning, I blame Cappy 100% for that loss. I'm angry he got a vote of confidence and he isn't going anywhere, but anyone who thought he was going to get fired is just plain delusional. The minute the Isles beat Florida to win that series, I knew he wasn't going anywhere.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
the team was worse than last year IMO

the new building is a negative IMO

new owners - we'll see how they are

winning team - meh

great prospects - Not counting my chickens...

large.jpg

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
With the combination of FA's still not wanting to come to Brooklyn and the availability of quality FA's Snow has no choice but to draft well or use his prospects to make a significant trade to upgrade. I truly think this is the summer he will make that blockbuster trade that will make us serious contenders. Im not sold on any of the FA's available besides Stamkos which means we will most likely take care of in house players first.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I haven't really followed this thread and it seems like its now a bash Garth party....which is fine, but has there been any follow up on the original premise? Is there any follow up about Garth potentially being replaced by McPhee or was that just idle conjecture?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Simply making the playoffs is NOT an accomplishment since average teams make the playoffs in the nhl. We need higher standards.

To a fan maybe, but to an owner and the franchise, it damn right is. You think CAR would have liked to make it and capture that revenue and fanbase excitement?

How about ANY Canadian team where the TV ratings plummeted in absence of any team being in the playoffs.

I'm sure CLB loves where they sit, same with CLG, and same with BOS - but that's ok, let's dismiss that it's an accomplishment to even make the playoffs. Unbelieverable.

For years, Isles fans spent March and Aprik looking at draft picks and lotto balls, now it's no big deal to make the playoffs and play until May. Yeah, ok.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
With the combination of FA's still not wanting to come to Brooklyn and the availability of quality FA's Snow has no choice but to draft well or use his prospects to make a significant trade to upgrade. I truly think this is the summer he will make that blockbuster trade that will make us serious contenders. Im not sold on any of the FA's available besides Stamkos which means we will most likely take care of in house players first.

So, Hamonic had a PERFECT excuse to bolt Brooklyn using his family issue, yet he came out the other day, rescinded his trade request bc the family issue was now a non-issue, and he WANTS to stay.

Something tells me the Brooklyn thing is a little more a perceived issue vs an actual issue.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
To a fan maybe, but to an owner and the franchise, it damn right is. You think CAR would have liked to make it and capture that revenue and fanbase excitement?

How about ANY Canadian team where the TV ratings plummeted in absence of any team being in the playoffs.

I'm sure CLB loves where they sit, same with CLG, and same with BOS - but that's ok, let's dismiss that it's an accomplishment to even make the playoffs. Unbelieverable.

For years, Isles fans spent March and Aprik looking at draft picks and lotto balls, now it's no big deal to make the playoffs and play until May. Yeah, ok.

Well said.

And if the Isles had the same exact season with a different coach and GM, GUARANTEE you a lot of these posters who are poo-poo-ing this year would be praising the new regime for FINALLY bringing success to the organization.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I see where both you and SS are coming from but in a league where half the teams make the playoffs, just making it in is not a huge feat. Getting eliminated in the secnd round puts you at a notch above mediocre.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I see where both you and SS are coming from but in a league where half the teams make the playoffs, just making it in is not a huge feat. Getting eliminated in the secnd round puts you at a notch above mediocre.

Not saying winning one round should be some sort of gold standard but only 4 other teams in the league can boast a higher accomplishment.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Can anyone even name a team that axed a GM after getting a team back into the final 8 after 10 years of absence?

You have me on a new coach......though as these players grow, it's flawed to assume Cappy hasn't.

I'm pissed they crapped the bed as well, but for all intents and purposes, the "Brooklyn Experiment" WORKED. They've overcome a stigma or two, grown tighter as a group (evidenced by Hamonic staying after all) and are spitting distance from new ownership making its first non-Wang footprints.

Ledecky and Malkin sitting Cappy down and saying something to the tune of "your leash just decreased in length by one half, and we'll be asking ourselves if there are replacements to bring in the first losing streak we see. ECF or GTHO" would be within reason, and fully expected.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Regular season- Finished in the top 10
Playoffs- Finished in the top 8

If that's a notch above mediocre what is missing the playoffs with 90+ points ? To me, finishing with 70 points is mediocre and finishing above that is a notch above (obviously).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Can anyone even name a team that axed a GM after getting a team back into the final 8 after 10 years of absence?

You have me on a new coach......though as these players grow, it's flawed to assume Cappy hasn't.

I'm pissed they crapped the bed as well, but for all intents and purposes, the "Brooklyn Experiment" WORKED. They've overcome a stigma or two, grown tighter as a group (evidenced by Hamonic staying after all) and are spitting distance from new ownership making its first non-Wang footprints.

Ledecky and Malkin sitting Cappy down and saying something to the tune of "your leash just decreased in length by one half, and we'll be asking ourselves if there are replacements to bring in the first losing streak we see. ECF or GTHO" would be within reason, and fully expected.

Both Torts and BB were fired after dips following big gains under them. Lou Lams replaced a coach during a succesful season simply because he didn't like what he saw prior to the playoffs. You may not be able to find a perfect match but coaches have been replaced during unlikely times before because owners thought a better replacement was necessary. I think Lams even stuck Robinson back into his coaching farm so it can be a demotion, not even a firing. Considering Capuanos well known faults and his fingerprints all over our tanking round 2 I don't get anyone acting like this is expecting the impossible. This club needs an intelligent disciplinarian to move forward. Capuano is not that guy.

If they don't move him now don't hold your breath for it next year.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Both Torts and BB were fired after dips following big gains under them. Lou Lams replaced a coach during a succesful season simply because he didn't like what he saw prior to the playoffs. You may not be able to find a perfect match but coaches have been replaced during unlikely times before because owners thought a better replacement was necessary. I think Lams even stuck Robinson back into his coaching farm so it can be a demotion, not even a firing. Considering Capuanos well known faults and his fingerprints all over our tanking round 2 I don't get anyone acting like this is expecting the impossible. This club needs an intelligent disciplinarian to move foreward. Capuano is not that guy.

If they don't move him now don't hold your breath for it next year.

The same thing that undermined the Isles did the same to the Caps - yet, in Islanderland fans blame the coach, yet in Capsland everyone is questioning the players - not the coach that has NEVER won a 2nd round despite numerous times in getting there.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Not saying winning one round should be some sort of gold standard but only 4 other teams in the league can boast a higher accomplishment.

damn right you are.....but bet your ass that you dont see DAL, WSH or the loser of NSH/SJS say it was a great season, either

#losermentality

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
damn right you are.....but bet your ass that you dont see DAL, WSH or the loser of NSH/SJS say it was a great season, either

#losermentality

Damn right you think DAL is disappointed with the end result, but they went from NOT making the playoffs last year to making it to game 7 of round 2 this year. The owner is rather pleased with the revenue and reinvigoration of the fanbase.

WASH should be ticked off because they made roster and coaching changes and didn't get beyond their normal failure point (round 2).

The Isles organization, the players, coaches, etc. should be proud of making it to round 2, however, should be disappointed they failed in achieving the ultimate goal. That's not a loser mentality, that's reality.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Regular season- Finished in the top 10
Playoffs- Finished in the top 8

If that's a notch above mediocre what is missing the playoffs with 90+ points ? To me, finishing with 70 points is mediocre and finishing above that is a notch above (obviously).

Missing the playoffs is a fail. Finishing with 70 points is an epic fail.

Regular season we finished 10th. If we finished 11th would you then say we finished in the top 15?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with finally getting out of the first round. But I'm also old enough to remember the Isles in the 1970s. Maybe the old instincts just started kicking in again. This season was good but not good enough.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007

#losermentality

I'm also pretty sure that DAL, WSH and the loser of the NSH/SJS series aren't looking to axe their GMs as a result of this season either. you know, except maybe the fringe crazies in their fanbases.

#losermentality

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm also pretty sure that DAL, WSH and the loser of the NSH/SJS series aren't looking to axe their GMs as a result of this season either. you know, except maybe the fringe crazies in their fanbases.

#losermentality

Are you saying Capuano is a good head coach in the NHL?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

#losermentality

Please stop.

1. I never said it was a great season. I said it was good.
2. YOU gave them a grade of B. I gave them a grade of B-. That means YOU thought the season more of a success that I did.
3. If you're a team the Presidents trophy winners or a perennial cup finalist, a 2nd exit is pretty poor. If you're an up an coming where making the 2nd round is progress from the previous year, you are going in the right direction.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am not here to defend Snow for his amazing moves of picking up PAP, Moulson, and Yan Danis.... Sense the sarcasm?

I can say that I am very happy with the majority of moves Snow has made the last couple of years. Maybe he is learning, maybe he is not. I do believe that after building this team (say what you want about how long it took) that Snow deserves this offseason to make us a real contender.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Missing the playoffs is a fail. Finishing with 70 points is an epic fail.

Regular season we finished 10th. If we finished 11th would you then say we finished in the top 15?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with finally getting out of the first round. But I'm also old enough to remember the Isles in the 1970s. Maybe the old instincts just started kicking in again. This season was good but not good enough.

I agree with this post 100%. The only thing that I would add is that had we finished 6th or 12th in the regular season but had the same exact playoff performance, I'd view the season the same way I do now. However, Had we finished 4th and lost in the first round, I would consider it a disappointment. In short, the regular season matters little (to me).

The season was good. Not good enough, but good.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The same thing that undermined the Isles did the same to the Caps - yet, in Islanderland fans blame the coach, yet in Capsland everyone is questioning the players - not the coach that has NEVER won a 2nd round despite numerous times in getting there.

Trotz came in and immediately improved the club. In his first two years they made it to round two which included beating us last year. How long has Capuano been at it? I would call that incomparable.

You might also remember how close we came to missing the playoffs in the final month, and the way the team plummeted to the 8th spot which hurt us last year.

Are you saying Trotz and Cappy are at the same coaching level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad