Seravalli: "Smoke" recently with Kerfoot and the Canucks

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
They could be interested in him? That's much more likely than the Leafs giving up picks for absolutely no reason, which you still haven't given an explanation for. Nobody needs to help the Leafs out. I don't think you understand the situation. They can waive Kerfoot. If he gets claimed, great. If he doesn't, he can be assigned to the Marlies and the Leafs have the requisite cap space to ice their roster. So why do they need to attach picks?
TDL is 3 days away, Neither you or I know whether the Leafs are done dealing or not. If they are looking to do anything further, or if this rumor was tied to a deal that didn't happen, the Leafs need out from some $. That is the explanation for why the Leafs give up picks, which is the only reason the Canucks would have any interest in Kerfoot.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
not apples to apples but considering that Edmonton didn't have to attach an asset to Puljujärvi (who make 3 mil) to move him out with how he's played this year, I doubt the Leafs have to attach an asset to Kerfoot to move him.
I think the difference is that Puljaarvi is a former high pick that some GMs still see as having some upside.
Kerfoot is what he is as a somewhat overpaid bottom six winger. I’d think a second or third would need to be attached to move his full salary. We will see.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
LOLOLOLOL
This thread is next level

Somebody actually brought up "Trading for him gives them option to add the 8th year"

in what FRANKING universe is Alexander Kerfot getting an 8 year deal
dude has 26 points.

Man we got to trade assets to get that Kerfoot kid, we need him locked up for not 7 years, but 8 years.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Would not be surrounded at all to see the Canucks give up an asset for Kerfoot if they’re confident that they can extend his contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would not be surrounded at all to see the Canucks give up an asset for Kerfoot if they’re confident that they can extend his contract.

Go look up Kerfoot's production when he's not playing in their top 6 as a winger. It's not good. He's a good skater and works hard though. Just not someone I would give assets for and some sucker is going to overpay him this summer like they did with Campbell. Leafs do have a history lately of making depth players look better than what they actually are. Their top end talent can do that.

He don't have any more value than Puljujarvi IMO. I would actually prefer Puljujarvi over Kerfoot... even if Kerfoot can play center.

Reactions: Nucker101

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
They could be interested in him? That's much more likely than the Leafs giving up picks for absolutely no reason, which you still haven't given an explanation for. Nobody needs to help the Leafs out. I don't think you understand the situation. They can waive Kerfoot. If he gets claimed, great. If he doesn't, he can be assigned to the Marlies and the Leafs have the requisite cap space to ice their roster. So why do they need to attach picks?
Kerfoot would be considered a buried contract, I believe the Leaf's would still count roughly 1 million toward the cap if he clears waivers.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs won't have to pay assets to get rid of these guys... worst case they could ship out any of those players for future considerations but I imagine they will get some sort of asset back especially if Holl is moved (he won't be)

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Wouldn't Kerfoot be on the Canucks' top line? Do they have anyone better? Would make sense for them to target a local guy for cheap.

Go look up Kerfoot's production when he's not playing in their top 6 as a winger. It's not good. He's a good skater and works hard though. Just not someone I would give assets for and some sucker is going to overpay him this summer like they did with Campbell. Leafs do have a history lately of making depth players look better than what they actually are. Their top end talent can do that.

He don't have any more value than Puljujarvi IMO. I would actually prefer Puljujarvi over Kerfoot... even if Kerfoot can play center.
So he produces with higher minutes? You don't say. I wonder if a team with significantly less options could use a Kerfoot in their top 6.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't Kerfoot be on the Canucks' top line? Do they have anyone better? Would make sense for them to target a local guy for cheap.

So he produces with higher minutes? You don't say. I wonder if a team with significantly less options could use a Kerfoot in their top 6.

He produces with higher min's when playing with one of the best top 6 forward groups in the NHL. Nice try with your little spin.

Canucks can go ahead and trade for him. He won't help or hurt their tank and it's not a bad guy to have in rebuild/transition years. Hope they don't pay him for his points on the Leafs though

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I left my car engine running. You just tell me where to pick him up and I'll drop him off to Pearson Airport
I'll even grab the coffee for the drive

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017

You think Kerfoot would be the Canucks best forward? When you have eyes but no brain.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I feel like if there's a trade it's basically as a cap clearing move for TO.

I could see something like Kerfoot + some B- prospect for some C+ prospect from the Canucks.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
LOLOLOLOL
This thread is next level

Somebody actually brought up "Trading for him gives them option to add the 8th year"

in what FRANKING universe is Alexander Kerfot getting an 8 year deal
dude has 26 points.

Man we got to trade assets to get that Kerfoot kid, we need him locked up for not 7 years, but 8 years.
I'm embarrassed for whoever brought that up. Kerfoot stinks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Okay? They only need about 200k or so if they run a 20 man roster. It's more than enough.

Risky. If you have another injury and they go on IR vs LTIR, you have to replace them and then your in real cap trouble cause IR contracts still count towards the cap and the player you replace him with chews into the daily formula for however long you need them

Running with a 20 man roster is not ideal. Leafs did it before but it's not something they want to do or it's easy to do.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Clearing Kerfoot's full cap hit allows them to make another move if they want.

Do the Canucks have a better forward than Kerfoot? Are you serious? Take a look at the top 10 scoring leaders.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Unless the Leafs have an even bigger, even more wild move they need to clear cap for, looks like Vancouver will be missing out on getting Kerfoot as the Leafs chose to move Engvall instead. Curiously, Engvall got them a pick and didn't have to be dumped despite being a worse player.

Reactions: TimeZone

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Unless the Leafs have an even bigger, even more wild move they need to clear cap for, looks like Vancouver will be missing out on getting Kerfoot as the Leafs chose to move Engvall instead. Curiously, Engvall got them a pick and didn't have to be dumped despite being a worse player.

Don't worry the Canucks still have two 1sts this year, they can still afford Kerfoot.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad